Jinny Beyer Tessellations

Old October 31st 03, 06:52 PM
BDS2pds

Default Jinny Beyer Tessellations

Hey Teresa,
Thanks for answering me in the quilting group. I am thinking of offering
myself up to do art wall hangings or throws for both of my sons for Christmas.
Obviously not enough time left for me to finish them as I hawve a stack here to
do before that day but thought they might like to choose the quilt idea and the
Beyer book came up in my research. I need a pattern however. Does the book
include machine quilting of these objects or is it totally hand sewn? That is
what I was curious about cuz I don't do hand sewn quilts any more.
Have you seen Marcia Baker's books ? She has a star and one on the tumbling
blocks which are optical as well called "Not Your Grandmother's Tumbling Blocks
Quilts" and it is strip quilted so I have a chance with those. I am
specifically looking for optical illusion quilts as the boys are 22 and 19 and
would get into that and would not for sure want a traditional quilt . We saw
an Escher exhibit once together so knew the older son particularly would like
this.
Thanks for your help! barbara
Old October 31st 03, 10:17 PM
Patti

Hullo Barbara
You could also try Jackie Robinson for Tessellation's. Her patterns are
very straightforward; and quite suitable for 'chaps'.
..
In article , BDS2pds
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 31st 03, 10:56 PM
Teresa in Colorado

Jinny does all of her work by hand - never machine. I'd love to see an
Escher exhibit. I have a book - it's fascinating.

Look on her web site - there are a couple of tesselation designs that are
not horribly difficult. Look:
http://www.jinnybeyer.com/patterns/b...FTOKEN=5786371
http://www.jinnybeyer.com/patterns/b...FTOKEN=5786371

Yes - I've seen Marcia's patterns. She lives pretty close to me - a very
nice lady. The tumbling blocks is a good one for optical illusions.
--
Teresa in Colorado

The Presser Foot
Sewing Machine Sales, Service, Supplies, and More
www.thepresserfoot.com

Old November 1st 03, 12:57 AM
BDS2pds

Can Marcia' s quilts be done on machine?

Old November 1st 03, 02:33 PM
Liz & Allan MacDonald

BDS2pds wrote:
I am
specifically looking for optical illusion quilts as the boys are 22 and 19 and
would get into that and would not for sure want a traditional quilt .

Hi Barbara,
Karen Combs' book _Optical Illusions for Quilters_ has a quilt called
Hologram Cube on the cover. My version of it is on my webshots page.
It's all done by machine.

http://community.webshots.com/user/am1384

Liz

Old November 1st 03, 06:58 PM
Mystified One

I found a free pattern for a tessellating leaf.

http://www.geocities.com/pcpiecers/tessellatedleaf.html

I can see it done completely in fall colors.

Old November 1st 03, 07:16 PM
AliceW

I like this pattern as well, and love the idea of autumn colors, but IMHO,
it really is not a "tessellating" pattern. A true tessellating pattern has
pieces that interlock and have no space between the pieces. There is a link
on this site to the Jinny Beyer page and her "Wind Chimes" pattern. This
one shows what I mean better than I can explain it, to be sure.
http://planetpatchwork.com/tesselat.htm

--
Alice in NJ
www.ourcyberfamily.us

Old November 2nd 03, 12:43 AM
Pat in Virginia

Alice:
Look again! This Ozark Maple Leaf is an old standard and most
certainly is a tessellation design. There are no spaces ... just
leaves in a positive - negative arrangement. In the example
provided, the quilter alternated white leaves and green leaves.
My friend made one with one dark tone on tone fabric
(brown/black) alternating with variety of autumnal prints. Again,
+/-. It can be done another way ... with colors instead of +/-.
That's what I did .... I made a WH/Runner using a different
fabric for each leaf ... a total of about 40 leaves IIRC. It is
the quilt I gave DN a few weeks ago.
PAT in VA/USA

Old November 2nd 03, 01:00 AM
AliceW

Pat, I guess I am not looking at it correctly. Maybe the colors are
throwing me off. Perhaps if I print it out it will fall into place. I
guess this is one of those pictures where you either see a vase or two
faces.

The tessellations I am used to seeing are like the ones on this page:
http://planetpatchwork.com/tesselat.htm

With the leaves pattern, I don't see the interlocking. Again, it's probably
me just not seeing it correctly.

Old November 2nd 03, 01:04 AM
AliceW

Mea culpa, mea culpa to you and Sandy. I had a glass of wine and took a
closer look. I was looking at the arrows and not the leaf. When I included
the little triangles under the head of the "arrow", I saw the pattern - er,
the "tessellating pattern"! I humbly stand corrected.