Stitcher's Murphy's Law?

Old November 21st 05, 11:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Stitcher's Murphy's Law?

Pat P wrote:
"Heather in NY" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ummm. Jim, I might be wrong, but I'm positive I've seen guides on a
couple of the older MLI's on how many skeins/spools I will likely need
for specific colours. I don't have easy access to my pattern
collection right now (still in boxes from our move), but I'd be willing
to bet on it. It might be just for the metallics, but I'm sure I've
seen it. And I know other designers (for example Mirabilia comes to
mind) sometimes list it if more than one will be needed. I *could well
be* wrong, but I know I've seen it. As for Noah's Sub, it was just
common "stitcher's sense" that made me get multiples of the colours for
the top of the sub as there appeared to be a large area of it. I
didn't expect any of the blues for the water to need more than one, and
I slightly underestimated for one colour. Of the second skein I
purchased, I don't think I used more than one or two lengths from it to
finish, and I was careful in where I ended up from the original so even
if there was a slight difference, it wouldn't be noticible.
Heather

I always give the numbers of skeins required - and if only a few stitches
are needed in any shade, I say so, and suggest that flowers (for instance)
can be stitched using oddments you already have. More than that is, I am
convinced, totally un-necessary. You can, perhaps, judge the unreliability
of detailed calculations from the number of times that people complain that
they have run out of a specific colour when using a kit! There are just too
many variables.

Pat P

I always provide the info if one of my models required multiple skeins
as well. MLI does this now too, has for a while now (I know that Fairy
Grandmother gave this info, and that came out in the late 90's).

Jim doesn't actually buy many charts, creating his own nekkid ladies
from paintings as he does. I expect he's operating on information that
is either totally out of date or is just plain uninformed.

Caryn