Huskystar, Bernina, Elna machines

Old August 10th 04, 04:46 PM
Maria Drago

Default Huskystar, Bernina, Elna machines

Hi everyone,

I'm a beginner, and after reading up on the group here and elsewhere,
I get the sense that the Husqvarna or Bernina machines would be the
safest bet, but my main intent in learning to sew is, right now, to be
able to hem trousers, t-shirts and curtains. Who knows, once I get
started, maybe I'll want to do more than that and learn more.

I too have looked at machines and Target (Singer and Brother) and have
given up on them, based on what I've read here.

In my city, there is a dealer who sells Husqvarna, Bernina and Elna
machines. For a basic Husqvarna, he tells me it will run $500, but he
also has a Bernina for $600, which he tells me is a great deal, as
they usually cost closer to $1000 (!). Finally, he said if I didn't
want to go that high, he has Elna machines that are pretty good.

One thing I did like was that the Husqvarnas include lessons for free.
I'm already signed up for a 4-week intro to sewing class elsewhere
starting tonight, which will have us able to hem and make a simple
skirt by the end of it, but I figured, for a newbie like me, some
extra hand-holding at the point-of-purchase could be a good thing.

Well, folks, here's my quandry: I want to get a decent machine that I
can do hems on, and maybe more as I grow into sewing, and one that
will last me for years, in other words, I really don't want to buy
something crappy as a "starter" machine for $200 and then have to
throw it out shortly and pony up the extra later for a better one.

I've seen the Husqvarna website and they have info on the Huskystars
207, 215, 219, and 224.

Anyone out there have them, or any other new, basic models and if so,
what do you think of them?

What about recently-made Bernina's or Elna's? Any users out there
with opinions to share?

Thanks in advance!