loop starts on needlepoint

Old November 28th 03, 02:10 AM
Bungadora

Default loop starts on needlepoint

Well, Santa's little helper has finally started making Xmas gifts for the
kiddies. I'm making a little Oriental carpet for my grand-niece's doll house
(not the Dec. Piecework one - gorgeous, but if I'm going to spend $150-$200C on
materials, I'll keep it for myself, thanks). Any reason why a loop start
wouldn't work on needlepoint canvas? I'm trying to keep the back as clean as
possible.

Dora
Whose cats are being very disruptive. Don't they know it's only 4 weeks until
Xmas?!!! Arrgh!!!
Old November 28th 03, 12:01 PM

It will work fine as long as you are using 2,4, or 6 strands of
a fiber -- if you are using 1, 3 or 5 you won't be able to do
a loop start. What kind of canvas and fiber are you using?

On Thu, 28 Nov 2003, Bungadora wrote:

Well, Santa's little helper has finally started making Xmas gifts for the
kiddies. I'm making a little Oriental carpet for my grand-niece's doll house
(not the Dec. Piecework one - gorgeous, but if I'm going to spend $150-$200C on
materials, I'll keep it for myself, thanks). Any reason why a loop start
wouldn't work on needlepoint canvas? I'm trying to keep the back as clean as
possible.

Dora
Whose cats are being very disruptive. Don't they know it's only 4 weeks until
Xmas?!!! Arrgh!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Katherine Becker "As god is my witness
I thought turkeys could fly"
NEVER SEND A FERRET TO DO A WEASEL's JOB --WKRP

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old November 28th 03, 12:38 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I sell Appleton. There is crewel and tapestry weight. Neither of which
are divisible. Crewel is two-ply. For canvas, you'd use one or more
strands depending upon the coverage and count of the canvas. If you're
using one or two strands, you could loop start.

Tapestry is a six-ply (I believe, I'm not going to go look). But you
don't divide them. You'd use one strand. It's thick and would be used
on larger count canvases. Yes, you could loop start.

All this, of course, if my wholesaler isn't hiding some "type" of
Appleton of which I'm not familiar. Also, IF by loop start you mean
start at a center location and use both ends of the thread/yarn. Kogin
embroidery is done in this manner.

Dianne

animaux wrote:
It can work if you are using 6 ply yarn. If you are using one ply yarn, it will
not work, as for needlepoint you would only usually be using one strand. Did I
explain that? For example, Appleton has their yarn in both 6 ply strands, and
one ply strands (but the one ply is equal in bulk to the 6 ply). One is for
embroidery, other for canvas work. I've used both. The former to mix colors
for certain designs.

On 28 Nov 2003 02:10:22 GMT, ospam (Bungadora) opined:

Old November 28th 03, 02:11 PM

Sorry, my earlier reply wasn't clear. What I meant was, if you want two
strands of thickness, you can do a loop start. You'll use one strand,
doubled. Similaraly, if you want four strands, you'll use two strands,
doubled. But if you want one strand of thickness, I don't think you
can use a loop start.

Old November 28th 03, 04:28 PM
Bungadora

Dianne Lewandowski
(snip)
Also, IF by loop start you mean
start at a center location and use both ends of the thread/yarn. Kogin
embroidery is done in this manner.

Yes, I mean folding the thread and securing the thread with the loop. I'm using
2 plys, so no problem there. I just have to fold one thread in half. (In case
my second post isn't showing to those not on aol) I should have said "reasons
why a loop start shouldn't be used" , not "couldn't be used".

If the rug wears poorly, it will at least give the dolls an air of faded
gentility.
I've already half finished the centre medallion on the rug, so it is going
well. I plan to fold the edges and stitch over the double thickness to hide the
canvas. Do you think three rows of double thickness will be enough? Then I'll
do a corded edge stitch to cover canvas on the sides, and fringe the ends.

Meanwhile Santa's workshop is a mess, and I'm obliged to work at other jobs
today. Thanks to those who have replied.
Dora

Old November 28th 03, 06:06 PM
FKBABB

I should have said "reasons
why a loop start shouldn't be used" , not "couldn't be used". BRBR

O.K., here's a reason the loop start *might* not be the best method of starting
your thread when you're doing needlepoint -- by which I take it you mean
half-cross or one of it's lookalikes. When you (or at least when I) use a loop
start, the loop can sometimes pull through and show up on the top of the work.
Also, the first stitch with a loop start always comes out just a bit different
looking than subsequent stitches. This doesn't matter to me in cross stitch as
the top stitch hides any irregularities in the starting stitch, but it can be
obvious to the finicky eye in halfcross/tent work.

Do you think three rows of double thickness will be enough? BRBR

This should be more than enough. In fact, if you are pressed for time when you
get to the finishing, you could do just two rows and still have a very secure
finish.

What a wonderful gift for your grand-niece!

Annie
Old November 29th 03, 02:36 PM
Ellice

On 11/28/03 1:06 PM,"FKBABB" posted:

I should have said "reasons
why a loop start shouldn't be used" , not "couldn't be used". BRBR

O.K., here's a reason the loop start *might* not be the best method of
starting
your thread when you're doing needlepoint -- by which I take it you mean
half-cross or one of it's lookalikes. When you (or at least when I) use a
loop
start, the loop can sometimes pull through and show up on the top of the work.
Also, the first stitch with a loop start always comes out just a bit different
looking than subsequent stitches. This doesn't matter to me in cross stitch
as
the top stitch hides any irregularities in the starting stitch, but it can be
obvious to the finicky eye in halfcross/tent work.

Jumping in here. Loop starting with tapestry wool - the wool has a definite
directional grain. If you use it doubled, the alternating direction will be
visible.

Alternative, especially if you're doing some form of tent (continental or
basketweave) if use a waste knot (about 2 needle lengths), and come up, and
then go over the horizontal thread just above where you came up. Then you
can actually pull this thread tight - it will slip under the upper vertical
running thread, and be hidden. Go back and stitch your normal diagonal
stitch, starting in the same place. It'll cover your hidden locking stitch,
and the yarn is secure.

You can check out the NP resources section of the ANG website for a lot of
information about stitching NP (there are articles written by designers,
etc.. The main web-page is:
http://www.needlepoint.org/

Have fun stitching!

ellice

FA: Needlepoint Designs from the Mosaics of Ravenna, HB Number1Fred Marketplace 0 August 16th 04 03:00 AM
'nother loop on the bight Carl West Knots 3 June 26th 04 05:34 PM
Renee's Loop Announcement O J Knots 0 May 23rd 04 04:18 AM
Double Dragon Loop? roo Knots 5 April 9th 04 09:47 PM
To loop or not to loop?? Jenn Ridley Needlework 1 August 16th 03 01:55 AM