Old Wives tale, wisdom or superstition?

Old August 9th 03, 04:08 AM
Susie Jordan

Default Old Wives tale, wisdom or superstition?

I started to begin a new project today to add to my short rotation.
But then an old saying that my grandmother used to say popped into my
mind. She said that if you begin a project on a Friday, you would
never finish it. I then remembered when I was a very young mother
making clothes for myself and my children I did cut out a suit for
myself one Friday - I never finished it!

Hmmm, wonder if all those UFO's hanging around were begun on Friday?

Do you have any old sayings that are similar?

Susie Jordan

BTW, I'm waiting until tomorrow to start this project.
Old August 9th 03, 01:45 PM
Barbara Vaughan

Susie Jordan wrote:

I started to begin a new project today to add to my short rotation.
But then an old saying that my grandmother used to say popped into my
mind. She said that if you begin a project on a Friday, you would
never finish it. I then remembered when I was a very young mother
making clothes for myself and my children I did cut out a suit for
myself one Friday - I never finished it!

Hmmm, wonder if all those UFO's hanging around were begun on Friday?

Do you have any old sayings that are similar?

There's a saying in Italian:

"Ne di Venere ne di Marte
non si sposa e non si parte
e non si da inzio all'arte"

Translation: Neither on Venus (whose day is Friday) nor on Mars (whose
day is Tuesday)
do you marry or leave [on a journey], nor do you begin a project.

I believe it's a very old superstition, dating to Roman times.

Barbara
Old August 9th 03, 04:03 PM
JAKL

"Ne di Venere ne di Marte
non si sposa e non si parte
e non si da inzio all'arte"

Translation: Neither on Venus (whose day is Friday) nor on Mars (whose
day is Tuesday)
do you marry or leave [on a journey], nor do you begin a project.

Hmmmmmmmmm very interesting. might explain a lot of things then!
Married on a Friday, all my travels have begun on Friday (and one ended on
Friday as well). Doesn't entirely work with my stitching, though, as I
actually do keep track of start and finish dates on everything since about a
year ago, and I have 4 pieces finished that started on Fridays and oe that was
a Tuesday start. (yep, I just looked at my book)

Jenn L.
View My Webshots: http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
Current projects:
Chicago Skyline (The Needlecraftsman)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)
Old August 9th 03, 08:21 PM
Karen C - California

I don't keep track of start dates, though I can tell you Mermaid of the Pearls
was started right after work Friday of Memorial Day weekend 1999. As my
birthday present to myself, I declared a stitching-only weekend, to work on
something for me. I worked on her till midnight every night of the long
weekend, got her half-done ... and probably haven't put a stitch into her
since!

I'm not even sure where she is at the moment, other than "probably somewhere in
the living room" (since that's where I do most of my stitching).

--
Finished 7/4/03 -- Army Wife
WIP: Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe, Guide the Hands (2d

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old August 9th 03, 08:38 PM
Lucille

Just last week I came across a partially done little Sunset Jiffy embroidery
kit of a patchwork teddy bear, complete with plastic rolling eyes, that is
marked 1976. Not only don't I have a clue what day I started it, but I
don't have any idea why I bought it in the first place. I decided to finish
it and now I'm looking for a good home for it. I think my friend's
daughter-in-law might use it in her 3 year old's room.
Lucille

Old August 9th 03, 09:21 PM
Lorraine Taylor

Oh, now Jenn here I was all excited. I figured I had a wonderful excuse why
I hadn't finished some of my UFOs (I started them on a friday so I'll never
finish them), even though I have no idea what day of the week I started any
of them, and you blew my excuse out of the water.

Sigh,
Lorraine

--
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield -author unknown

Old August 9th 03, 09:44 PM
Sampler45

Lucille - I have all four of those teddy bears! My sister did them for my
daughter's nursery - DD will turn 27 this October. Somehow I can't "bear" to
get rid of them.

Pat in NJ

FINISHED - Just Nan's "Silkwood Manor"
WIPs
Stoney Creek Afghan - "Nature's Homes"
Moira Blackburns "Three Things" Sampler

Old August 11th 03, 02:47 PM
emer

"JAKL" wrote in message
"Ne di Venere ne di Marte
non si sposa e non si parte
e non si da inzio all'arte"

Translation: Neither on Venus (whose day is Friday) nor on Mars (whose
day is Tuesday)
do you marry or leave [on a journey], nor do you begin a project.

If this is so why should you always move into a new house on a Friday
as moving on any other day is regarded as bad luck.

There is also the superstition of putting out the statue of the child
of Prague outside the back door the night before an important event ie
a wedding to ensure good weather.

From a stitching point of view my mother always blesses the material
before she cuts out a pattern and a friend of hers sprinkles holy
water on either the material or the sissors before she cuts out.
Old August 11th 03, 03:09 PM
Barbara Vaughan

emer wrote:

[I wrote, but the attribution was erased]
"Ne di Venere ne di Marte
non si sposa e non si parte
e non si da inzio all'arte"

Translation: Neither on Venus (whose day is Friday) nor on Mars (whose
day is Tuesday)
do you marry or leave [on a journey], nor do you begin a project.

If this is so why should you always move into a new house on a Friday
as moving on any other day is regarded as bad luck.

I would imagine that in Italy, one wouldn't dream of moving into a new
house on Friday. I never heard anything about this, but moving could be
construed as both "leaving" and "beginning a project".

There is also the superstition of putting out the statue of the child
of Prague outside the back door the night before an important event ie
a wedding to ensure good weather.

I see that you're posting from Ireland. I'm the daughter of an Irish
family. My grandmom used to throw a broom out the door after someone who
was leaving to look for work or for some other important business. It
was supposed to guarantee the success of the enterprise.

Barbara
Old August 12th 03, 08:13 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Translation: Neither on Venus (whose day is Friday) nor on Mars (whose
day is Tuesday)
do you marry or leave [on a journey], nor do you begin a project.

In Jewish tradition , Tuesday is very lucky and many do marry, since
in the Creation chapter Tuesday is blessed Twice.
hould you always move into a new house on a Friday

probably as it was the last day of the working week?
as moving on any other day is regarded as bad luck.

or hard if you keep a job and can`t loose working hours!
There is also the superstition of putting out the statue of the child
of Prague outside the back door the night before an important event ie
a wedding to ensure good weather.

Excuse me , could you explain to me who this Child is ????
From a stitching point of view my mother always blesses the material

My Prternal Oma always said; " Now let see waht you can Do!" than she
cut it .
mirjam