Old Wives tale, wisdom or superstition?

Old August 12th 03, 08:52 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

[[[no reference given regarding who posted the following]]]
putting out the statue of the child
of Prague outside the back door the night before an important event ie
a wedding to ensure good weather.

From: (Mirjam Bruck-Cohen)
Excuse me , could you explain to me who this Child is ????

I am not the original poster (don't know what that is) but the child spoken
of is the Infant of Prague -- this is the Baby Jesus as the people in Poland (I
assume) honor him. I don't remember how the Baby Jesus came to be known as the
Infant of Prague, I just know that every Cathollic Church I attended as a child
& young adult had a statue of him in the church -- usually on the left side of
the altar. CiaoMeow ^;;^
..
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old August 13th 03, 10:29 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Thank you Tia Mary ,,,
But may i correct you respectfully , Prague is in Chechia [ex part of
Checoslovakia] not in Poland.
mirjam

Old August 14th 03, 04:29 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Manneken Pis,
is a sculpture of a little boy peeing , in a corner between 2 alleys
near the Grand Place of Brusseles,
The story is that in the middle ages some rebbeles, set fire to the
city walls and the little boy saved the city . Ever since he is a
National Belgian Hero. the statue is well taken care of , the alley is
always full with tourists, and the stautue is dressed with various
custumes according to date and holidays, costumes are on display in
local neear by museum.
mirjam
ps of course statue has been stolen once or twice, but restored , It
is a national symbol not a religious one.
mirjam

From: (Mirjam Bruck-Cohen)

In Belgium Maneken Pis has over 200 costumes

Is the Maneken Pis the Belgium equivalent of the Infant of Prague or is it a
different statue altogether? I am assuming it is a statue of some sort -- the
word maneken is just too close to our word mannequin (likely stolen from the
French)! CiaoMeow ^;;^
.