OT - I don't believe it!

Old July 18th 10, 09:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher

Default OT - I don't believe it!

The world has gone mad!
Thank goodness I live up here where a degree of sanity still exists.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old July 19th 10, 12:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
melb

We were at a market yesterday when we spotted a couple of Christmas trees
and decorations for sale however we decided they must have been for
"Christmas in July" which is quite commonly held at various venues around
Australia

Edna in Sydney

Old July 19th 10, 01:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman[_2_]

On 7/18/2010 4:19 PM, Bruce Fletcher wrote:
The world has gone mad!
Thank goodness I live up here where a degree of sanity still exists.

I don't see how this is *so* different than year-round stores that sell
nothing but Christmas stuff. Sometimes I enjoy purchasing unusual pieces
no matter the time of year, and put them aside until Christmas -
especially in tourist areas. (Assuming I *remember* that I did
so...sometimes I forget and have a pleasant surprise a year or two later
when the treasures are "unearthed.")

sue

--
Susan Hartman
Old July 19th 10, 08:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher

On 19/07/2010 01:41, Susan Hartman wrote:
On 7/18/2010 4:19 PM, Bruce Fletcher wrote:
The world has gone mad!
Thank goodness I live up here where a degree of sanity still exists.

I don't see how this is *so* different than year-round stores that sell
nothing but Christmas stuff. Sometimes I enjoy purchasing unusual pieces
no matter the time of year, and put them aside until Christmas -
especially in tourist areas. (Assuming I *remember* that I did
so...sometimes I forget and have a pleasant surprise a year or two later
when the treasures are "unearthed.")

sue

I don't remember seeing any "year-round stores" when we lived in England.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old July 19th 10, 07:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Jul 19, 8:08*am, Bruce Fletcher
wrote:
On 19/07/2010 01:41, Susan Hartman wrote:

On 7/18/2010 4:19 PM, Bruce Fletcher wrote:
The world has gone mad!
Thank goodness I live up here where a degree of sanity still exists.

I don't see how this is *so* different than year-round stores that sell
nothing but Christmas stuff. Sometimes I enjoy purchasing unusual pieces
no matter the time of year, and put them aside until Christmas -
especially in tourist areas. (Assuming I *remember* that I did
so...sometimes I forget and have a pleasant surprise a year or two later
when the treasures are "unearthed.")

sue

I don't remember seeing any "year-round stores" when we lived in England.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

There's a Christmas shop in Bath Bruce ,but then, Bath does cater
mainly to tourists !!!
Jan in warm and muggy Wiltshire - so hot today but I think we'll have
a storm tonight
Old July 20th 10, 06:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
melb

" wrote in
message
wrote:
[...]

WE have an all year round Christmas Shop in Sydney at Ramsgate and several
around the country.

Edna

Old July 22nd 10, 08:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 7/20/10 1:30 PM, in article ,
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 7/19/10 3:08 AM, in article ,
"Bruce Fletcher" wrote:

On 19/07/2010 01:41, Susan Hartman wrote:
On 7/18/2010 4:19 PM, Bruce Fletcher wrote:
The world has gone mad!
Thank goodness I live up here where a degree of sanity still exists.

I don't see how this is *so* different than year-round stores that sell
nothing but Christmas stuff. Sometimes I enjoy purchasing unusual pieces
no matter the time of year, and put them aside until Christmas -
especially in tourist areas. (Assuming I *remember* that I did
so...sometimes I forget and have a pleasant surprise a year or two later
when the treasures are "unearthed.")

sue

I don't remember seeing any "year-round stores" when we lived in England.

Christmas shops abound - there are several in NH that I can think of right
off the top of my head. And I've heard mention of a Halloween themed shop
some place in the northern end of NH or Vermont.

Cheryl

Christmas shops in the malls around here. We were in one recently (not
buying) and their sign said "look for the Halloween Shop in August." I
guess they swap over for a couple of months, or at least do a partial swap.

Also, there are a lot of shops that do a Christmas in July kind of sale -
some LNS here, and other big shops.

It is kind of amazing to think that Selfridges would be fully decorated for
the Christmas season so early - maybe it's only going to be a partial
Christmas in the summer promo, then they'll go back to the Fall stuff. Who
knows. That used to be my favorite dept store in London (I still have my
fabulous wish I could fit into it winter coat from there).

ellice

Old July 23rd 10, 07:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Liz from Humbug

On Jul 22, 12:01*pm, "Ellice K." wrote:
On 7/20/10 1:30 PM, in article ,

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:
On 7/19/10 3:08 AM, in article ,
"Bruce Fletcher" wrote:

[...]

The lawyer who used to give me a ride to Berkeley in the mornings (he
lived across the street from us) told me about looking out his office
window one afternoon in JUNE to see Christmas decorations being hung
up. Shortly after that he received a call from the local Chamber of
Commerce, telling him that they were "testing" the decorations to see
which ones the local business owners felt they could live with for the
next several years. :-) Sure enough, they were back down two weeks
later, after a decision had been made. I guess they had different
designs on different streets so the business community could give
their opinions. :-)

Liz from Humbug