soldering stained glass with hardware store solder?

Old April 18th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
n2dwoods

Default soldering stained glass with hardware store solder?

Hi, just curious if anyone out there solders stained glass with the
cheaper solder you can find in the plumbing dept of home depot? They
only carry lead-free solder, and it's $6 for a pound, yet in the hobby
stores the lead-free solder specifically for stained glass is over
$20. Is it the same thing???

I'm hoping to stay safe and not spend too much in my new hobby!

Old April 18th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Adrian

Hi

On 18 Apr 2007 11:57:31 -0700, n2dwoods wrote:

Hi, just curious if anyone out there solders stained glass with the
cheaper solder you can find in the plumbing dept of home depot? They
only carry lead-free solder, and it's $6 for a pound, yet in the hobby
stores the lead-free solder specifically for stained glass is over
$20. Is it the same thing???

I'm hoping to stay safe and not spend too much in my new hobby!

Been there - tried that !

I got the impression that the cheaper stuff is rather more variable in
composition - which meant it's less predictable to work with...
Also seemed to give a duller finish than the 'proper' stuff.

This isn't scientific, mind - just the result of observation....

Regards
Adrian
Old April 18th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Adrian

Oh - and by the way.....

I believe that the risks from working with lead-based solder
are exaggerated - you'd need to actually chew the stuff to
have a noticeable effect....

Regards
Adrian
Old April 19th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Mike Firth

Actually, the risks come from handling the lead and touching your face,
mouth, food and drink as well as your children. Chewing the lead is probably
less risky than dealing with the dust. There are a number of documented
cases of stained glass workers who were tested after years of work and high
blood levels of lead were found. When habits were changed, levels went
down.
While working with lead came, lead based solders, cleaning soldering,
handling windows, especially old windows being repaired, the hands should be
washed frequently and use of latex gloves should be considered. The face
should not be wiped with the hand to remove sweat or to clear the eyes and
habitual moves of touching the chin in thought, resting the hand on the
face, rubbing the forehead, rubbing the nose or eyelids in fatigue should be
avoided. Food - sandwiches, fruit, etc. - must not be handled without
thorough washing and not left around the shop waiting to be eaten. Cans or
bottles of beverages which are drunk from directly and open glasses should
not remain, full or empty, in the shop.

--
Mike Firth
Furnace Glassblowing Website

Old April 19th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
nJb

Mike Firth wrote:
[...]

Also, hands should be washed before going to the bathroom. I was taught
in industrial hygiene that the scrotum is made of some of the most
absorbent skin on the body. The ladies don't get a free pass, it looks
like that same type of skin, a more durable grade, is used to cover
elbows. Elbows off the table please.

Jack
Old April 19th 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman@work

"n2dwoods" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, just curious if anyone out there solders stained glass with the
cheaper solder you can find in the plumbing dept of home depot? They
only carry lead-free solder, and it's $6 for a pound, yet in the hobby
stores the lead-free solder specifically for stained glass is over
$20. Is it the same thing???

I'm hoping to stay safe and not spend too much in my new hobby!

If there was a cheaper alternative that worked well, we'd all be using
it. Get the good stuff, and you'll have a better chance of doing good
looking work.

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com

Old April 21st 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

Watch me on May 16th on HGTV's "Hammered" ream out the shows funnyman for
being a cheap SOB and using flea market solder.

Old April 21st 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

"glassman" wrote in message

Watch me on May 16th on HGTV's "Hammered" ream out the shows funnyman

for
being a cheap SOB and using flea market solder.

I bet he wasn't using a 900F tip, either.

Old May 9th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
arrallen

"nJb" wrote in message
Mike Firth wrote:
[...]

I worked commercially with stained glass and lead based solder for years.
Had my blood tested every six months for abnormal lead levels and never had
a problem. Just use common sense, don't eat at your work bench and wash
your hands regularly. I found thru trial and error that Dial liquid hand
soap did the best job of getting the lead dust off my hands. I also had a
stove type exhaust fan over my bench to draw away any lead and acid fumes.
Rich

Old May 19th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman@work

"Steve Ackman" wrote in message
rg...
In , on Fri, 20 Apr 2007 21:18:16
-0400, glassman wrote:

Watch me on May 16th on HGTV's "Hammered" ream out the shows funnyman
for
being a cheap SOB and using flea market solder.

I just looked at today's listing, and couldn't find any
"Hammered." Has it been rescheduled?

The show got cancelled, and will be on the Do It Yourself Network later
this year.

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com
www.MyConeyIslandMemories.com

New Jersey stained glass store Romayne Naylor Glass 4 January 16th 07 12:12 AM
Should I buy a local stained glass supply store? [email protected] Glass 33 February 9th 06 10:38 PM
Dremel Versatip for Soldering Stained Glass Philip Lewis Glass 27 November 21st 05 09:41 PM
Hardware store update Harry Beads 10 December 22nd 03 10:15 PM
FA: Glass scrap/strips and some hardware (lampshade related) Howard Marketplace 0 December 11th 03 02:05 AM