OT - my poor dog

Old February 13th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default OT - my poor dog

Hip Dysplasia in most breeds is polygenic. Meaning you don't necessarily
have to "double up" on it to have it appear. Two hip-tested parents can
still produce dysplastic pups. Screening is just a little extra insurance
and reassurance that you have at least tested for everything it is possible
to test for.

HD is also affected by environment. Dogs which climb stairs as youngsters,
walk on slippery floors, jump up or down from couches and beds or which are
kept on concrete are particularly prone. Vitamin C deficiency can be a
contributing factor as well. Dogs which are overweight during key
development periods are also prone.

Although HD is common in particular breeds, most of them large it is
possible for ANY breed of dog to get it.

It is difficult to test puppies for the problem without full hip xrays being
done and as most vets are reluctant to anaesthetise young puppies for no
good reason (which is generally required to be able to "crank" the dog into
the position required for diagnostic xrays) most often, the problem is not
picked up until they are older or are required to have xrays for another
purpose.

HD screening (through the OFA - Orthopaedic Foundation of America) is not
able to be conclusively performed until a dog is 3 years of age, although
PennHip can be performed at around 2 years of age. The difference between
the two is that OFA screen deals with the skeletal form of the hips whilst
PennHip deals with the laxity.

Hope this helps.

Aussie

Old February 13th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Aussie X Stitcher wrote:

HD screening (through the OFA - Orthopaedic Foundation of America) is not
able to be conclusively performed until a dog is 3 years of age, although
PennHip can be performed at around 2 years of age. The difference between
the two is that OFA screen deals with the skeletal form of the hips whilst
PennHip deals with the laxity.

OFA is usually performed at 24 months or older, while PennHip can be
done younger.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old February 14th 06, 07:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

OK, so I was giving information for my OWN breed of dog....thank you for
splitting hairs. Is that all you could find to pick on?

"Dr. Brat" wrote in message
Aussie X Stitcher wrote:

HD screening (through the OFA - Orthopaedic Foundation of America) is not
able to be conclusively performed until a dog is 3 years of age, although
PennHip can be performed at around 2 years of age. The difference
between the two is that OFA screen deals with the skeletal form of the
hips whilst PennHip deals with the laxity.

OFA is usually performed at 24 months or older, while PennHip can be done
younger.

Elizabeth
The most important thing one woman can do for another is to illuminate and
expand her sense of actual possibilities. --Adrienne Rich
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old February 14th 06, 11:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Aussie X Stitcher wrote:
OK, so I was giving information for my OWN breed of dog....thank you for
splitting hairs. Is that all you could find to pick on?

Wow, what a friendly response.

You didn't say it was for a particular breed of dog, you made it seem
like it's for all dogs and my boy is having his hips done next month, at
24 months. I think I'd go crazy if I had to wait another year to be
sure he's sound before really letting him loose in agility (as would he
- he loves it)...I'm sorry if my clarification seemed like a criticism
of what was otherwise a very informative post. It wasn't meant that way.

But since you're insistent about it, allow me to point out that the
Aussie breed club also recommends 24 months, not 36:
http://www.australianshepherds.org/health.html. We're lucky in that
neither of our breeds have anything like the incidence of hip displasia
found in GSDs or Golden Retrievers, but in any case, it makes sense to
find out as early as possible so that activities can be restricted if
necessary.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old February 14th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Aussie X Stitcher wrote:
Er...assumption is a dangerous thing. Where did I say I had Australian
Shepherds?

You didn't. My bad. I didn't look closely at your address before. But
perhaps that is the issue. Is HD screening recommended at a different
age in Australia than in the US?

What breed do you have, if you don't mind my asking? I have Belgian
Tervuren.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old February 14th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Dr. Brat" ,in
rec.crafts.textiles.needleworkwrote:
and entertained us with
Aussie X Stitcher wrote:
Er...assumption is a dangerous thing. Where did I say I had Australian
Shepherds?

You didn't. My bad. I didn't look closely at your address before. But
perhaps that is the issue. Is HD screening recommended at a different
age in Australia than in the US?

What breed do you have, if you don't mind my asking? I have Belgian
Tervuren.

Elizabeth

You lie Brat, sounds like they have you!