A-Z of New York

Old June 14th 04, 03:13 AM
NYC Chicka

B is for Big Apple,
B is for Brooklyn ( or B is for Battery Park or Broadway)
C is for Coney Island
D is for Dining
E is for Empire State Building
F is for Fashion
F is for Ferry (Statton Island),
H is for Harlem
L is for Liberty (Statue of)
M is for Metropolitan Museum,
R is for Rockefeller Centre (Or Rockettes)
S is for Subway

T is for Theater
U is for UN,
V is for Verazzano Bridge
W is for Wall Street
Y is for Yonkers
Y is for Yellow Cab etc

Well....

A is for APPLE
C is for Central Park
G is for Grand Central Terminal
I is for Intrepid (the destroyer ship on the west side) or Little Italy
P for St. Patrick's Cathedral? or Pizza!
Z for The Bronx Zoo

Old June 14th 04, 04:47 AM
Ruthie

Even better than C for the Cloisters, how about U for the Unicorn
Tapestries, which live there? Then C can be Coney, or the Park.

Another favorite road of mine: Riverside Drive. Played in that park many
a time.

O for off-Broadway theaters
or
O for the Opera houses, Metropolitan and New York City

G for the Guggenheim

or a great big M for Museums - the Met, MOMA, Nat. History, Guggie,
where else have I spent some of my NYC hours...

J for Julliard?

And let's not forget Greenwich Village!

Ruthie in Colorado, whose grandparents lived at 116th and B'way, near
Union Theological Seminary, where Grandaddy was the Librarian.

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 6/13/04 8:14 PM, in article ,
"Alison" wrote:

Well as a Brooklynite I think B should be the Brooklyn Bridge (double
B! and it would make a lovely design!)
C could also be Central Park
S for Staten Island
G for Grant's Tomb
C for the Cloisters
I for Inwood (neighborhood in northern Manhattan)
W for World Trade Center
or T for Twin Towers
Y for Yankees!!!!

Alison

The list so far:
B is for Big Apple,
B is for Brooklyn ( or B is for Battery Park or Broadway)
C is for Coney Island
D is for Dining
E is for Empire State Building
F is for Fashion
F is for Ferry (Statton Island),
H is for Harlem
L is for Liberty (Statue of)
M is for Metropolitan Museum,
R is for Rockefeller Centre (Or Rockettes)
S is for SubwayT is for Theater
U is for UN,
V is for Verazzano Bridge
W is for Wall Street
Y is for Yonkers
Y is for Yellow Cab etc

P is for Pocono!
G is for Gotham
I is for (the) Island
Q is for Queens

Cheryl

--
ÐÏࡱá

Old June 14th 04, 09:45 AM
Kate Hare

It doesn't have to be just places - it can be well known people who have a
strong connection with New York. Historical figures or people in the
entertainment industry. Any ideas on this?

Kate,
sunny Dunfermline
---------------
Albany Hill
www.albanyhill.com
email
please remove the "nospam" from header to

"Dannielle" wrote in message
What about the rest of the state? You are focusing on just the city -

which
is fine if that's your goal, but there are other parts of the state too!
Niagra Falls, Catskill Mountains, tons of mansions and history that can be
called upon for your needs!

Dannielle

"Lucille" wrote in message
Thanks for liking some of my idea. The Verazzano Narrows Bridge was,

when
it opened in 1964, the longest suspension bridge in the world. I think
there's one now in England that's a little longer. The bridge goes from
Brooklyn to Staten Island and you can see the Statue of Liberty when

you're
crossing it. It's stunning to see at night.

Yes, I'm a New Yorker by birth. I live in Florida now but I'll always

be
New Yorker at heart.

Lucille

"Kate Hare" wrote in message
Lucille,

I particularly like W is for Wallsteet! Haven't heard of Verazzano

Bridge -
is it very famous? I definately have to do L is for statue of

Liberty -
just
hope I can do her justice with my needle & canvas! Are you a New

Yorker?

Kate,
sunny Dunfermline
---------------

Albany Hill
www.albanyhill.com
email
please remove the "nospam" from header to

"Lucille" wrote in message
How about F is for Fashion, T is for Theater, D is for Dining, L is

for
Liberty (Statue of), S is for Subway, M is for Metropolitan Museum,

is
for
Verazzano Bridge, W is for Wall Street

Lucille

"Kate Hare" wrote in message
Hi,

I've been toying with the idea of designing an alphabet

needlepoint
wall-hanging but wanted a theme besides the usual A is for

apple....
thought about doing an International version with each letter in a
foreign
language before deciding it was way too complicated. Then I

thought
about
doing one based on the United States as seen through a British
perspective.
I've since narrowed it down a bit further and want to concentrate

on
New
York. This is where I need some help - any suggestions? I've

thought
of
some
obvious ones already - B is for Big Apple, Y is for Yellow Cab

etc....
Each
letter will be approx 60 stitches x 60 stitches in size so I can't

be
too
ambitious with the design. I'm also keen to do an A-Z of London

which
incorporates a bit if cockney rhyming slang!

Kate,
sunny Dunfermline
---------------

Albany Hill
www.albanyhill.com
email
please remove the "nospam" from header to reply

Old June 14th 04, 09:50 AM
Kate Hare

Thanks guys,

This is really helpful - I'm making a list of all the suggestions so I can
go and look up the places I haven't heard of and see if they would make good
designs.

Kate
sunny Dunfermline
---------------

Albany Hill
www.albanyhill.com
email
to reply please remove the "no spam" from header

"Ruthie" wrote in message
k.net...
Even better than C for the Cloisters, how about U for the Unicorn
Tapestries, which live there? Then C can be Coney, or the Park.

Another favorite road of mine: Riverside Drive. Played in that park many
a time.

O for off-Broadway theaters
or
O for the Opera houses, Metropolitan and New York City

G for the Guggenheim

or a great big M for Museums - the Met, MOMA, Nat. History, Guggie,
where else have I spent some of my NYC hours...

J for Julliard?

And let's not forget Greenwich Village!

Ruthie in Colorado, whose grandparents lived at 116th and B'way, near
Union Theological Seminary, where Grandaddy was the Librarian.

Old June 14th 04, 02:02 PM
anne

M is for Metropolitan Museum,

M for Manhattan for would be much better, imnsho

G for Goethals Bridge

http://www.panynj.gov/tbt/gbframe.HTM

R is for Rockefeller Centre (Or Rockettes)

R is for Radio City Music Hall

J is for Jacob Javits

http://www.sunysb.edu/library/javitsb.htm

Of course, N would be for New York City ;-)

O is for Opera (metropolitan opera house)

Q is for Queens

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply, ex-NewYawker
Old June 14th 04, 03:54 PM
Monique Reed

B is for Barneys or Broadway
P is for pushcarts
F is for Flatiron building...
S is for subway

Monique in TX
Old June 14th 04, 04:18 PM
Rosemary

"Kate Hare" wrote in message ...
I'm so excited about the A-Z of New York I've decided to do another alphabet
design - this time based on the whole of the United States. Famous
historical figures, cultural icons, food, places, people etc...keep those
suggestions coming!

Well, for "P" I suggest the statue of William Penn on top of City Hall
in Philadelphia...and you can add a big fat soft pretzel in his hand.

Don't forget the mustard.

Rosemary in Huntingdon county PA
Old June 14th 04, 04:41 PM
Texasxsgal1

K is for Knickerbockers (now the NBA Knicks}
kathy
san antion
(bothparens born and raised in NYC (Queensfor Mom and the Bronx for Dad)