Sorby or Pfeil?

Old December 31st 04, 12:37 AM

Default Sorby or Pfeil?

Which brand of chisel do you like better and why? I like the way Sorby
chisels are made & look. I like the long blades and the way the handles
are constructed and shaped. Pfeil looks kind of chintzy. They have
shorter blades and simpler handles. Is there any advantage in having a
shorter blade? I haven't bought any carving chisels yet. I've been
using carpenters chisels and a rotary tool.

Old December 31st 04, 03:46 AM
Dave Jackson

I'm having the same dilemma- which brand and style of chisels to purchase.
I agree with you on the Pfeils. Haven't seen the Sorbys yet, but so far the
Henry Taylors have my vote. They just felt right in my hands. Hopefully
someone will offer some insight! --dave

ups.com...

Old December 31st 04, 02:16 PM
Minorite

Which brand of chisel do you like better and why?

i like stubai and flexcut, with flexcut being on top for today at least. easy
to handle and simple to sharpen.
bob
Old December 31st 04, 05:34 PM
bernie feinerman

I have used Pfeil, Flexcut, and Warrne gouges and think the Pfeil's are the
best.

bernie feinerman

Old January 1st 05, 12:47 AM
Kerry

Snip

Hi there...nice to see some life in the group. I have been using FlexCut,
very comfortable...Kerry

Old January 3rd 05, 08:16 PM
George

I like the two Pfeils I own, but the bulk of mine are Austrian "Fisch"
brand. Don't even know if they're made any more. They've hex handles and
good-sized bolsters. I suppose Stubai are the closest in appearance.

I'm a ham-handed guy, so large suits me best. For delicate work, the mallet
gives good control.

ups.com...