Quilt as a door?

Old July 14th 03, 09:50 AM
Kate Dicey

Butterfly wrote:

They have a Public Toilet in San Francisco that DOES this. Cleans the
ENTIRE room after each Patron. Showed the entire operation on one of the
CA Shows. the commode flushes when you 'move'--then when the door closes
after the person leaves--the toilet tilts back and the cleaning
begins--showed the scrubbing brushes etc and then the final 'rinse' of
the entire room....including the drain hole in the floor.

Butterfly (yuppers...you better have your quarters to use that facility)

Diana Curtis wrote:
Easy peasy... put the TP in a Tupperware type dispenser that automatically
closes.
Now, if they would just make a toilet that has a built in scrubber...
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
news:1fy1ml2.27gli01wa4mioN%Kathy_A@KayneyNOSPAMqu ilting.com...

Pati Cook wrote:

But that would get all the reading material wet!

Laminate the pages! LOL

The TP would be a little tougher to protect, I'll admit...
--
Kathy Applebaum (Woodland, CA)
Longarm Machine Quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

(remove the obvious to reply)

We have quite a lot of these in the UK. Sorta space capsule thingy,
known as a 'super-loo'. Just don't ever get locked in one! You will
come out wet and disinfected...
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old July 14th 03, 12:52 PM
Roberta Zollner

The bathrooms in Denmark were all that way. Even the ones with a closed
shower had an extra drain in the floor. Great for families with excitable
small children in the bathtub.
Roberta in D

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
news:1fy121o.opw64p1qga5waN%Kathy_A@KayneyNOSPAMqu ilting.com...
John A. wrote:

The shower was just an open area with a drain in the floor, no
door or curtain, or even a lip on the floor. Presumably the floor
sloped a little bit toward the drain.

Don't tell my DH -- this would be his dream room! He has *always* wanted
a room in the house with a drain in the floor. Man, his childhood must
really have been messed up! LOL

Old July 14th 03, 03:02 PM
Diana Curtis

I was thinking that if one didnt need a privy door quilt then perhaps one
could make a quilt for another purpose that used a similar idea... for
example.. I would love a set of open shelves to serve as a pantry to all the
canned and boxed foods. It would be so fun to do a jar and box quilt with
perhaps a spilled jar somewhere, with a guilty looking kitty near it..
looking pointedly away. A mouse on another shelf could be eyeing the cheese
crackers. One could go another route and make the jars and boxes on the
quilt hold things such as eye of newt, and ground liver of bat in the
boxes...or the contents could be very exotic compared to the real ones....
The possibiltys are endless..
A shower curtain with a sillouette of a woman showering... make her look
exactly like yourself.. well.. maybe not exactly.....
A window curtain with a view that is better than the real one outside...
A curtain to the laudry room that has a guy at a dry cleaning counter ???
Diana, taking an idea and running with it

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
Diana Curtis wrote:

That is such a GREAT idea!!!! I love it! Yes, Im shouting but in glee

not
anger so its ok.. right?
Odd tastes?? not hardly.. thats sheer brilliance!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

"Shona in NZ" wrote
I think a quilt as a door is a grand idea. You could make it look

like an
outhouse door with moon crescent and legs with pants round the ankles
showing at the bottom :-)

Shona with 'odd' tastes in NZ

Hm... Wonder if I can persuade DH to take the bathroom door off so I
can replace it with one of these?

Maybe not - we only have the one bathroom in our little 3 bedroom house,
and while it doesn't lock at present, the illusion of privacy provided
by a solid door is psychologically comforting! If we ever have a house
with a door challenge like this, it will be considered. Lovely idea!

Old July 14th 03, 05:25 PM

Quilt as a door?

(melinda)

I'd be a bit worried about mildew/mould. Our temp bathroom in the
laundry has a shower curtain across the doorway and it's been stained by
mould or something.
How difficult would it be to install a sliding door? ---
Hi Melinda
---sliding door, or pocket door?
If one contemplates installing a pocket door across the bathroom
opening, _Very expensive_, as the walls have to be opened up and
re-built to accommodate the door.
I know this because I tried my best to get H to install pocket doors
in the opening to the sunroom we built onto the back of the house.
The French doors he put in are pretty, but take up an enormous amount of
both floor and, when opened, a wide amount of wall space.
Don't get me started on this--two doors give access into the back
yard, and that means each door must have a three foot wide path of
access within the room, effectively and ridiculously cutting down usable
floor space.
Cea gnashing teeth

Old July 14th 03, 07:33 PM
Ruth in Happy Camp

Someone I knew long ago had an "interesting" experience in Vienna. He and
wife had dined in a cafe and he had to use the restroom. When he finished,
he looked around for a way to flush and found a string hanging next to the
door. He pulled it. He exited, somewhat wetter than when he entered, and
noticed all the other customers were waiting and watching as if he were on
stage.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

Old July 14th 03, 07:38 PM
Julia in MN

How about a sliding door hanging on a track, similar the old style barn
doors? It would slide over the wall beside the doorway and slide across
the doorway when needed.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old July 14th 03, 10:16 PM
Shona in NZ

Oooo very good! I'm dieing to redo our kitchen and getting rid of the
crappy cupboard fronts is a cheap option to new cupboards. These quilt
ideas or great!

Shona who can see her DH rolling his eyeballz in NZ

Old July 15th 03, 05:33 AM
Dr. Quilter

I like to have a door not only for the visual part of it, but also for
the smelly part of it... no door equals no containment! )

taria wrote:
There is two side to the privacy thing. I don't want
to look at other people as much (or more) than I don't
want them looking at me! Privacy is important. Doors
on bathrooms are IMO not an option but a necessity.
We looked at some houses that had the walk in closet
past the toilet room (really part of it). very weird and
inconvenient. They sold really fast though so what do I know
except they weren't for me.
Taria

IMacNat wrote:

I totally agree with you! This entire development is like that - no doors -
and what's crazy is... when using the potty - I can see out the doorway into
the larg vanity mirror - and then out to the main bedroom door - so if someone
walks in or by the room - HELLO - Am I a privacy freak or what?

Natalie

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old July 15th 03, 05:35 AM
Dr. Quilter

and if you wanted to do this we'd all be happy to mail you all those AOL
CDs!! )

Elena wrote:
One of the design shows on HGTV had a curtain made of old CDs. They got
plain CD stickers to cover the various top sides so each side had a uniform
look. I can't remember the type of wire they used, but it was very easy to
just loop one around each side of the CD, then hang them from hooks in the
ceiling. They spaced them about 9" apart, and hung them alternating the
spacing. I'm sure it's just as easy from a tension rod put into the
doorway.

Elena in Tx

"IMacNat" wrote in message

I love the bead idea - I hadn't thought of that! Bet I could get them in

just

about any color comob to suit the rest of the room...

Natalie in Mesquite, NV

Old July 15th 03, 05:37 AM
Dr. Quilter

well, in my rented house, the exhaust fan does not pull out half of the
humidity from the bath. so it does get very moist, even with it running
at full speed (actually there is only an on/off switch, of course). we
think something is wrong with it further up, maybe in the attic but we
haven't dared look....

Nbhilyard wrote:
I've just read through all the posts on this....my .02 is that you should
*always* use the exhaust fans when you use the shower/tub. I don't know why a
quilt-as-a-door would get mildewed or unduly damp; you're not using it *in* the
shower. The exhaust fan advice is from the home inspector when I bought this
house. (The master bath here is an add-on, has no windows.)

Do consider that a quilt-as-a-door can be heavy, even a summer (no-batting)
quilt.

But while we're talking about bathroom design -- I fail to understand the
appeal of the huge bathrooms in these big new houses. Any bathroom use for me
is private. Why do I need two sinks if I'm going to be the only person in
there? Anyway, there are other parts of my house where I prefer to hang out.
(Like my sewing room.)

Nann in Winthrop Harbor, Illinois
"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that
one is always making exciting discoveries."
A. A. Milne