A-Z of New York

Old June 18th 04, 01:53 AM
Momjws1

I know some of them are lame and I simply couldn't come up with anything for
X, but I would consider the following as candidates for a quintessential New

What about XXX for 42nd Street?

Jane in WV
Old June 18th 04, 02:52 AM
Alison

Well she could list The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island.
Manhattan is a borough but it's not really what is meant when boroughs
are mentioned. All 5 boroughs are New York City but Manhattan is The
City to most of us.

Alison

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:05:33 -0400, "Lucille"
wrote:

How can she list 5 boroughs in 4 squares?? LOLOL
Lucille

"Tara D" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:00:38 +0100, "Kate Hare"
wrote:

There are 26 letters in the alphabet but my piece will measure 6 squares

x 5
squares. That means I have four exra squares( one in each corner ). I

would
like these four squares to have a definate theme - could all be famous
faces, or some kind of emblem or symbol connected to NY - any ideas? It
doesn't matter what letter they start with.

What about listing all the Boroughs in those squares?

Tara

Old June 18th 04, 03:03 AM
Lucille

Sorry to disagree with you but I was born in Brooklyn and lived there for 60
years and never ever thought of New York City as being anything less than 5
boroughs. Yes, I called Manhattan the "City," probably (and this is a
guess) because it certainly is the most sophisticated and important borough,
but that still doesn't make it anything but a borough. Definitely the most
well known one, but a borough nevertheless.

Lucille

wrote:

How can she list 5 boroughs in 4 squares?? LOLOL
Lucille

.. .

Old June 18th 04, 04:22 PM
Katherine Hutter

"Momjws1" wrote in message
I know some of them are lame and I simply couldn't come up with anything

for
X, but I would consider the following as candidates for a quintessential

New

What about XXX for 42nd Street?

Jane in WV

I take it you haven't been to NYC in awhile... 42nd st is now Disney-fied
and family friendly. All the XXX have moved around the corners to the
avenues.

Katherine

Old June 18th 04, 04:26 PM
Katherine Hutter

I think it's a matter of perspective. I grew up in Long Island and when we
(my friends and I) said "the city" we only meant Manhattan. It wasn't until
I actually worked in Manhattan that I "discovered" the boroughs, but it's
still not what I think of when I say "the city". I lived in Queens, not the
city. I went to Brooklyn, not the city. And now I live in the city
(manhattan). So, I guess it's just how you've been raised to think of it
all.

Katherine

wrote:

How can she list 5 boroughs in 4 squares?? LOLOL
Lucille

.. .

Old June 18th 04, 04:52 PM
Lucille

I lived in Brooklyn and worked in Manhattan. You and I agree that we call
Manhattan "The City." That still doesn't take away the fact that it's a
borough, has always been a borough and will always remain a borough. I know
it's definitely the most important borough and certainly the most
interesting borough, but no matter what we think, it's a borough.

Living in Brooklyn when we traveled to Manhattan we referred to it as
Uptown, when we went to the court areas in Brooklyn we traveled Downtown.
Who knows why, but that's the way it was.

From what I know from my Bronx friends, when they traveled to Manhattan they
traveled downtown. It's all in your perspective.

Lucille

news

wrote:

How can she list 5 boroughs in 4 squares?? LOLOL
Lucille

.. .

Old June 20th 04, 02:07 AM
Momjws1

I take it you haven't been to NYC in awhile... 42nd st is now Disney-fied
and family friendly. All the XXX have moved around the corners to the
avenues.

Yes, I knew that. Aren't you all interested in the "memories"? VBEG

Jane in WV