FYI: comments made here may be elsewhere

Old January 31st 04, 07:14 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

True, but just try getting people to stop . . . let alone having to
constantly do "ego searches" to see who stole what next.

There is a business on the Internet that is using one of my essays, word
for word, and I fought with him for months to either take it down, or
make a link to me with credit for the article. He has done neither. I
can't afford an attorney, nor do I have the emotional stamina to file a
brief by myself. So, . . . . there it sits.

My main reason for posting was to alert people what's going on behind
the scenes. I would be willing to bet 90% of you out there don't know
it's going on. It may, or may not cause you to: change your behavior;
write your legislator; call your attorney. :-)

Dianne

Jeri wrote:

"Bungadora" wrote in message

With regards to the site Diane referenced, well, at least they aren't
charging. After all, everything we post is in the public domain, and
we should be conscious of that.

snip

Actually this is a myth.
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Anyone who has had what they've posted to Usenet used without their
permission has the right to request it be removed immediately.

Old January 31st 04, 07:20 PM
Ellice

On 1/31/04 11:24 AM,"Bungadora" posted:

With regards to the site Diane referenced, well, at least they aren't
charging.
After all, everything we post is in the public domain, and we should be
conscious of that. We aren't in a safe little hut talking. It would have been
nice if they took out last names though. And it's rather rude to just repost
without asking.

True, but as you point out - when we're using USENET, it's a good thing to
remember to how vast an audience you're broadcasting.

As to your incident, Ellice, it doesn't take very much for some people to
embark on a program of 'vengence'. Back in the days before internet, and no

*snip*

enough for her to make a series of 'hang-up' and rude phone calls. And
internet
is the same way. Look at the things people get upset about here. Stuff that
wouldn't otherwise be worth the time of day. Some people sulk, some walk away,
and some will barrage the offender with spam and rants.

Isn't the way some people use technology grand?

You're right - but it's just human nature. I guess you have to keep in mind
that people can present themselves as they wish via the little electrons.
While most of us are for the most part who we say we are, there are many
that can use the internet as a relatively anonymous role-playing, or
vengeance tool. When this nutty guy did this to me, I felt kind of sorry
for him, was a bit perplexed at him using me - though obviously if he'd gone
directly after DH it would've been so obvious, and just worried about
anything actually being attributable to me. After shaking heads, laughing,
moaning - and spending way too much time to get it tracked down - I don't
have any angst about it. But, I do wonder at people wasting their time, just
for malice (not that it isn't tempting upon occasion).

ellice

Old January 31st 04, 08:30 PM
Jeri

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message

True, but just try getting people to stop . . . let alone having to
constantly do "ego searches" to see who stole what next.

snip

I didn't say it would be easy. )
I just wanted to correct the perception that what's posted to Usenet is
public domain.
--
Jeri

Old January 31st 04, 08:35 PM
Bungadora

Ooooh! I used to have a picture on my hard drive of a big fat white cat
slouched on its back against the sofa, with a beer near one front paw, and the
channel changer by the other. It was titled "How to tell your cat is male".
Gone, unfortunately, or I would send it to you.

With all the cold weather both cats have been taking turns sitting on me. I'm
just warm blooded furniture with a bonus function of being able to feed and
scratch them.
Dora

(Karen C - California)

In article ,
(Bungadora) writes:

(cat on other arm 1 hand typing)

Cat sitting in front of TV waiting for the game to start, because she heard
Panthers were playing, and doesn't want to risk missing a minute of it.

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Fireman's Prayer, Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler,

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html

Old January 31st 04, 11:24 PM
Jenn Liace

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:17:01 -0600, Dianne Lewandowski
wrote:

It's not just being archived at
Google, it's being used as fodder for other interested parties

Okay, I just did an ego search on myself, and it APPEARS ( I could be
wrong) that what I'm seeing is RCTN being fed through dozens of sites.
Most of them were addresses along the lines of domain/rctn/messages
(probably just different news servers?), and there were one or two
that had links to Usenet groups on their sides that required
registration to continue (and the link on the Google search took me
only to the home page, searching for my name on that page came up not
found) and a couple seemed to rename the group but the messages all
looked identical. As in every single post I see here through my
Giganews account feeding into Agent is being republished (?) there.
Now, I didn't go through all 6 pages of results to check on every
single hit, so I may have missed something. But that's what I found.

Jenn L.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
http://sewu9corn.blogspot.com
Current projects:
Lady Scarlet's Journey (Just Nan)
Simply Sensational January Calendar (Mill Hill)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)
Old February 1st 04, 08:08 PM
COL. BILL KILGORE

animaux wrote:

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 09:21:39 -0500, Ellice opined:

Well, don't just give in. You have your address munged - that's worth
something.

It didn't prevent some idiot from stalking me out, then posting my name and
address. I reported it to the police.

Bull****. Why don't you be honest with your friends on this NG and tell them
how it was YOU who jumped into the ARTD-L newsgroup with taunts and
name-calling. Tell them how you dissed other posters religious beliefs while
holding your values up above everyone elses. And last but not least, tell
these good folks how it was YOU who openly challenged several other posters to
try and find out your name and post a description of your home. And when your
challenge was sucessfully met, you started the whining, crying and "stalking"
bullrot. AND AT NO TIME WAS YOUR HOME ADDRESS EVER PUBLISHED! You seem to have
a tendancy to be "less than truthful" as was illustrated recently in some of
your shenanigans on this group. Do you lie for a living or is it just a hobby?

Old February 1st 04, 09:30 PM
Ellice

On 2/1/04 12:59 PM,"animaux" posted:

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 09:21:39 -0500, Ellice opined:

Well, don't just give in. You have your address munged - that's worth
something.

It didn't prevent some idiot from stalking me out, then posting my name and
address. I reported it to the police.

Wow - that's extreme. Good thing you did report it.

ellice

Old February 2nd 04, 12:01 AM
crewelwoman

I have been lurking in ARTD-L for years. The "Kernal" is a loon. None
of what he says below is true. Google for the truth if you wish.

Crewelwoman