Gluing into polyclay

Old June 8th 05, 09:55 PM
Marisa Cappetta

Default Gluing into polyclay

I've made a silver bail for my charms that is basically a loop soldered to a
post. I want to drill into the charms I'm making and glue the post in. What
type of glue is recommended? I have hypocement and a two part epoxy but am
not sure if either of these will create an adverse chemical reaction with
the clay over time.
--
Marisa (AU/NZ)
http://www.galleryvittoria.com

Old June 8th 05, 11:47 PM
Georgia

Hypo cement will not hold; it's made to peel off of slick surfaces (it was
invented for watch crystals). I've had good luck using white PVA glue for
pin backs, but I've never tried to glue a post in.

HTH,

Georgia
www.georgiamorgan.net

Old June 9th 05, 08:57 AM
mermaidscove_com

You could use tls or soft sculpy, embed it and rebake. I always used
wire loops and made the end a bit jaggedy (like a lightning bolt) so
that it won't pull out once the soft clay over it becomes hard, if that
makes sense. It's more secure than most glued bales.
I like rubber cement for gluing bales but I can't speak to the
checmical reaction to clay as I haven't tried it, only with glass.

Ingrid

Old June 9th 05, 09:27 AM
Miracle Smith

mermaidscove_com wrote:
You could use tls or soft sculpy, embed it and rebake. I always used
wire loops and made the end a bit jaggedy (like a lightning bolt) so
that it won't pull out once the soft clay over it becomes hard, if
that makes sense. It's more secure than most glued bales.
I like rubber cement for gluing bales but I can't speak to the
checmical reaction to clay as I haven't tried it, only with glass.

Ingrid

I embed the same way Ingrid does, as I've not had any luck
with any glue. If I don't bend the embedded end of the eye pin
it tends to become loose and will pull out.

--
^,,^ Miracle

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old June 9th 05, 11:22 AM
Marisa Cappetta

Embedding the post is a good idea. It's a fairly simply matter for me to
'key' it in such a way that it locks into the clay. Thanks all for the
advice.
Marisa AU/NZ

"Miracle Smith" wrote in message
mermaidscove_com wrote:
You could use tls or soft sculpy, embed it and rebake. I always used
wire loops and made the end a bit jaggedy (like a lightning bolt) so
that it won't pull out once the soft clay over it becomes hard, if
that makes sense. It's more secure than most glued bales.
I like rubber cement for gluing bales but I can't speak to the
checmical reaction to clay as I haven't tried it, only with glass.

Ingrid

I embed the same way Ingrid does, as I've not had any luck
with any glue. If I don't bend the embedded end of the eye pin
it tends to become loose and will pull out.

--
^,,^ Miracle

http://www.uncensored-news.com
The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old June 12th 05, 02:51 PM
enui

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 08:55:31 +1200, "Marisa Cappetta"
wrote:

I've made a silver bail for my charms that is basically a loop soldered to a
post. I want to drill into the charms I'm making and glue the post in. What
type of glue is recommended? I have hypocement and a two part epoxy but am
not sure if either of these will create an adverse chemical reaction with
the clay over time.

I use Pattex "Ripara Extreme"
It is very strong, and so far I have not had any strange reaction. I've
some pieces I've glued at least two years ago, so I assume it's pretty
safe
--
enui
Old July 2nd 05, 08:40 AM
Robert Houghtaling

Hi folks,
I haven't posted in a long time (long story, won't go into it). Been
keeping up with the list though. Not as much activity as there used to
be, especially from those doing sculpture. Nice to see some new
sculptors on the group. I've started a new project. don't know how it
will be received. Take a look.
http://mountedcowboys.com
The pics on the page are of the polymer clay originals (Jack Johnston's
ProSculpt). The bronzes will be up as soon as they come from the foundry.
Hope you like. Enjoy,
Robert
Old July 2nd 05, 12:05 PM
crna_ofca

Robert Houghtaling wrote:
Hi folks,
I haven't posted in a long time (long story, won't go into it). Been
keeping up with the list though. Not as much activity as there used to
be, especially from those doing sculpture. Nice to see some new
sculptors on the group. I've started a new project. don't know how it
will be received. Take a look.
http://mountedcowboys.com
The pics on the page are of the polymer clay originals (Jack Johnston's
ProSculpt). The bronzes will be up as soon as they come from the foundry.
Hope you like. Enjoy,
Robert

niiiice those faces are so good
plump one is my fav.. will every cowboy be unique or you will use same
faces?
you could use "saloon door" for base ie, your base has good shape, but
it doesn't look so cowboyish to me..

--
..~*I'm an angel, honest! These horns are just to keep my halo up.*~.
Old July 2nd 05, 07:22 PM
Robert Houghtaling

crna_ofca wrote:

niiiice those faces are so good
plump one is my fav.. will every cowboy be unique or you will use same
faces?
you could use "saloon door" for base ie, your base has good shape, but
it doesn't look so cowboyish to me..

These first five cowboys will be offered in limited editions. They will
be mounted on really nice polished wood panels, like trophy heads (the
plagues in the pics are just to get an idea of how they will look). If
people like these I will add some different heads.
Old July 3rd 05, 03:15 PM
Sarajane Helm

Hi Robert! good to see ya again. Great cowboys, aI particularly like the
neckware details.
SJ

--
Sarajane's Polyclay Gallery