Have you tried this pattern?

Old November 5th 03, 12:57 PM
Julia Altshuler

Patti wrote:
Oh Lia!
At last - I know a colour consultant. Hurray g
NOW I will know where to come on those very frequent occasions when I
simply don't know 'which to choose'!!!!

I would LOVE that. I sit around choosing colors and fabrics. You guys
make the quilts. (I have a relative who got into trouble with me for
suggesting that. She wanted all the fun parts.)

Only one part of this plan strikes me as odd. Y'all have never seen my
quilts. You might hate them. (My boyfriend doesn't like most of them
and most that he sees at shows. He says mine are too bright to sleep
under. He likes quilts with 3-4 fabrics in soft colors, like all
pastels or monochrome blue.)

The challenge for me here is in staying within the quiltmaker's tastes.
If she says "wild," I have to choose "wild." If she says
"conservative," I have to go with that. That's interesting and
something I've never done before.

And another thing-- I have plenty of stores with chocolate in them here,
and chevre would smell icky after coming through the mail ...

--Lia

Old November 5th 03, 01:13 PM
Bonnie

Thanks for the wonderful color descriptions. I've printed
this out for future use.
Bonnie
NJ

Julia Altshuler wrote:

Oh, O.K. (You made it easy.) Look at the picture on page 59. Decide
where you want the stand-out pinwheels and where you want the moosh
together pinwheels. Photocopy or mark the picture for the stand-outs.
(The others can be more randomly placed.)

We'll name the colors. They'll be Darks, Mooshes and Stand-outs.

You already have the Darks. I like your choices.

The Mooshes will be mediums and greyed, not bright. That will be cadet
blue, forest or hunter green, eggplant purple, burgundy red and medium
grey. For these, I'd keep away from solids or almost solid and go with
fabrics that have a bit of contrast, something in medium to large
florals or paisleys or batiks.

For the Stand-Outs, anything will do as long as it is light or bright.
For happy but not hysterical, I wouldn't have too many, maybe only 5
pinwheels or fewer. Why not go with the light or bright versions of the
colors you've already got? Choose from peacock blue, spring green,
lavender and pink.

If you'd like, contact me privately for my snail address. You'll send
me scraps of the dark fabrics you've chosen and cut; I'll send you back
scraps of my ideas of what would look good with them. Do not send
chevre through the mail. That is a BAD idea.

--Lia

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old November 5th 03, 01:34 PM
Polly Esther

Thank you. Thank you so much. Especially thank you for being here with me,
and for giving me a big hunk of your quilting time. Alligators are great
guard dogs but they're just the pits when it comes to sharing quilting
design. I'm off to choose mooshing fabric. I can do that. Yes, I can. Polly

Old November 5th 03, 02:55 PM
Julia Altshuler

Bonnie wrote:
Thanks for the wonderful color descriptions. I've printed this out for
future use.
Bonnie

That is such a compliment, but I don't deserve it. Everything I know
about and write about color is paraphrased from a few good books on the
subject. Look at Jinny Beyer's _Color Confidence for Quilters_, Suzanne
Tessier Hammond's _Designing Quilts: The Value of Value_, and Joen
Wolfrom's _Color Play_. You'll know as much about color as I do, and
they say it better and with pictures. Thanks for the compliment. It
means a lot to me, and flattery will get you everywhere.

--Lia

Old November 5th 03, 05:16 PM
Bonnie

Julia Altshuler wrote:
Bonnie wrote:

Look at Jinny Beyer's _Color Confidence for Quilters_,
Suzanne
Tessier Hammond's _Designing Quilts: The Value of Value_, and Joen
Wolfrom's _Color Play_. You'll know as much about color as I do, and
they say it better and with pictures. Thanks for the compliment. It
means a lot to me, and flattery will get you everywhere.

--Lia

I've made a list of the books you mentioned. I'll put them
on my wish list!

--
Bonnie
NJ