A-Z of New York

Old June 14th 04, 04:51 PM
JoyceG in WA

Sorry! big grin "P" has got to be for "Puget Sound" one of the most beautiful
places in the U.S. I'm not a native Washingtonian, but the beauty of this
region never fails to take my breath away.

-JoyceG in WA

Well, for "P" I suggest the statue of William Penn on top of City Hall
in Philadelphia...and you can add a big fat soft pretzel in his hand.

Don't forget the mustard.

Rosemary in Huntingdon county PA

Old June 14th 04, 04:55 PM
Eleanor

I think that N should be for Nathan's - I see a picture of a hot dog!

Eleanr, born and raised in Brooklyn

Old June 14th 04, 05:09 PM
Lucille

I like that idea a lot. I was born in Brooklyn too and remember it well.
Lucille

Old June 14th 04, 09:34 PM
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen

Alison wrote:
Well as a Brooklynite I think B should be the Brooklyn Bridge (double
B! and it would make a lovely design!)
C could also be Central Park
S for Staten Island
G for Grant's Tomb
C for the Cloisters
I for Inwood (neighborhood in northern Manhattan)
W for World Trade Center
or T for Twin Towers
Y for Yankees!!!!

Alison

The list so far:
B is for Big Apple,
B is for Brooklyn ( or B is for Battery Park or Broadway)
C is for Coney Island
D is for Dining
E is for Empire State Building
F is for Fashion
F is for Ferry (Statton Island),
H is for Harlem
L is for Liberty (Statue of)
M is for Metropolitan Museum,
R is for Rockefeller Centre (Or Rockettes)
S is for SubwayT is for Theater
U is for UN,
V is for Verazzano Bridge
W is for Wall Street
Y is for Yonkers
Y is for Yellow Cab etc

for "F": Isn't there the Fulton Fish Market in NYC? We went there on a
field trip Sr. year.

B can be Broadway...and call the whole piece "The Big Apple Alphabet"

J - this may be slightly cheating: The Cathedral of St John the Divine

Knickerbockers, definitely! This is an old-time NYC word, going back to
the original Dutch settlers.

T has to be Times Square...where the ball drops on New Years' Eve.

Old June 15th 04, 01:42 AM
emerald

F for Fifth Avenue
T for Tiffany's

emerald

Old June 15th 04, 02:08 AM
Dawne Peterson

"Kate Hare" wrote..
It doesn't have to be just places - it can be well known people who have

strong connection with New York. Historical figures or people in the
entertainment industry. Any ideas on this?

Well then, Z could be Florenz Ziegfield, surrounded by the showgirls from
his Follies.
Dawne

Old June 15th 04, 02:12 AM
CANDY CORRIGAN

Since I'm from NJ, I'm close enough to know the territory but don't have any
neighborhood/ borough bias. I have tried to hit all five boroughs with at
least one reference for each, but let's face it if you want New York City,
even in Brooklyn and the Bronx when they say the city, they mean Manhattan.
I know some of them are lame and I simply couldn't come up with anything for
X, but I would consider the following as candidates for a quintessential New
York City Alphabet:

A Apple
B Broadway, Brooklyn Bridge, Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, The Battery or The
Bowery, Bloomingdales
C is for Coney Island, The Cloister's, Central Park, Chinatown, Chrysler
Building
D is for Dining
E is for Empire State Building, Ellis Island
F is for Fulton Fish Market
G is for Grant's Tomb, Governor's Island, Greenwich Village, Grant Street,
Grand Central Station
H is for Harlem
I is for IRT, IND (subway lines)
J is for Catherdral of St. John the Divine, Javit's Center, Juilliard
K is for Kips Bay Boys Club
L is for Liberty (Statue of), Lincoln Center, Little Italy, 5th Avenue
Library with the Lions, in either their Christmas' wreaths or construction
hard hats
M is for Metropolitan Museum, Museum of Modern Art, Museum of Natural
History, Macy's, Madison Square Garden, Main Post Office
N is for The New Yorker building, Nathan's, NY Stock Exchange
O is for the Opera, City or Met
P St. Patrick's Catheral or St. Paul's (The Little Church that Stood), Penn
Station or the Planitarium
Q is for Queens Midtown Tunnel
R is for Rockefeller Centre or Radio City Music Hall(Or Rockettes)
S is for Subway, Soho, Staten Island Ferry or Shea Stadium, Sheep's Meadow
T is for Times Square, Theater Trinity Church, Trump Tower
U is for United Nations
V is for Verazzano Bridge
W is for Wall Street, Waldorf-Astoria, George Washington Bridge, Washington
Square Arch, Woolworth Building
Y is for Yamkee Stadium
Z is for Zoo, Bronx or Central Park

Old June 15th 04, 09:00 AM
Kate Hare

I like T is for Tiffany's - I could do a pale blue square with a big white
bow on it!

Kate
------------------

Albany Hill
www.albanyhill.com
email
to reply please remove the "no spam" from header

"emerald" wrote in message
F for Fifth Avenue
T for Tiffany's

emerald

Old June 15th 04, 09:05 AM
Kate Hare

Yay! I love that idea. Maybe I could have three showgirls making up the
letter "Z" - you know how they used to do all that stuff that was shot from
above where they would lie on the floor in a big circle and it would look
like a flower opening up or something...

Kate

Old June 15th 04, 10:00 AM
Kate Hare

There are 26 letters in the alphabet but my piece will measure 6 squares x 5
squares. That means I have four exra squares( one in each corner ). I would
like these four squares to have a definate theme - could all be famous
faces, or some kind of emblem or symbol connected to NY - any ideas? It
doesn't matter what letter they start with.

Kate