Global Warming

Old January 29th 04, 05:16 PM
Karen C - California

Jim, stand up and take a bow!

According to this morning's weather trivia, the coldest national capital in the
world is drumroll, please Ottawa, Canada.

We in this capital city have our own troubles this morning. According to the
picture on SkyCam, someone snuck in overnight and stole our airport. We have a
dense fog advisory till 11 AM. Just from here to the building across the
street -- maybe 30 feet? -- is mildly hazy, so it's not surprising that SkyCam
can't see from the parking lot to the terminal.

We have already had our first 60 of the year, and in a couple weeks will have
our first 70. Now if only we could get rid of this fog (San Diego Chamber of
Commerce requires it be called "Morning Marine Layer", but up here we're
allowed to use the F-word) and accompanying dampness.....

Which of you from the frozen north wants to refugee into my guest room to
persuade me that 52 is positively tropical?

Bah, humbug. Got my eye on some desert where it's 100 year-round.

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe, Guide the Hands (2d

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old January 29th 04, 09:52 PM
Dawne Peterson

"Fred" wrote ..
Don't you just love the way the tires harden up with the flat spots on

the
bottom. Bump, bump, bump.....

That's why, last January when the temperature was -45, I got several blocks
on a tire that actually WAS flat, unable to tell the bumping from the
regular square tire ride.
Dawne

Old January 29th 04, 11:27 PM
Joan Erickson

Karen C - California wrote:

We'll have our first 100 in
May, just like them. I just don't like the two months of 50s. I'm spoiled. I
want to be warm all year.

Even with the cold (hasn't gotten above -20 today!), I like our 4
definite seasons. The 100 degree temps in the summer make me appreciate
the cold and these frigid temps make me appreciate the 100s!!!

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old January 29th 04, 11:38 PM
Rachel Janzen

Joan Erickson wrote:

Amateurs - -42 last night before the windchill.

I concede!!! Where are you Rachel? Must be in Manitoba or
Saskatchewan? The weatherman said last night that -40 is where the
Celsius and Farenheit thermometers match up.

Rachel - oh and they are still forecasting some snow.

Well, at least that means it will be warmer!!!

Location: SK Warmer is a relative term. -31 overnight with blizzard
conditions come morning. :-) I don't know if there is anything else to say!

Rachel

Old January 29th 04, 11:49 PM
Texasxsgal1

We'll have our first 100 in
May, just like them.

Why so late? Back in 1996, we had 100 degrees on Feb 21 (thsw was three weeks
after the city was shut down by an "ice storm"- maybe 1/8 inch if
measurable.
I'll take the 100 degrees over the ice anytime
kathy
san antonio
Old January 29th 04, 11:54 PM
Karen C - California

In article , Joan Erickson
writes:

I like our 4
definite seasons.

Nope. I like San Diego, land of permanent Spring. 70 degrees and sunny year
round. I missed the fall colors, but that's the only thing. I could easily
have autumn leaves shipped to me by people in the east.

The median-priced house there is currently going for half-a-mill, but when I
win the Lotto and can afford one of those, I'm going back to stay. Meanwhile,
looking at less expensive options, like Guatemala. When the next generation of
illegal immigrants shows up speaking fluent English, you'll know who taught it
to them.

But I think you'd figure that out the first time they try to say "F you" and it
comes out "Deport me!"
VBEG

Old January 30th 04, 01:11 AM
Tamara

Nope. I like San Diego, land of permanent Spring. 70 degrees and sunny
year
round. I missed the fall colors, but that's the only thing. I could easily
have autumn leaves shipped to me by people in the east.

So not true! It was a frigid 64 today. I had to turn the furnace on! You
could get a nice little condo for about $300K.

OTOH, I planted primrose today. The geraniums are blooming and the
hyacinths and daffodils are up.
--
Tamara in sunny San Diego