Introduction, & a couple questions about the group.....

Old October 31st 03, 09:44 PM
Kyla

Default Introduction, & a couple questions about the group.....

Hey, everyone) I'm Kyla, a hobbyist *trying* to go business. I don't
make lampwork beads, but I LOVE looking at them;o) I collect quite a few of
them, but my taste in jewelry is small and simple, so I really don't know
what to DO with the lampwork beads I have. I've been making jewelry for a
few years; I make a lot of jewelry with ss wire and semi-precious gemstones
or crystal. I've recently (today!) become interested in beaded beads, but,
again, I prefer simple things, without a whole lot going on.

I live in Los Angeles, run my own sewing (for babies) business, and stay
home with my two kids (Isaac is 3, Ashley is 1).

I'm starting to do some local shows this year (December 6th is my first!),
to sell jewelry, and handmade soaps. I have a friend that is a prominent
jeweler, with her own shops in Fred Segal in Santa Monica and Melrose, and
she has been SO helpful; is even letting me join her trunk show this
December (though I don't think I will try to complete with her jewelry I'll
just take my soaps!).

So, I think that is about it. I'm very nervous writing this
(uncharacteristic for me); I have been lurking, learning, and ohhing &
ahhing for almost a year, I think? But over at the rec.crafts.jewelry
group, people seem so mean, and arrogant, and it's really made me wary of
usenet groups. You all seem so nice, though, and I *do* have a question
that I can't find an answer to.....

So, can I join your group? ;o) Is it ok if I post semi-newbie questions, as
I learn new techniques, or branch out into other beady areas?

--
Kyla
Christian mama to Isaac (3.5yr), and Ash (1.5yr)

Old October 31st 03, 10:00 PM
Carol in SLC

So, can I join your group? ;o) Is it ok if I post semi-newbie questions, as I
learn new techniques,

Of course, welcome!!! Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like!

Carol in SLC
Old October 31st 03, 10:10 PM
Christina Peterson

You have joined the group, even as you speak. Welcome.

Sounds like you're in a space very similar to the rest of us. A serious
hobbyist, working toward greater professionalism (whether aimed at better
work, or better sales).

I'm Tina, from Fairbanks, Alaska. Next month I'll be visiting Oakland, for
the BABE show, Sooz, and family business.

Tina

y.com...

Old October 31st 03, 10:26 PM
Shirley Shone

Welcome to the group from Shirley in UK.

Ask your questions and you will find that someone knows the answer.
Shirley

In article m, Kyla
writes

Old October 31st 03, 10:45 PM
Sjpolyclay

Hi Kyla!
Welcome, its a fine day to unlurk!
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

Old November 1st 03, 01:25 AM
Marissa Undercofler

Welcome to the nut house We don't bite...not hard atleast People here
are pretty decent and helpful. Good luck with your trunk show in Decemeber.
Sounds promising.

Marissa

y.com...

Old November 1st 03, 01:48 AM
starlia

This bunch is a great group of folks. We get the occasional tiff, but
nothing very serious.

Welcome!

Starlia

y.com...

Old November 1st 03, 02:05 AM
angela

Welcome, Kyla! I'm pretty new to this group too and I've found a ton of
inspiration and encouragement here. Hope you do too. Ask away!

ang.
____________________________
angelfish baubles
http://angelfish-baubles.com

"Kyla" wrote ...

Old November 1st 03, 02:32 AM
BeckiBead

Kyla -- you joined the minute you posted! Know what you mean about the jewelry
group -- I used to post there but was told, many times and in no uncertain
terms, that those who string beads are not in the right league for their
company. There are stringers who stick it out. Not me. How on earth do you
run a "sewing for babies" business out of your home? Is there a website?

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right." -- Counting Crows
Old November 1st 03, 04:51 AM
Louis Cage

Welcome!

(Hey y'all, don't throw the big snakes on her yet)

--
There are no mistakes, only unexplored techniques

AD and dumb questions from a newbie Nathalie Lebreux Beads 7 September 9th 03 09:45 PM
Introduction :) April H. Beads 5 August 25th 03 12:39 AM
bulk bead buying group on yahoo JM Beads 1 July 21st 03 03:46 PM
Couple more questions... Karlee in Kansas Beads 11 July 18th 03 05:46 AM
New finished piece & a couple of stringing questions rainbow Beads 0 July 6th 03 09:28 AM