BOOK REVIEW: Beginner's Guide to Beadwork

Old October 24th 04, 04:08 AM
starlia

Default BOOK REVIEW: Beginner's Guide to Beadwork

I probably would have quit at the first sighting of that Iris. Thanks for
the review!

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
. giganews.com...
BOOK REVIEW: Beginner's Guide to Beadwork
By Madeleine Rollason
Search Press

I'm no beginnner to beadwork, but the photo on the front of this book
was so attractive that I bought it. Stupid reason, but the picture
sure didn't look like a beginner's project, and I was spending a gift
certificate from my Dad and Stepmom.

Well, it's really a good thing I'm not a beginner, and don't need
this book to teach me straight out. You know those "learn to draw"
books that tell you to break down your drawing to basic elements of
three trianges and a square, and then "add details," with the result
looking like a Da Vinci? This British book is a lot like that.

The first steps of each section show the very basics of each kind of
stitch, but the projects - whoo boy! The Peyote section, for
example, shows how to make a very simple strip of even count one
color peyote. The first project is equally simple, a strip of peyote
with a fringe. Ditto with the variation on that project, a little
ring. But turn the page, and there you have a pattern for a full
sized tapestry of an Iris, 50 beads wide, and heaven only knows how
many beads long.

The book tries to cover all of the history of beadwork as well as six
or seven stitches in 64 pages, and if you know what you're doing,
there are some nice designs. Otherwise, this is way too ambitious a
book for a beginner. A good read if you can get it from the library,
but I wouldn't spend the cover price of $15.95 for it.