Alphabetizing Designer names

Old May 26th 05, 05:28 PM
Bertha

On Thu, 26 May 2005 09:07:08 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
muttered something like:

Ok - don't ask, but for some reason I've decided to alphabetize my charts.
(must be the rain!)

Could be worse. I filed mine by subject with sub-categories by designer.
I think I need professional help. But what good is a big hoard of charts
if you can't gloat over them?

So, does one file Liz Turner Diehl under T or under D?

Lizzie Kate? K? L?

Or the one that really has me fuzzled - what order does Artful Impressions,
Art-Stitch and ArtVenture go in?

I think the most important thing is that you use whatever system makes
sense to you, so you can find it again (in theory). If the first thing
that comes to mind is T, file it under T. Then when you think "I'd like
to look at that chart by Liz Turner Diehl," the first place you naturally
think to look is probably the same as the first place you naturally
thought to put it. That's the advantage of a filing system that's just
for you and nobody else.

-Bertha
--
"May it never be said that your anal-retentive attention to detail
never yielded positive results." -- Loki, "Dogma"
Old May 26th 05, 08:24 PM
Sallys Mom

At the risk of sounding too anal, I put things into a database and can
"slice and dice" by any column name - designer, subject, kit, chart, etc.

Old May 26th 05, 08:36 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 5/26/05 3:24 PM, in article 9ople.4657$3u3.2078@trnddc07, "Sallys Mom"
wrote:

At the risk of sounding too anal, I put things into a database and can
"slice and dice" by any column name - designer, subject, kit, chart, etc.

A woman after my heart!

Cheryl

Old May 26th 05, 08:59 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

As an ex librararian i would file it under T and add a index card in
the D reffering you to the T .
mirjam
On Thu, 26 May 2005 09:22:07 -0400, Jenn Ridley
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Ok - don't ask, but for some reason I've decided to alphabetize my charts.
(must be the rain!)

So, does one file Liz Turner Diehl under T or under D?

Where would you expect to find it? That one is a judgement call. I
would file it under D, but others may disagree.

Lizzie Kate? K? L?

Lizzie*Kate goes under L. They use an asterisk/star between the two
names, so it's one word not two.

Or the one that really has me fuzzled - what order does Artful Impressions,
Art-Stitch and ArtVenture go in?

Art-Stitch
Artful Impressions
ArtVenture
(punctuation/end of word comes before letters; letters are in
alphabetical order regardless of capitalisation (unless you're dealing
with O', de*, Mac/Mc or the like))

jenn (library aide for umpteen years)
--
Jenn Ridley :
WIP: Water Lilies, Rose Trio, Be Mine, Emperor's Coat II, Carousel

Old May 26th 05, 08:59 PM
Bertha

On Thu, 26 May 2005 19:24:53 GMT, Sallys Mom
muttered something like:

At the risk of sounding too anal, I put things into a database and can
"slice and dice" by any column name - designer, subject, kit, chart, etc.

I did make a database once, but I didn't keep up with entering the new
ones. I'm anal, but I'm also lazy. :P

-Bertha
--
The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.
Old May 26th 05, 10:45 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 5/26/05 3:59 PM, in article , "Mirjam
Bruck-Cohen" wrote:

As an ex librararian i would file it under T and add a index card in
the D reffering you to the T .
mirjam

There's a thought!

Cheryl

Old May 26th 05, 10:51 PM
Karen C - California

wrote:

Ok - don't ask, but for some reason I've decided to alphabetize my charts.
(must be the rain!)

So, does one file Liz Turner Diehl under T or under D?

Lizzie Kate? K? L?

Or the one that really has me fuzzled - what order does Artful Impressions,
Art-Stitch and ArtVenture go in?

Cheryl

Laughing hard ! I file anything where I think I might be able to
remember where I would have put it lololol

We had a couple of those Puzzlements in the office, plus some of us had
been taught that Mc/Mac come before the regular M's, some that they come
after the regular M's, and some that Mac comes between Mab and Mad,
whether it's Mack or MacDonald. We finally took to putting colored
cardstock in *all* possible places where a file might be, reminding
searchers in the K's that Lizzie*Kate belongs in the L's.

--
Karen C - California
Finished 5/8/05 - "H is for Hyacinth"

WIP: 50th Anniversary sampler for my parents, Stars of Merlin
wedding sampler
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
blogging at http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/
Old May 27th 05, 12:37 AM
Sallys Mom

GREAT answer!!! It got me to lol - not an easy thing to do when reading a
message board! Thanks.

Old May 27th 05, 03:03 AM
Jenn Liace

wrote:

So, does one file Liz Turner Diehl under T or under D?

Because I deal with corporations that use the owner's name a lot, I'm
accustomed to looking at the corporate name. So John Smith, MD's
estate plan file would be kept under Smith, while John Smith, MD, SC
(which is the corporation) would be filed under John.

Therefore, I'd look on the chart for indications of how Liz Turner
Diehl (or any other designer) was incorporated. If I couldn't find
anything, then I'd file by last name.

Lizzie Kate? K? L?

That's definitely an L, because the official company name is
Lizzie*Kate (again, based on the way they're filed at the office)

Or the one that really has me fuzzled - what order does Artful Impressions,
Art-Stitch and ArtVenture go in?

Artful
Art-Stitch
ArtVenture

We ignore spaces and punctuation when we file, it's straight
alphabetic. Might not be library accurate, but that's how the office
does it and thats what I'm used to.

Jenn L.
--
www.needleful-things.com - NEW!
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace

Current projects:
Nordic Needle Rose (Silver Lining)
Starry Night (Vincent van Gogh via Cross Stitch Collectibles)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)
Home of the Brave (Sally Rung)
Old May 27th 05, 02:30 PM
anne

Lucretia Borgia said
Must be because you went back to school lol My filing system works
very well. For instance in my address book some of the people are
filed by first name and some by last name but I always remember which
place to look. I only had difficulty with one, so I wrote him in
under first name and again under last name, solved that one lol As
you get older, you get more canny.

In my address book, I've put plumber under P, hair dresser under H, etc. When I
was working, I had list of co-worker's office numbers under W.
--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply