Ping John re chairs

Old September 7th 09, 05:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

Default Skinny anybody

On Sep 6, 10:41*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
I don't award myself any points for being skinny. *I just am. *But -
Mississippi is #1 in fat people and the state's health bureaucrat says it's
because we are poor and don't have access to healthy food.
* * @#$! * *Polly

I don't award myself points, either. I hate it. And I hate it when
people make
skinny-remarks. It's really hurtful. You wouldn't dream of making the
same
remarks to large people about their size.
Oklahoma is pretty high on the list for obesity, and especially
obesity in
children. You're right about that -- cheap food is mostly starchy
stuff.
Plus, our culture is to drown everything in gravy and/or season it
with bacon grease. Then throw in a fried side dish and a salad loaded
with Ranch dressing. (ever looked at the nutrition label on that
stuff??)

I have good kids. But if I was granted one "do-over", I'd have gotten
my son off the couch,
and away from the video games, and send him outdoors. And I'd have
tried
harder to develop good eating habits in him. I worry about him a lot.
He has sleep apnea,
high BP. He is only 27.

The "obesity epidemic" they refer to isn't a simple problem with a
simple solution. It has
many levels and it's complex.

I don't know about the word "epidemic". The powers that be like to
throw that word around.
But I do know that the large hospital my daughter works at had to
order many more extra-large
wheelchairs and extra-wide gurneys because patients are so much larger
than they used to be.

Sherry

Sherry
Old September 7th 09, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Default Skinny quilter chairs

This is way off topic but please explain the problems with giving and
drawing blood for those with tattoos. My son Tivos and replays on fast
forward many of the cooking shows. I am alarmed at the number of young
people featured on these programs starting to cover their entire
bodies in tattoos. The same can be seen in the sports world. Has
anyone warned them to keep a spot clear for future blood work?

One other comment on the cooking show personalities. Recently a chef
in one of the contests had metal studs in her tong and lips. How could
someone who must rely on taste for a living add metal to their mouth?
I can't imagine this person being hired at a decent restaurant.

Susan, stepping down from my soapbox.

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 14:08:55 -0700, "DEM" wrote:

Having worked in a nursing home, I don't have enough
room here to say all the things that being obessed has
done to them. So many health ailments all due to their
eating to much. Then add in those who had to h ave
knee replacement because of their weight. I could go
on and on. And look at our kids these days.

Another thing I discovered at work, is that all the women
who wore pointed shoes (high or not) now had
permanent toes that would not uncross. All their slippers
and other footware had to be cut to fit their feet.

One thing that will changed down the road at nursing
home/clients of caregivers/whatever....will be all those
who are young now and have so many tatoos. For some,
it will be hard to even find a place to give or draw blood.

My working days will be over by then.

Donna
in WA
who power talks just about everyday

"onetexsun" wrote in message
John, yesterday Russ and I saw outside a local grocery store sharing
lunch and people watching. He made the comment that there are
significantly more "big" people than when we moved her 10 years ago. I
agree. Now, I've put on a bit of poundage in the last 10 years. In my
defense, I'm taking four medications every day that each have
"significant weight gain" as a side effect (more butt effect for me).
But Russ was talking about really large people -- those who appear to
be on the verge of serious illness because of their weight. I'm
assuming some of them are also taking medications that cause weight
gain. And we all know the insidious nature of weight gain -- gain
weight, makes it harder to get out and move, sit around, eat more from
depression over how you look, gain more weight. But I think what we
were seeing is what's happening all over the country. And it cuts
across ethnic, gender, class lines. More people are seriously, scarily
over weight than just 10 years ago. Why is that? Are the food
companies sneaking high fructose corn syrup into our broccoli?

Sunny
with my own expanded waistline and poor eating choices.

Old September 7th 09, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Yeah, I am interested in the reason, also.
None of my tattoos cover where they draw blood.

For anyone who does have a pierced lip or tongue on this group, or
knows someone with the same, is the sense of taste affected? It seems
like the stud would certainly irritate the delicate mucous membranes
of the mouth.

Ginger in CA
thinking it's time for another simply tattoo, last one was over 9
years ago!

Old September 7th 09, 07:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Default tattoos was Skinny quilter chairs

The possiblilty of contrating hepatitis is greatly increased with tattoos.
That's why they don't allow blood donation from colorful clients. I have an
acquaintance who recently lost his brother from the disease and it was
suspicioned he had contracted it from being tattooed. I know everyone
claims the utmost sterility, but the incidence is still a risk factor and
the blood banks can't take the chance. As far as keeping an area un-tatted
for blood work....I have no idea if that's an issue.
Piercings? Dentists get more business from the mouth ones.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old September 7th 09, 08:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dragonfly[_2_]

I've been noticing that with the kids, in the neighborhood and at school
functions.

Back when I was in school, *mumbledy-mumble* years ago, the "fat kids" were
notable because there were so few of them -- on the realm of maybe 3-5% of
the school population? Definitely under 10%! And most adults were not
particularly heavy, either, I'd guess around 10% there.

Now I wouldn't be surprised if a quarter or more of the high school kids are
overweight. Even the "trim" ones are larger around than when I was in
school. Even my daughter's waist is 3-4" bigger around than mine was at her
age. Adults who are overweight are close to half the population.

What's doing it? Fast food? Larger servings? Food additives? Less doing
stuff outside and more sitting inside in A/C comfort working on sedentary
tasks? Probably a combination of the above.

I'm not sure but I'm really getting nostalgic for the 60's and early 70's.

Dragonfly (Pam)

Old September 8th 09, 03:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

onetexsun wrote:
More people are seriously, scarily
over weight than just 10 years ago. Why is that? Are the food
companies sneaking high fructose corn syrup into our broccoli?

I don't know about broccoli, but last week I wanted some plain yogurt
for a tzatziki recipe. I bought something labeled "plain yogurt",
started to dump it into a bowl, and took a lick. It tasted awfully sweet
for yogurt, so I took a look at the label. It contained sugar and high
fructose corn syrup -- definitely not what I would call plain yogurt. My
husband ate it and I went back to the store for really plain yogurt --
but read the label carefully before buying.

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default

Old September 8th 09, 07:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

I don't, but my girlfriend pierced her tongue.
According to kiripet, no problem with either taste or sensation.
Many online friends have lip or tongue piercings also, and none of
them have reported any taste or sensation problems as a result.

Most reports of sensation loss are found within the realms of more
personal piercings, and most often seem to be directly related to
keloid formation, a sort of out of control scar tissue build up. Mind
you that is with properly done professsional piercings. One can only
guess at the problems experienced by people that allow amateurs to
have a go at them with sewing needles.

So far as blood drawing and such, none of my tats are anywhere that
that should be a problem either. But when it comes to tats or
piercings, there is a great deal of what I believe to be willful
stupidity on the part of many medical professionals. A good many of
them seem to take great joy in cutting off jewelry, instead of simply
removing it properly, given the slightest provocation. I know that
every darn time I have been at the hospital for anything they always
reach for the bolt cutters. Fortunately I have always been concious
and able to forstall that action by simply removing the jewelry
myself. At least one PA actually acted disappointed, and what he was
going for was a flipping nostril screw! No neither my nose nor face
was damaged. It was pre-op for removing an ovarian cyst, and I had
simply removed my earrings (nine of them) first. You can bet I got
that screw out in a hurry when he started bringing those cutters
towards my face! Kiri had already removed my last capture bead ring
for me while I was getting the earrings, so the fellow was completely
without jewelry to mangle.
The only medical that is actually polite about jewelry is the dentist.

They are just as weird about tats. I am not allowed to donate blood
locally. It has beeen well over a year since my last tat, and I have
had a negative HIV screening since then. Still they won't allow me to
give blood and blame it on the tats. Truthfully I think that having a
girlfriend has as much to do with it. Having tats, piercings, or a
girlfriend should not make me ineligable to donate. All those things
are well within the acceptable parameters of donating. Still they
don't allow it, and what is more some of the hospital lab techs suit
up to within a hair shy of hazmat gear before doing so much as a
throat swab. Pick your bias, it probably applies to one of them or
another, the rest are probably just generally paranoid.

NightMist

On Sep 7, 7:09=A0am, Susan Laity Price wrote:
This is way off topic but please explain the problems with giving and
drawing blood for those with tattoos. My son Tivos and replays on fast
forward many of the cooking shows. I am alarmed at the number of young
people featured on these programs starting to cover their entire
bodies in tattoos. The same can be seen in the sports world. Has
anyone warned them to keep a spot clear for future blood work?

One other comment =A0on the cooking show personalities. Recently a chef
in one of the contests had metal studs in her tong and lips. How could
someone who must rely on taste for a living add metal to their mouth?
I can't imagine this person being hired at a decent restaurant.

Susan, stepping down from my soapbox.

--

Legolas is my house elf
Old September 8th 09, 08:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Local hospital rules may vary. Red Cross restrictions state that if
the tats are more than a year old or done professionally in a state
that requires inspections that they are not a bar to donateing. Same
for piercings.

Of course what somebody at your local center believes may over ride
the national rules, as per my other post.

NightMist

Old September 8th 09, 01:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

I am not allowed to give blood anymore due to my lupus. This was after
being diagnosed in 1987, and donating blood every three months from
'80 to '94. I had even been found as a match as a bone marrow donor,
so you can imagine the disappointment when the guidleines were
updated.

Here in CA, there is a 6-9 month lag time between new tattoos and
blood donating.

Ginger in CA

Old September 8th 09, 09:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roy/Jane Kay

Default tattoos -

It is only a little harder finding a vein when the skin is covered by
tattoos. The real issue is contaminated needles or ink. Most places use a
new needle for each client, but I understand that the ink is expensive, and
sometimes a multicolor design only uses a bit from the vial of several
colors. Some tattoo parlors let themselves be tempted to use the rest of the
vial on another client. Sometimes the ink sellers are not as careful of
sterility as they should be either & so a sealed ink is already
contaminated. Hepatitis & MRSA are the biggest risks but tetanus can also be
a problem. I think that if all your tats are several years old the Red Cross
lets you donate again

Piercings are another issue. The mouth is full of germs and so the incidence
of infected tongue piercings is fairly high. In fact, the surprise is that
it is not higher. After the mouth, the second most infected piercing is the
navel- hard to really clean the skin, often covered by & rubbed by clothing,
often touched when using the bathroom. The American Journal Of Nursing has
had several articles concerning the dangers of piercings & tattoos that have
metallic inks during MRI & laser surgery, also reactions due to allergies to
nickel.

ping John Bronnie[_2_] Quilting 1 July 16th 09 12:20 PM
ping John Bronnie[_2_] Quilting 0 July 16th 09 06:08 AM
OT ping JOHN Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 13 February 10th 08 01:00 PM
Ping John Kate T. Quilting 1 October 5th 07 07:40 PM
Ping: John Donna Aten Quilting 6 April 1st 07 09:23 PM