Off topic fun!

Old July 10th 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Off topic fun!

On 7/10/06 9:31 AM, in article ,
"Dr. Brat" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

The "street rats" (small and white and nasty little dogs) that live on the
corner have charged both us, in to my yard, snapping and growling. Owner
acted like it was DD's fault. Left a bad taste in her mouth I should think;
has mine.

You are far nicer than I. I'd have called animal control so quickly
that the owner's head would have been spinning.

Elizabeth (no patience for irresponsible owners)

I didn't call, but I know several people did because the owners had already
been warned about not cleaning up after their animals.

And I saw the AC van there last week.

Cheryl

Old July 10th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 7/10/06 9:51 AM, in article
, "Lucille"
wrote:

"Dr. Brat" wrote in message
. ..
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 7/9/06 8:36 PM, in article
,
"Dr. Brat" wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Elizabeth told me previously that there are dogs that run because they
want
to and dogs that run to please their master. I think there is a third,
ones
that you see run to do both - for the sheer fun and for the praise. That
was
Cash today.

Of course, you got to see Cash at his very best: that was a glorious
run, even if it did earn him only fourth place. He had a less stellar
run today for third, but that's because some of the dogs that beat him
yesterday NQ'd today. Dog's a blast to work with. Harry did well also,
although he's still off his weave poles.

I take it that the course was different? I can understand why weave poles
might be avoided! I still find it interesting that there seemed to be
only
one signal that was universal among the human part of the team - down! I
felt so bad for all the dogs that slid right off the table.

On the second day, the judges switch so that the one who designed the
standard course does the jumpers course and vice versa, so yes, different
course. Jumpers course was set up so that you were pretty much forced to
cross behind your dog in three different places (although my friend with
the light colored Terv managed to cross in front all those places and win
the course) and Cash took a bar down when I crossed behind him too
abruptly (he turned to see where I went and let a rear paw dangle). Weird
thing about Harry these days is that once he gets the weaves started, he
blasts right through them. We will be working on helping him find the
correct entry.

Friend of mine who runs a dog at 20 inches pointed out that they use the
same table for 16" and for 20". So the dogs jumping 16" or 24" (higher
table) lose some momentum by jumping up to the table, but the 20" dogs
jump horizontal with no loss of momentum and thus are more likely to
skitter across and right off. Not really fair, that.

She was pretty good - the ask first rule was obeyed to the letter unless
the
dog came to her first! Now she wants one of every kind of dog with a few
exceptions - no "floor mops" - could be one of any of those tiny dogs
with
flowing hair. I think her first choice might be a litter mate of that
Doberman puppy, second might be a Bouvier des Flandres, one those
snuggled
right up to her. Though she has asked if she could dog sit for Cash and
Harry some day. "They like me even if I am a kid".

Harry likes her fine. Cash is just a little weird with everybody except
me and DWH. Too bad, that.

He's still young though!

Forget hocky - she needs a dog to run agility with. *grin*

And I need another hungry mouth to feed? Hockey fees might be cheaper in the
long run! LOL

PS
I was glad to see your DH accept his hug so graciously; little girls
might
not be his forte.

He's good with kids, usually. Just doesn't want any of his own.

She can charm most males except her big brother.

Elizabeth
--
That description is perfect for my little squirt too. He will be good and
play nicely for a while, but when he deems it enough, it's enough. He has

I'll bet DD would have him eating out her hand in no time!
Cheryl

Old July 10th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Lucille wrote:

"Dr. Brat" wrote in message
. ..

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I was glad to see your DH accept his hug so graciously; little girls
might
not be his forte.

He's good with kids, usually. Just doesn't want any of his own.

Elizabeth
--
That description is perfect for my little squirt too. He will be good and
play nicely for a while, but when he deems it enough, it's enough. He has
never growled at anyone or been particularly aggressive, but he will come
and hide behind me, or if possible, he will just go under the bed.

yeahbut, Lucille, Cheryl and I were talking about my DH! LOL!

Elizabeth (picturing my 6'5" DH under the bed)
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old July 10th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 7/10/06 9:51 AM, in article
, "Lucille"
wrote:

"Dr. Brat" wrote in message
. ..
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 7/9/06 8:36 PM, in article
,
"Dr. Brat" wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

So come on down and check him out. He really is cute and loves to romp and
run.

Lucille

Old July 10th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille

"Dr. Brat" wrote in message
Lucille wrote:

"Dr. Brat" wrote in message
. ..

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I was glad to see your DH accept his hug so graciously; little girls
might
not be his forte.

He's good with kids, usually. Just doesn't want any of his own.

Elizabeth
--
That description is perfect for my little squirt too. He will be good
and play nicely for a while, but when he deems it enough, it's enough.
He has never growled at anyone or been particularly aggressive, but he
will come and hide behind me, or if possible, he will just go under the
bed.

yeahbut, Lucille, Cheryl and I were talking about my DH! LOL!

Elizabeth (picturing my 6'5" DH under the bed)
The most important thing one woman can do for another is to illuminate and
expand her sense of actual possibilities. --Adrienne Rich
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I missed that, but my dog is my DH so I guess it's ok. That's what I get
for being in a hurry. lol

Old July 10th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 7/10/06 7:34 AM, in article
,
"Dr. Brat" wrote:

Pat P wrote:
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

On 7/9/06 6:23 PM, in article
,
"Jere Williams" wrote:

I suppose, by that definition, dachsies are cats.

Depends on the dachie - I've seen one do obstacles - tiny jumps! Too
funny
in some ways!

Cheryl

You`re supposed to discourage Dachsies from jumping - they get bad
backs!

I would suppose the same could be said for Corgies or Petit Basset
Griffon Vendeens, but I've seen both competing in agility. There are
tricks you can teach a long backed dog (or any dog) to help strengthen
their muscles and help protect them from injury.

Elizabeth

Pat - just as an FYI - these jumps were 4 inches high.

Cheryl

Oh good, you had me worried! We had thought of getting a dachsie recently,
but the info from breeders and vets about discouraging them from jumping put
us off. Our "Waggymuffin" always jumps up on the sofa (and on our bed in
the mornings) and it just wouldn`t be fair to either of them either to stop
the dachsie if Maggie was still allowed to jump up, or to stop Maggie, who
has done so for four years. (Doesn`t seem possible we`ve had her for nearly
four years- I remember announcing her arrival on here and it seems like only
yesterday).

I know that our first Cavalier strained her back by jumping up too high.

I do feel sorry for Dachsies when it snows, don`t you?

Pat P

Old July 10th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 7/10/06 12:09 PM, in article
, "Lucille"
wrote:
snip

I'll bet DD would have him eating out her hand in no time!
Cheryl

So come on down and check him out. He really is cute and loves to romp and
run.

Lucille

Some day!

OFF TOPIC: QUEEN Of Off Topic Campaign Butterfly Quilting 9 May 19th 06 01:21 PM
Posting ON Topic threads Tia Mary Quilting 0 October 22nd 05 08:44 PM
Not entirely off topic Louise Quilting 5 May 30th 04 02:07 PM
Gentle reminder - mark Off Topic messages OT Barbara Hass Needlework 7 May 15th 04 04:38 PM
Good Idea? (on topic ramblings) Karlee in Kansas Quilting 4 December 11th 03 08:44 AM