OT (sort of) Flickr

Old February 20th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte

Default OT (sort of) Flickr

I've noticed that more and more people are using Flickr for their pictures.
Is it free (or has a free version) like webshots does? How easy is it to
upload pictures and change your photos? What do you like/dislike? Anything
else you care to share with someone thinking of setting up an account?

--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

Old February 21st 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jalynne

Flickr is indeed a free service. It is owned by Yahoo! and they have
pretty much finished converting over from Yahoo! Photos. I prefer it,
actually. Between that and Photobucket, where can get code for my
MySpace, Xanga and Facebook sites, and scrapbookpictures.com, where I
store all of my really good photos so I can order prints later on.

Jenn in Tacoma

Old February 21st 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

I've noticed that more and more people are using Flickr for their pictures.
Is it free (or has a free version) like webshots does? How easy is it to
upload pictures and change your photos? What do you like/dislike? Anything
else you care to share with someone thinking of setting up an account?

Nobody with an old browser can see anything on it. You're only able
to share with the wealthier 50% or so of net users.

Photobucket is much better at the viewer's end - particularly if you
just want to tell people about a single picture, as you can give a URL
that goes straight to it. That will be noticeably faster and less
bother for anybody.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old February 21st 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:44:06 -0600, "Charlotte"
wrote:

I've noticed that more and more people are using Flickr for their pictures.
Is it free (or has a free version) like webshots does? How easy is it to
upload pictures and change your photos? What do you like/dislike? Anything
else you care to share with someone thinking of setting up an account?

I've got pictures at both places and prefer Webshots. I started the
Flickr album because some rctq folks were having trouble using
Webshots, but few people actually go to look at my pictures there.

Flickr will only allow 200 photos free. Webshots, 3900.
Flickr only allows 3 albums free. Webshots, hundreds.
Flickr photo page layout leaves much to be desired, Webshots is
orderly and photos and/or albums are easily re-arranged.
Flickr has a monthly upload limit. Webshots doesn't.
Flickr evidently has no photo contests. Webshots does.
Flickr wants you to link photos to maps or join groups.
Flickr lists the popularity of your photos by an arbitrary
"interestingness" factor, Webshots by number of views.
I feel Flickr isn't as user friendly as Webshots.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/designsbydeb/
Old February 21st 08, 05:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marie Dodge[_2_]

"Charlotte" wrote in message
I've noticed that more and more people are using Flickr for their
pictures. Is it free (or has a free version) like webshots does? How easy
is it to upload pictures and change your photos? What do you
like/dislike? Anything else you care to share with someone thinking of
setting up an account?

My favorite is the free www.photobucket.com. Easy as pie to upload and
remove pics. I found Flickr very confusing.

Old February 21st 08, 01:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message

Nobody with an old browser can see anything on it. You're only able
to share with the wealthier 50% or so of net users.

I didn't know that. Glad I asked.

Photobucket is much better at the viewer's end - particularly if you
just want to tell people about a single picture, as you can give a URL
that goes straight to it. That will be noticeably faster and less
bother for anybody.

Haven't heard about that one. I'll have to check into it. Thanks.

Old February 21st 08, 01:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte

OK thanks Judie.

--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

"Judie in Penfield NY" wrote in message
Flickr was one of the choices that the were given to the people who were
using the yahoo photos website after they closed. I think it's free
subject to ordering a certain amount of prints or other merchandise.

Judie in Penfield NY

Old February 21st 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte

"Debra" wrote in message

I've got pictures at both places and prefer Webshots. I started the
Flickr album because some rctq folks were having trouble using
Webshots, but few people actually go to look at my pictures there.

This is kind of why I was thinking about switching.

Flickr will only allow 200 photos free. Webshots, 3900.
Flickr only allows 3 albums free. Webshots, hundreds.
Flickr photo page layout leaves much to be desired, Webshots is
orderly and photos and/or albums are easily re-arranged.
Flickr has a monthly upload limit. Webshots doesn't.
Flickr evidently has no photo contests. Webshots does.
Flickr wants you to link photos to maps or join groups.
Flickr lists the popularity of your photos by an arbitrary
"interestingness" factor, Webshots by number of views.
I feel Flickr isn't as user friendly as Webshots.

Wow. Thanks Debra!!!

Old February 21st 08, 02:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte

Default Photobucket Was OT (sort of) Flickr

Jack mentioned that one. I think I'll check them out. Anyone else have
good/bad things to say about photobucket?

--

"Marie Dodge" wrote in message

My favorite is the free www.photobucket.com. Easy as pie to upload and
remove pics. I found Flickr very confusing.

Sort of not OT -- what fun! Fran Quilting 0 March 11th 07 03:10 PM
flickr photos steve [email protected] Pottery 1 April 12th 06 02:30 PM
Flickr Advice hesira Yarn 9 March 18th 06 09:01 PM
AKK! Sort of OT... Kate Dicey Quilting 7 January 29th 06 07:11 PM
He He He Ha Ha Ha (Sort of OT) Flossy Quilting 5 May 1st 04 10:35 PM