REALLY OT..Info on Sunbeam MixMster

Old January 17th 09, 02:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Default REALLY OT..Info on Sunbeam MixMster

says...
OK, guys, we are in the midst of the big annual yardsale. I have
unearthed the EMIL's Sunbeam MixMaster. #100-86659. It has the two
bowls, and various mixing tools. Is this something I stick $2 on, or is
it really more of a collector pieces.

It doesn't matter how good the mixer is or how much it might be worth. What's
important is will it sell. Consider the shoppers -- if you've done this before,
you have a sense of what they'll spend for things.

--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old January 17th 09, 03:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mary

I am one of those people who simply adores owning and using what some
people would call antiques and others would call junk! I use antique
cast iron, baking pans and biscuit cutters from the 1920's, saucepans
from the 1930's, kerosene table lamps that have been converted to
electricity, my grandmother's treadle sewing machine from 1896, 100-
year old chandeliers I have had re-wired, and a stove-top toaster. I
enjoy using my mother's slicer from the 1940's -- the 3-legged kind
with the different styles of slicing drums and crank. I have a
Universal grinder that clamps onto a table that makes wonderful beef
salad and chicken salad from leftovers. I am looking for an inverted
v-shaped electric toaster to have refurbished. I have a 1906 Victrola
in the living room (yes, it works beautifully!) and a reel mower in
the garage to cut the grass. When I find the right Sunbeam Mixmaster
it will come live on my counter and be used, too! I cook from scratch
and often try antique recipes -- some are great! I'm not a complete
throw-back, of course, and although my house was built in the 1889 it
has proper insulation, modern double-glazed windows, completely up-to-
code electricity and plumbling, central air, etc. It's very
comfortable, and I blend modern safety and comfort with the old-
fashioned things. I grow my own tomatoes and peppers and herbe, make
jam, and I do tatting, and every stitch in any quilt is by hand.
However, sometimes a "modern" sewing machine is a great thing,
especially for "sewing days" at the church, and I am delighted with my
most recent purchase -- a Singer Model 221 (Featherweight) that works
perfectly and has all attachments, etc. And, of course, I'm sitting
here at a computer . . . I guess the message is that just because
something is old doesn't mean it should be tossed! Someone will love
it.
Old January 17th 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Mary wrote:
...snipped.... I guess the message is that just because
something is old doesn't mean it should be tossed! Someone will love
it.

Rather like quite a few of us :-). CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old January 17th 09, 07:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Linda D.

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 06:42:25 -0800 (PST), Mary
opined:
snipped* I guess the message is that just because
something is old doesn't mean it should be tossed! *Someone will love
it.

On Jan 17, 7:21 am, lucretia borgia
wrote:
I wasn't suggesting tossing it, merely that yard sale prices are a
thing unto themselves. * If Gillian can find the person who would
value it, she will get more. *If it goes out on the table in a yard
sale, unless they are very different yard sales in Florida, $20 is
over the top.

I understand what you are saying, but if it doesn't sell, then give it
to someone who will appreciate it. Heck, if you sell it for $2 that
person will probably resell it for who knows what.

We had a Garage Sale several years ago, what a laugh that was! The
first things that sold were crap...for instance a freaking rock doll.
I'm serious, it was a @#$% doll made of stacked up rocks with a set of
googly eyes and hair like a Troll. We sold the stupid thing for
$2...why would anyone have even wanted it! Then, we sold a fan...it
worked, but the plastic casing was cracked and broken, it sold for
$5. Next on the list was an old bayonette...heaven knows where DH got
that thing, and I think it went for $10. The list of junk is
endless. On the other hand...I didn't sell any of the Fisher Price
toys. They were like new, clean as a whistle, all the parts, but not
one of them sold. I figured what the heck, I will keep them for
grandkids. Plus, the wicker furniture, that was also like new, we
ended up practically giving it away just to get it out of the house.

Garage Sales/Yard Sales are the strangest events.

take care, Linda

Old January 17th 09, 09:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

wrote:
I wasn't suggesting tossing it, merely that yard sale prices are a
thing unto themselves. * If Gillian can find the person who would
value it, she will get more. *If it goes out on the table in a yard
sale, unless they are very different yard sales in Florida, $20 is
over the top.

I understand what you are saying, but if it doesn't sell, then give it
to someone who will appreciate it. Heck, if you sell it for $2 that
person will probably resell it for who knows what.

*snip*

Garage Sales/Yard Sales are the strangest events.

take care, Linda

This is so true. When we bought the prior house, and finally were moving
stuff out of DH's old house, we decided to have a yard sale. There was a
fair amount of furniture and just weird junk that had been his folks, etc
that we didn't need or want. We bought reasonable prices sold the dining
room china cabinet - for something reasonable - maybe $100, sold some single
bed -head & foot boards - nice wood - probably the pair for maybe $40. Sold
a set of bookcases. But, then we had made some deal and gave the painter
the dining room table - which was about 50-60 years old, and had likely not
been great when bought. Then getting into selling weird stuff - the old
awuariam, lamps, little things like odd trinkets - some sell for way more
than you think they should. At the end - we made about $700 - which of
course his sisters thought was way too little - but they're idiots. We did
sell a lot for the $1, $2, $5. We also sold a lot of clothes & ties - kind
of grab bag.

In the new house, we're not allowed to have individual garage/yard sales.
The HOA organizes one in the fall and the spring. You fill out an
application, they do the ads in the local papers, and put up signs. They
also publish a map of the area, and indicate all the homes with sales.
Alternatively, at the community center they set up tables/tents - which you
can rent a table space for I thin $10. It doesn't cost to have one at your
house. We participated a year ago, and again - it's a who can tell. We
sold the dog's lovely barn (not allowed) for $75 - given it cost about $375,
and was used it was okay. Sold a great hammock at a give away - maybe $20,
then had offers for a patio set, but they couldn't fit it in - Tropitone
table, chairs and umbrella - new was $1500, selling it for $150 to start
then marked it $125. OTOH, we sold DH's old 10 speed for $25 - in cherry
condition. And a spare vacuum - for $7. Other things - it was all over the
place. We did sell a collapsible dog crate/carrier (too small) that was
virtually new for $15. OTOH, we couldn't give away the potpourri simmer
pot, a crystal & pewter covered candy dish (even for $2), and this wooden
desk that folds all up as a cabinet - which is now in the garage, and for us
to keep wwighs so much we need help to take it downstairs. Couldn't sell
the IKEA wall/entertainment unit - that had seen some better days - so we
ended up just trashing it. So, our experience has been all over the place.
We mostly price a lot of things in packages - old hankies, scarves, ties -
and price them cheap. Sold a bunch of costume jewelry from his mom that
way, as well. There's no telling. We'll probably unlaod a bunch of stuff
this April. We still have an extra couch - from DH's old house - that has
carted around - was in the basement at the prior house, and we don't need it
- so I think it's going to Purple Heart or the Children's Hospital as a
donation - for whoever will drag it out of the basement.

Ellice

Old January 18th 09, 03:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

lucretia borgia wrote:
On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 08:33:57 -0500, anne opined:

says...
OK, guys, we are in the midst of the big annual yardsale. I have
unearthed the EMIL's Sunbeam MixMaster. #100-86659. It has the two
bowls, and various mixing tools. Is this something I stick $2 on, or is
it really more of a collector pieces.

It doesn't matter how good the mixer is or how much it might be worth. What's
important is will it sell. Consider the shoppers -- if you've done this before,
you have a sense of what they'll spend for things.

True words. What the item is worth and what someone will pay at a
yard sale, are two different things.

Hey, friends,

I looked at the machine, and washed it up quite a bit. It cleaned up
pretty well. The input from all of you was extremely helpful...many
thanks to all.

Jim's cousin is into "VIntage" stuff..please don't ask me to define it.
She is a legitimate dealer, and does know her stuff.( She is
sooooocool..an ex-bodybuilder, does costume design for the Miami ballet
etc).However, I know she likes old kitchen things, and she has a "booth"
at the big antique mall in Mt Dora.

So, I thought I might ask Barbara to look it over, along with bunch of
other old things, and get her additional opinion. I found a bunch of
strange knives which belonged to the EMIL's second husband, who was a
professional chef in the 50-70s. When I really looked at them carefully,
they were all made in Japan (could be good or bad) and by the same
manufacturer. Maybe that lot goes to Barbara Lee also.

It isn't that I want to get rich, but they were obviously greatly
cherished by the MIL, and I would like them to go where they would be
appreciated,

Regarding the three day sale. I priced stuff REALLY low, when asked the
answer was usually a quarter or a dollar. Jim's answer was that he
wasn't qualified to make such a major decision. I swear he is a flirt!
LOLOL We came away with nearly $300US, just getting rid of excess trash.

Being cold, I sold some of the fun scarves I had knitted just for fun,.
$3 didn't cover the cost of the yarn....but more that covered the
pleasure it gave me.

Now, I am tired, the entire house looks as if a bomb hit it Tomorrow is
another day, and I shall sleep in.
BTW it was 30degs when I went out at 7.30 this morning; frost on the
windshields, but naturally we had sold the scraper eons back .l

It has been a big joke with the neighbors from Iowa that she wears
sweats, jackets and earmuffs...and Gill is in shorts and sandals!! Blew
their minds today LOL, I had long sleeve shirt, sweat shirt, jeans
jacket and jeans. Still sandals, but had socks too. For some weird
reason proper shoes bother my one foot.

More that anyone ever wanted to know..

I SURVIVED!

Gillian
Old January 18th 09, 01:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jeri

Gillian Murray wrote:
snip
Jim's cousin is into "VIntage" stuff..please don't ask me to define
it. She is a legitimate dealer, and does know her stuff.( She is
sooooocool..an ex-bodybuilder, does costume design for the Miami
ballet etc).However, I know she likes old kitchen things, and she has
a "booth" at the big antique mall in Mt Dora.

So, I thought I might ask Barbara to look it over, along with bunch of
other old things, and get her additional opinion.

snip

If the items aren't vintage enough to sell at her booth but worth more than
yard sale prices try Craig's List if you have one in your area.
http://www.craigslist.org

It costs you nothing but a little time to put an ad there. Just remember to
make it a cash only transaction.
--
Jeri
"You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because

Old January 18th 09, 03:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

Jeri wrote:
Gillian Murray wrote:
snip
Jim's cousin is into "VIntage" stuff..please don't ask me to define
it. She is a legitimate dealer, and does know her stuff.( She is
sooooocool..an ex-bodybuilder, does costume design for the Miami
ballet etc).However, I know she likes old kitchen things, and she has
a "booth" at the big antique mall in Mt Dora.

So, I thought I might ask Barbara to look it over, along with bunch of
other old things, and get her additional opinion.

snip

If the items aren't vintage enough to sell at her booth but worth more than
yard sale prices try Craig's List if you have one in your area.
http://www.craigslist.org

It costs you nothing but a little time to put an ad there. Just remember to
make it a cash only transaction.

If you aren't interested in making any money out of it you can join
FreeCycle http://www.freecycle.org/group/US which uses email to link
up people with things they don't want and don't want to go to landfill
(OFFER) and people who are looking for something (WANTED); as a
follow-up there's a TAKEN and a RECEIVED. There's a very active
freecycle group here in Orkney, here's a typical list of items offered,
taken and/or received

1. OFFER SOFA BED FINSTOWN
2. taken 3 piece suite
3. Bubble wrap/Kirkwall
4. RECEIVED: 3 seater 2 seater chair (Kirkwall)
5. Bubble wrap taken
6. SOFA BED FINSTOWN - taken
7. OFFER Computer Desk/bureau (Deerness)
8. RECEIVED: video player
9. recieved iron board
10. OFFER electrolux up right hoover bagless.
11. WANTED-urgentley 3 +2 seetter settee's or 3 seetter(sofa bed or not)
12. Wanted pens/cages/for small animal rescue(kirkwall)
13. wanted Sofa Bed - Finstown
14. RECEIVED- video player (kirkwall)
15. RECEIVED: White Tiles
16. RECEIVED: Fabric Samples
17. RECEIVED- bubble wrap (kirkwall)
18. TAKEN-electolux up right bagless hoover
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old January 18th 09, 11:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P[_2_]

"Gillian Murray" wrote in message
OK, guys, we are in the midst of the big annual yardsale. I have unearthed
the EMIL's Sunbeam MixMaster. #100-86659. It has the two bowls, and
various mixing tools. Is this something I stick $2 on, or is it really
more of a collector pieces. Haven't a clue, have never used it, but she
made banana bread forever, at least up to a couple of years before she
died in 2005.

Gill

Good Lord - was it as long ago as that? I thought it was just last year!

Pat

here is some info Stella Fenley Yarn 1 May 7th 07 07:13 PM
OT still looking for more info on TAP joysjane Quilting 3 August 19th 06 12:33 AM
info fabio Sewing 1 March 31st 05 07:55 PM
Just for your info Helen in MN Quilting 2 October 11th 04 11:49 PM
Looking for info Heather C. Yarn 3 October 3rd 04 08:08 AM