new little knitting book .... sort off LOL

Old May 4th 05, 06:45 PM
Els van Dam

Default new little knitting book .... sort off LOL

I recieved the most wonderful little book in the mail yesterday. My
daughter's neighbour showede it to her, and Peggy knew right away she had
to buy it for your yarn junkie mother in BC.

The book is called "At knit's End; meditations for women who knit too
much" This book is written by Stephnie Pearl-Mcphee (the yarn Harlot) I
have copied this verbatum from the book cover....LOL

Roger I can't remember if this is the book you talked about recently. If
so I just have to re-enforce your love for this book. First of all it is
a small book so you can tuck it away with your knitting, to take to
knitting meetings. Each page has something to share with the knitting
reader. Naturally you are knitting while you read this funny book.

OK, let me quote from page 98:

"We cannot command Nature exept by obeying her- Francis Bacon."

"So the rumors were true; there it was sitting innoncently on the shelf.
Yarn made from corn.
Called "Ingeo", the yarn is made from the strarches and sugars of corn and
converted to a natural resin
that is spun into yarn. The resulting fiber is biodegradable and can be
composted to return the nutrients to the soil. It is soft, lovely, and a
completely renwable resource.

Although I embrace fiber technologies that protect the Earth, I will
remember that wearing an Ingeo tank top to a goat farm might have
disastrous results." (end of quotation)

Each page has similar little observations we all are familiar with,
because we have been there and done that or experienced that as well. I
would say most of it is shared smiles. It is not a expensive book, it has
the right price to give to a knitting friend.

Or go to the library and ask for it.

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old May 4th 05, 07:01 PM

Hi Els,

I'm printing this out so I can take it with me to look for the book,
sounds really interesting.

Hugs,

Nora

Old May 4th 05, 08:26 PM
Katherine

Els van Dam wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a great book, Els.

Katherine

Old May 4th 05, 09:26 PM
Tante Jan

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
[...]

Our library has it on order and I'm on the waiting list for it. I seldom
read blogs but have the impression she is quite popular among knitters who
do.

--
Jan in MN

Old May 4th 05, 09:30 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

Lucky me, I have a signed copy directly from Steph (The Yarn
Harlot)... I've been reading her blog for aeons.

Old May 4th 05, 10:51 PM
Shillelagh

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
I recieved the most wonderful little book in the mail yesterday. My
daughter's neighbour showede it to her, and Peggy knew right away she had
to buy it for your yarn junkie mother in BC.

The book is called "At knit's End; meditations for women who knit too
much" This book is written by Stephnie Pearl-Mcphee (the yarn Harlot) I
have copied this verbatum from the book cover....LOL

Els, my knitting pal in Nebraska gifted me with this book just this week,
and I have been reading it in bits and pieces. I love it already and am
only 1/3 of the way through it.

There is another page I must quote, especially since I'm going to my
knitting group tonight:

"Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties,
nations, and epochs, it is the rule - Friedrich Nietzsche
A knitter's guild is a staggering, incredible thing. It is a room filled
with men and women who have in common one obsession. They are possessed
enough by the manipulation of two pointy needles and some yarn to give up
whole free evenings, not just to knit, but to talk about it. The first time
you find yourself having a conversation about moss stitch with a group of
people who aren't desperately trying to escape you.... it's like coming
home.
I will join my local club or guild so that I can talk about knitting and
still get invited to my friends' parties."

Shelagh

Old May 4th 05, 10:51 PM
Christine in Kent, Garden of England

It's a "dip in and out of" book, and produces giggles, chortles and the
occasional out loud laugh that makes my family ask what I'm reading,
resulting in the knowing "Mum's gone completely mad now" look that you will
all recognise. I just love it, but refrain from reading it in public as the
results could be embarrassing!! Els your daughter obviously know her mother
VERY well!
Love Christine

Old May 4th 05, 10:57 PM
Katherine

Oh, yes, I remember your telling us about her blog. I have visited it a few
times. Lots of fun!

Hugs,
Katherine

Old May 4th 05, 11:04 PM
JaneB

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
[...]

Who is the publisher, Els? (Sounds like a great gift for a knitter.)

JaneB

Old May 5th 05, 12:29 AM

I am a regular reader of Yarn Harlot's blog --
http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/ -- gotta have my fix! I've hinted for
the book for a Mother's Day gift. (My first hint was for a blue
hand-blown glass crochet hook on eBay, but the price went too high.
Since books have a fixed price.... [crossing fingers])

Still stitchin' and smilin'
Carol in SC