OT - don't do it!!!

Old March 13th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

Default OT - don't do it!!!

On 3/11/07 9:19 PM, "Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 3/11/07 3:08 PM, in article ,
"anne" wrote:

For those of you who use PCs, not MACS, do not, I repeat do not, upgrade
to Windows Vista or buy a new machine with Vista installed unless you
are willing to spend more money to buy new programs that allegedly run
on Vista or to spend hours and hours figuring out how to make old
programs and peripherals (i.e., printers and scanners) work with Vista.

More later if you want details... I need a drink!!!

We have Mac, have always had Macs and will always have Macs. Bill Gates has
a captive audience and knows how to expand his wealth!

Or as we say in Macland - Bill Gates is the devil ;^)

ellice

Old March 13th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Dianne Lewandowski says...
Look into Clam-Win. Fabulous program. I got the technician at
Microsoft to use it. He thought it was super. Best of all, it's free.
It updates all by itself, it works.

I love AVG but Clam-Win looks promising. If it requires a ghostscript
routine, I'm not sure if it will run on Vista.

Have you tried PDFEdit?

Nope but it sounds more like an editor than a converter. I've currently
got Doro PDF, a virtual printer, and have Primo PDF waiting in the wings
to try.

More good news: WordPerfect X3 now has the ability to convert documents
to pdf, as well as read them. That program just gets better and better.

I've been using WP since it came on 5 1/4" floppies and even have an SSI
sleeve as a momento;-) I just bought WP Office X3 even though I hadn't
budgeted for it -- I figured if I had to update an Office suite, I'd
rather pay Corel than Micro$oft.

Publish to PDF has been around for at least 2 versions but it sometimes
doesn't give as good results as a stand alone converter does.
--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old March 13th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

ellice says...
Isn't this the standard Microsoft procedure? Upgrade the system with what
doesn't quite work, regardless of ballyhooed PR campaigns, then you'll have
to pay for help pretty soon, etc. They're notorious in the business for
releasing "finished" products that others would look upon as still glorified
Beta versions.

No comment except that it was a sad day for us users when someone in the
Evil Empire convinced PC manufacturers to install only M$ operating
systems and M$ office products and peripheral makers to only write
drivers for M$. These tactics essentially killed OS/2 and made Linux a
labor of love for geeks and techies sigh

When Apple switched over to the OSX systems some years back, at least they
made sure that it can run in "classic" backward compatible mode.

IMNSHO, Jobs runs a very, very, very tight ship and exercises total
control over who is allowed to partner with Apple for hardware and
software.

--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old March 13th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 3/13/07 2:19 PM, "anne" wrote:

[...]

That is true. Simply put, if you're going to do software to run on a MAC
there are all kinds of agreements WRT standards for MAC keystrokes,
shortcuts, how menus work, etc. The upside of that - you rarely hear MAC
folks complaining about software, interoperability, backwards compatibility,
etc. Got my first MAC in grad school - in literally the first batch of them
that came out (not talking about the earlier Apples), and we also had IBMs,
Sun Stations, DEC stuff, etc. The only problems with software I have ever
had - seriously - have been with Microsoft products. And some very
occassional glitches with a shareware product or the like. But, the folks
we know who are developers seem pretty happy with their Apple interactions.
I used to go to the MAC Science & Technology conference, with another
engineer friend - we'd be doing something that would get us a couple of
papers in. Great trip, and good opportunity to see what's out there.
Haven't done that in recent times - but my old grad school officemate, and
serious MAC geek is also a VP on the WWW Consortium - so we use him for all
the constant what's new, what's a problem - on both sides of the world.

The latest issue for MAC people is rather than using Norton for disk repair
- as the systemworks MAC version actually can cause some problems - it's
better to have a handy copy of Disk Warrior. The Norton anti-virus is fine,
and there are some other products.

Now with the Intel processor, we've got several friends running Windows and
MAC OS - but essentially running Windows because of some particular
software, like Mathlab. It's amazing but for the most part it's actually
faster to run Windows on the new MACs - or at the least comparable - than
running on a PC type machine.

ellice

Old March 13th 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

ellice wrote:

you rarely hear MAC
folks complaining about software, interoperability, backwards compatibility,
etc.

True, but you DO regularly hear them complaining that software and
websites don't work on Mac.

XH bought a Mac to spite me, and, as they say, cut off his nose to spite
his face. That weekend, we went to a software store and he had a long
list of games he wanted to buy for his new computer. You got it -- not
a one of them was available in a Mac version. Needless to say, he
got no sympathy from me, since I had specifically told him to buy a PC.

--

Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

Finished 1/26/07 -- Classy Lady in Coral (JCS) -- done in purple to
match the companion piece

WIP: housewarming gift, July birthstone, Flowers of
Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

Editor/Proofreader www.KarenMCampbell.com
Design page http://www.KarenMCampbell.com/designs.html
Old March 13th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
LizardGumbo

anne wrote:

have Primo PDF waiting in the wings
to try.

LoveLoveLove Primo.

--
Lizard Gumbo
aka Elizabeth

http://www.effervescentdesigns.com
Blog: http://effervescentdesigns.com/effdesblog/

Pop the bubbles to reply.
Old March 14th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 3/13/07 3:43 PM, "Karen C - California" wrote:

ellice wrote:

you rarely hear MAC
folks complaining about software, interoperability, backwards compatibility,
etc.

True, but you DO regularly hear them complaining that software and
websites don't work on Mac.

Not actually much of an issue with websites at all. Especially now with the
machines that run either way. In all my years with MACs I've had about 3
websites - which were interactive applications - that wouldn't work. I have
had to switch browsers from Safari to Foxfire, or to Exploreer or Netscape.
That's just knowing to do that. In the last several years I've just now had
1 website - a job app - that wouldn't run on the MAC. Mostly it's just
going over to Netscape to do something.

Software - some specialty stuff - but for the vast majority of mainstream
stuff - it comes in both varieties. Clearly the MAC strongpoints are
reliability, ease of use - I seriously recommend them for people that are at
all intimidated about their computers (though most of our MAC friends are
indeed scientists and engineers, and just prefer them), and graphics.
Granted, you may be buying software via a MAC shopping place/web/catalog -
but that's not a big inconvenience. Not too much at COSTCO - so to speak.

XH bought a Mac to spite me, and, as they say, cut off his nose to spite
his face. That weekend, we went to a software store and he had a long
list of games he wanted to buy for his new computer. You got it -- not
a one of them was available in a Mac version. Needless to say, he
got no sympathy from me, since I had specifically told him to buy a PC.

Well, true about some of the games. There are those that are specifically
only PC. We have 1 friend whose idea of exercise is playing QUAKE - and he's
a web guy. So, he bought what we refer to as the POS Dell just for playing
his game - and all the other stuff is on one of the 3 MACs in their house.
There are a bunch of games for the MAC - again - I think people buy them
from the MAC suppliers rather than finding them in Best Buy, etc.

ellice

Old March 16th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

ellice wrote:

had to switch browsers from Safari to Foxfire, or to Exploreer or Netscape.

Speaking of Netscape, got any ideas why it would be crashing a *lot*
lately? Especially when I go into webshots. I get to 2 or 3 pages
and then, whomp! "Netscape has encountered and error and must close"
or something to that effect. It will be fine for 2 or 3 days, maybe
only crashing once, and then other times it's 5 or 6 times a day.
It's getting rather frustrating.

Joan