OT - Only a quilter....

Old March 4th 04, 02:01 PM
Jo in Scotland

Default OT - Only a quilter....

Only a Quilter by Tom and Madge Powis...June 2003

We've all heard the classic line that only a quilter would take yards
and yards of material, cut it into little pieces and then sew them back
together again. While this statement is true and a little funny to
think about, it doesn't even scratch the surface of the things that only
a quilter would do.

* Only a Quilter would spend more hours sewing several hundreds of
buttons on a quilt to embellish it, but wouldn't take five minutes to
replace a button on a pair of pants.

*Only a Quilter would give the gift of a wedding quilt two months after
the birth of the couple's second child.

*Only a Quilter would put hundreds of dollars worth of fabric into her
fabric stash because she might find a use for it sometime, but wouldn't
replace a 50-cent needle on her sewing machine.

*Only a Quilter would let three later -arriving patients go ahead of her
at the doctor's office because she is on the verge of completing a
block.

*Only a Quilter would rush to finish a gift quilt. Not so it's done in
time for the recipients birthday, but so it's done in time for Show and
Tell.

*Only a Quilter would make a special quilt to give to her son, who would
then have to attend quilt shows just to see it.

*Only a Quilter would use freezer paper in the production of something
to keep someone warm.

*Only a Quilter has a welcome mat at the door to her home and an "Enter
at Your Own Risk" sign on the door of her sewing room.

*Only a Quilter invites everyone to see her sewing room, then says,
"Don't look at the mess."

*Only a Quilter says, "I really don't need another project," then offers
to make a quilt for a friend.

*Only a Quilter will buy more than she'll ever need of one fabric for
her stash, but slightly less than is needed of another fabric to
complete a project.

*Only a Quilter would give a quilt book to the guild auction then bid on
it to get it back.

*Only a Quilter would drive 40 miles in a hurricane to attend a quilt
show, but call out to have her dinner delivered because it is drizzling.

* Only a Quilter's family would put up with, understand and love a
quilter.
Old March 4th 04, 09:02 PM
Judy Kerr

Brilliant! The Show and Tell one sounds like me.

Judy in UK

--
Remove NOSPAM to reply

om...

Old March 4th 04, 09:28 PM
MJ

I love these -- I'm saving them for the future and sending them on to
our newsletter chairman -- only wish I had them last year when I was
doing it!

Old March 4th 04, 10:24 PM
Helen in MN

I resemble the sew on a button one, but mine would be "would sew for hours
on a queen size quilt, but won't buy pants if they need hemming!"

Helen in MN

Old March 4th 04, 10:33 PM
Lisa Ellis

Jo in Scotland wrote:

*Only a Quilter would give the gift of a wedding quilt two months after
the birth of the couple's second child.

The 'wedding' quilts I make usually turn outto be anniversary quilts.
My excuse - I need to know if the marriage is going to last...

*Only a Quilter would rush to finish a gift quilt. Not so it's done in
time for the recipients birthday, but so it's done in time for Show and
Tell.

I once threw a border on a quilt top I had purchased at an antique sale,
just so I could take it to show and tell. I came home and got ready to
baste the quilt, only to realize why the quilt had never been quilted.
It didn't lay flat, and all the blocks were different sizes. I had to
take it apart and re-make it.

*Only a Quilter would give a quilt book to the guild auction then bid on
it to get it back.

I've never done this, but I have bought a fabric, only to discover that
I already have some in my stash...

lisae

Old March 4th 04, 11:44 PM
Carolyn McCarty

Not OT at all! Cute, too. Best part was, I recognized myself in several
places.....

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old March 5th 04, 04:22 AM
Mystified One

*Only a Quilter would give a quilt book to the guild auction then bid on
it to get it back.

I've never done this, but I have bought a fabric, only to discover that
I already have some in my stash...

I bought a book because I lost it. I found the first copy again, and gave
one of them to the guild's silent auction. The book was $22 brand new, and
it pained me to see it only netted the guild $5.