When you take a finished quilt to your LQS, do you?

Old August 13th 03, 01:17 AM
rjwhite6

Default When you take a finished quilt to your LQS, do you?

Some of us have LQS's where we are well known, and have frequented for
years. When you take a quilt you made to your LQS, especially one
from a class at that LQS, do you?...

Quickly flash the quilt so that they get the effect but not see your
mistakes?

Or do you let them gaze as long as they will, not fearing their
scrutiny?
Old August 13th 03, 01:19 AM
Walt & Cheri Carroll

I let them gaze and fondle as long as they like. My quilts are not perfect
but I'm proud of them non the less.

Cheri
On Vancouver Island, Canada

Old August 13th 03, 01:29 AM
The Nielands

Oh, I definitely let them gaze -- and generally point out my own mistakes
(but I'm trying not to do that so much anymore!).

Louise

Old August 13th 03, 01:43 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:17:27 -0500, rjwhite6
wrote:

Some of us have LQS's where we are well known, and have frequented for
years. When you take a quilt you made to your LQS, especially one
from a class at that LQS, do you?...

Quickly flash the quilt so that they get the effect but not see your
mistakes?

Or do you let them gaze as long as they will, not fearing their
scrutiny?

I would hope that if they found mistakes, they could give me advice
of how they dealt with the same situations. Only when the advice
isn't constructive and useful is it useless - like all of life! Be
proud of your creation and let them enjoy it as much as you do.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old August 13th 03, 01:46 AM
nana2b

I take mine in and let them gaze. I am still so new at this that any praise
keeps me motivated to do a better job next time. When I do point out
problems I usually get a soluttion. Linda in Plano Tx.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old August 13th 03, 03:28 AM
Polly Esther

Seeing the quilts that "real" people make is just one of my favorite things.
Something I turn to first in a new issue of a quilt magazine is what the
readers, not the experts, have created. I do truly love them. Wishing you
could come by and let me add my "ohhhhs" and "ahhhhs". Polly

Old August 13th 03, 03:48 AM
Julia Altshuler

I let them inspect for exactly this reason. How else am I to know if the
mistakes stick out like a sore thumb (the way I see them) or if the mistakes are
hardly noticeable? The folks at the LQS are the only reliable people for
putting it all in perspective. If the mistakes are truly noticeable, they'll be
able to help. If the mistakes aren't that bad, they can tell me that too.

--Lia

Old August 13th 03, 08:37 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
rjwhite6 wrote:

Some of us have LQS's where we are well known, and have frequented for
years. When you take a quilt you made to your LQS, especially one
from a class at that LQS, do you?...

Quickly flash the quilt so that they get the effect but not see your
mistakes?

Or do you let them gaze as long as they will, not fearing their
scrutiny?

It's not that I don't fear their scrutiny, but I've yet to see anyone
successfully "quickly flash" a finished quilt in their LQS. g People
tend to say, "Wait! let me look, too", and that gives the first lookers
more time. But no one every says anything about your mistakes, so it's
still fun.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas

http://home.earthlink.net/~s_foster
Old August 13th 03, 09:43 PM
Ann Adamson

I don't think I've ever taken in something completely finished, but I've
often brought in blocks or a pieced top to look for border fabrics. I
try to hide them and I skulk around in the store because I'm always
embarrassed and because some of them are a little pushy and I don't want
anyone talking me into a fabric I don't like or something like that.
But then again, the folks in my LQS are exactly warm and welcoming.
I usually take my quilting friend and nag her for help & advice instead.

But that's just me (and them)!
Ann

Old August 14th 03, 10:43 PM
Pat in Virginia

I welcome anyone who wants to oogle the quilt; in return, I
enjoy the privilege of oogling someone else's quilt. I ask
quiestions, I answer questions. I ALWAYS find something
complimentary and positive to say about every project anyone
shows me. Most quilters will do that ... I've yet to hear someone
say "UGH ... chopped points and poor value choices!!" Heck, they
can see the 'laugh lines' around my eyes .... why not let them
see a wee blimp on the quilt?
PAT in VA/USA