most interesting quilt question

Old August 2nd 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Default most interesting quilt question

What is the most interesting denim and flannel raw edge quilt you've ever
made? Or seen. I need to make one sometime. It's been promised for years,
but I can't get motivated. Help?

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old August 2nd 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default most interesting denim quilt question

Howdy!

Many years ago I used denim and muslin to make a quilt for my dad,
in the "lap quilting" or "quilt as you go" style.
I drew and traced pictures on the muslin blocks of things that he
did, places he'd been, things he liked, embroidered them w/ DMC.
Used a very thin poly batt (that's all that was available at the time)
and backed each block w/ a denim square. Minimal quilting, by hand, of
course. g That sucker weighed a ton! He loved it.
Mind you, he was living in way-south Tx. then, always kept the quilt
on the end of their bed. g I always said he lived down there
because he liked to sweat. g
Next time I left out the poly batt. And the denim.

Ragmop/Sandy

Old August 2nd 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kellie J. Berger

had diff colors of denim (from light blue to dark blue to a purply
burgundy), wide ricrac and slapliqued flowers in courderoy and plaid
flannels on the back ... don't know that it was a pattern anywhere. It was
a show and tell at a quilting bee.

Old August 2nd 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd

I started one in flannel and just couldn't get into it so gave the pieces to
someone that likes to make them.

--
Mary
"Karen, Queen of Squishies" RisingStars @ KarenTucker.com wrote in message
: What is the most interesting denim and flannel raw edge quilt you've ever
: made? Or seen. I need to make one sometime. It's been promised for
years,
: but I can't get motivated. Help?
:
: Karen, Queen of Squishies
:
:

Old August 3rd 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
TerriLee in WA

Karen - my raggy denim (still a WIP because it's too hot to quilt denim &
flannel right now) can be seen in my webshots album. I used both blue &
black denim, and the backing is a mottled black/grey flannel (which you
can't see in the pics). It will be bound with strips of black denim, also
left raggy & tied with black crochet cotton.
--
TerriLee in WA (state)
remove the cats to reply

Old August 3rd 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
~KK in BC~

I still want to make one like this:

at a museum close by there is a denim and flannel quilt made up so that each
square of denim had the shape of a province here in Canada cut out. The
edges were not finished, the background fabric was flannel and the outer
edges were "ragged". The middle "picture" of the province was just snipped
out in the shape desired in the middle of the denim square and then just
sewed around the edges on top letting the raw edges fray naturally the way
denim does when it isnt finished with a hem.

In other words you take a square of denim, cut out the middle bit into the
shape you desire, back it with flannel and stitch around the opening leaving
the raw edges exposed in each middle of the block then put it together as a
regular raggy denim quilt.

Did that make ANY sense? hmm

~KK in BC~

Old August 3rd 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
~KK in BC~

try these for the idea that I was kinda going on about:

http://files.quiltknit.com/images/patterns/pt1785.jpg

http://www.butterbeanlane.com/images...acandlemat.jpg

http://www.sunflower.com/~bitsnpieces/gloryrags.jpg

or what about doing a raggy log cabin with thick logs? Those also look
fabulous!
~KK~

Old August 3rd 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 20:35:31 GMT, "Karen, Queen of Squishies"
RisingStars @ KarenTucker.com wrote:

What is the most interesting denim and flannel raw edge quilt you've ever
made? Or seen. I need to make one sometime. It's been promised for years,
but I can't get motivated. Help?

Karen, Queen of Squishies

I've made 3 or 4, and there are photos of 2 of them here, in the
"quilts" album: http://community.webshots.com/user/Jo_in_Scotland On
some I left the seams in, as usual, and on the one Sasha is helping me
with in the "quilts" album, I let them go raggedy. I think they would
have gone more raggedy if I had snipped more, or rubbed them with a
brush or something. I would advise snipping in 20 minute sessions,
and really resting in between. I did too much snipping before I had
spring-loaded shears and my right thumb went numb for about a week.
Scary.
Sasha doesn't like the one with the seams out - too lumpy to lie on.
I don't know if you are planning on making this for a cat person.
That's just Sasha's view about it. She much preferred the one I made
with flannel and lightweight denim (no batting) with a fleecy backing.
That was soft and cuddly without being too heavy, and since we are in
Scotland and it was for a student friend of mine, the extra warmth of
the fleece was spot on. What really motivated me with that one was
finding purple/white flannel plaid on sale (my friend Nikki's
favourite colour is purple) as well as a lovely dark purple fleece.
Maybe what you need to do is go shopping?
Hope some of this helps!

-- Jo in Scotland
Old August 3rd 06, 09:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Haven't made one, but my quilt buddy Chris has. She used her fancy
embroidery machine to do cool motifs on the denim squares reflecting the
family's interests. Not all the squares, just enough of them. Some of them
had pockets or other details left on.
Roberta in D

"Karen, Queen of Squishies" RisingStars @ KarenTucker.com schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:n08Ag.114229$1i1.17794@attbi_s72...

Old August 3rd 06, 12:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
D Curtis

I haven't made one like this, nor have I seen one anywhere, but when I
read your subject I thought a plain square patchwork with serged edges
on every block would be interesting. There are some great threads and
edge treatments you could investigate, from copying what jeans
manufacturers do on seam to rainbow variegated threads. I'm picturing
cutting large blocks of denim, running each thru the serger, then
joining the blocks with a standard machine. Both sides would look nice
without any further finishing. At least in theory.
Di
http://duet.etsy.com