Buffing - finally!

Old January 4th 05, 05:57 AM
Carla

Default Buffing - finally!

I mentioned just recently that I was having less than successful results
with buffing. I was feeling discouraged.

The latest effort was using a Q-Tip wrapped in muslin, then stuck in a
little battery operated drill (from American Scientific, btw. Great
place to shop). It seemed like it would be a quick and painless way to
get the job done, but it wasn't giving me the high sheen I wanted.

While I was talking to someone on the phone tonight, I picked up the
drill and was just kinda rubbing it across a bead, and I got a much
brighter look. Okay, I think, just use the muslin and rub the bead; so
I took a piece of cloth, folded it around the bead and began to rub, and
the bead promptly shot out the side. But I was definitely getting
better results

So I sat down and stitched a little muslin bag, then dropped the bead
inside, holding the open end closed, and rubbed the bead with both sides
of the cloth...and there it was! The sheen! I'm so excited And it
was a *lot* quicker than rubbing a piece on my jeans.

You more experienced clayers probably already knew about this, but this
is a cool new thing for me. I can't wait to bake up a whole new batch
next weekend, and buff my a** off!

Cheers,
Carla
Old January 4th 05, 06:42 AM
~Candace~

Having seen firsthand where Carla would sit to buff her a** off...this gives
me a smile. I got this image of her Dh sticking his head around the corner
into the kitchen to watch her work diligently at a small muslin bag, a
bemused smile on his face. heeheehee

By the way....Carla is holding out on us.....I saw her clay beads.....can we
give a collective DAYUM! I'm still thinking of the faux-cinnabar pendant
she had sitting on her table last week..that thing was inspiring! :-)

~Candace~

link.net...

Old January 4th 05, 07:47 AM
Carla

Aw, go on with ya! blush

I could say the same about your entire box of pretties/sparklies. And
I'm still in awe about those leaves. Can't wait to see what you do with
them.

Truly, a high point of my holiday season this year was getting to spend
the day with you, shopping and torching and hanging out in general

Cheers,
Carla

~Candace~ wrote:
Having seen firsthand where Carla would sit to buff her a** off...this gives
me a smile. I got this image of her Dh sticking his head around the corner
into the kitchen to watch her work diligently at a small muslin bag, a
bemused smile on his face. heeheehee

By the way....Carla is holding out on us.....I saw her clay beads.....can we
give a collective DAYUM! I'm still thinking of the faux-cinnabar pendant
she had sitting on her table last week..that thing was inspiring! :-)

~Candace~

link.net...

Old January 4th 05, 03:20 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

I got very nice results using the muslin buffing wheels that came with my
dremel, but they are pricey. Grant Diffendaffer uses polyester fleece and
gets a superb shine. I want to try hemp fabric, personally, but need to
find a seamstress to make me the buffing wheels.

Here are instructions to make your own buffing wheels (plus other really
handy tips):

http://www.desiredcreations.com/howTo_Desk.htm

Barbara

Old January 5th 05, 11:32 PM
Stephanie

I happen to be the lucky owner of some Carla beads and they are
gorgeous! Swirly green and silver lentils...

Old January 5th 05, 11:42 PM
Diana Curtis

I wanna seeeeee....
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too
oups.com...

Old January 6th 05, 04:10 AM
Carla

Thanks, Stephanie, I'm glad you liked 'em Those were from my first
foray into swirled lentils (which I can't seem to stop doing now! g)

Cheers,
Carla

Old January 6th 05, 04:31 AM
Carla

Hmmmm...seems silly that I can't remember which ones I sent, without
pulling out the box to see what's still here I think it was this

http://tinyurl.com/56rfs

or this

http://tinyurl.com/62m86

Cheers,
Carla

Diana Curtis wrote:

I wanna seeeeee....
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too
oups.com...

Old January 6th 05, 04:52 AM
Carla

I've been looking at dremels and dremel-like rotary tools. I've got a
dinky little one that operates at about half the speed of a dremel. My
concern is that the speed might make it difficult to handle/control. Is
there a particular dremel you'd recommend? Pricewise, I was thinking of
the cordless MiniMite.

Cheers,
Carla

Old January 6th 05, 03:27 PM
Diana Curtis

Pretty!! I love green and gold together.
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too
"Carla" wrote in message
k.net...
Hmmmm...seems silly that I can't remember which ones I sent, without
pulling out the box to see what's still here I think it was this

http://tinyurl.com/56rfs

or this

http://tinyurl.com/62m86

Cheers,
Carla

Diana Curtis wrote:

I wanna seeeeee....
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too
"Stephanie" wrote in message
oups.com...

I happen to be the lucky owner of some Carla beads and they are
gorgeous! Swirly green and silver lentils...

AD- New beads...finally :) ~ SPIglass Studio Paulette I. Beads 2 December 16th 04 07:57 PM
AD: Finally back in the studio/JB auctions Susan B. Beads 12 August 27th 04 04:06 PM
AD: Finally a Button starlia Beads 10 July 15th 04 05:57 PM
OT My dad finally passed away tonight Cheri2Star Beads 28 June 25th 04 09:09 PM
AD: Finally back melting glass. EBay and JB auctions Susan B. Beads 14 April 14th 04 08:34 PM