Bernette 410 -- stitch length problems

Old August 31st 06, 06:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Phaedrine

Default Bernette 410 -- stitch length problems

In article ,
FragileWarrior wrote:

Phaedrine wrote in
.
com:

In article .com,
"AMM" wrote:

I have a Bernette (sp?) 410 sewing machine that we bought about 20
years ago reconditioned.

I'm fairly happy with it (especially when I look at what new
machines cost), except for one problem: it's not very good at
pulling the cloth through at a consistent rate.

This is a bottom of the line machine to start with. If it was
reconditioned 20 years ago (!), I can't imagine it has much life
left in it.

Tell that to my Featherweight workhorse.

Perhaps I missed something. Your remark has what to do with the OP's
Bernette?

--
I fear me you but warm the starved snake
Who, cherished in your breasts, will sting your hearts. (Henry VI,Shakespeare)
Old August 31st 06, 10:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate Dicey

Taria wrote:

We have our house on the market to sell right now Kate. My normal
sewing area is all broke down and my stuff is sort of all over
2 houses at this point. The other day I needed to sew so I got
the FW and the FW table out. It was my g'ma's and then mom's machine
and now mine so it is pretty special. It is such a treat to sew on.
Find something to piece!

I was just thinking that... James needs to get on with a zigzag
project, but I have one that is mostly straight seams and clean
finishing with the serger, so the FW may get an airing!

Bernette machines are pretty notorious for being inexpensive,
problematic machines. I wouldn't put much money into one.

It's such a shame, as it does the Bernina good name no favours. They
could easily buy in some good budget machines. I'm quite surprised that
a Bernette lasted 20 years!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old August 31st 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
nabokovsmuse

"Doreen" wrote in message
ink.net...
Betty Vereen Hill wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Use a hump-jumper on thick seams. Do NOT pull the fabric through, as
you will break needles, and likely throw the timing off.

Please excuse my ignorance. Just what is a hump-jumper? I've fought
with my share of thick seams, but I've never known that there might be
something that would alleviate the problem. My pitiful Singer 5050 pales
in comparison to the fabulous machines many of you command. I really
hate to admit it - I have pulled the fabric through when fighting with a
thick seam. Is there relief in my future?

Betty in Georgia

Betty,

A hump jumper (actually sold as a pair, one a little thicker than the
other) is, IMO, a necessity! The jean-a-ma-jig, which is thicker still,
is the perfect aid for hemming jeans.

There's a good explanation of how hump jumpers work at the first link; the
jean-a-ma-jig's basically the same principle.

http://www.thesewingplace.com/index....OD&ProdID=1038

http://www.amisimms.com/jeanamajig.html

Doreen in Alabama

Thanks so much, Doreen. You've come to my rescue again. I appreciate your
advice more than I can say.

Betty in Georgia

Old August 31st 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
AMM

Kate Dicey wrote:
Taria wrote:

Bernette machines are pretty notorious for being inexpensive,
problematic machines. I wouldn't put much money into one.

It's such a shame, as it does the Bernina good name no favours. They
could easily buy in some good budget machines. I'm quite surprised that
a Bernette lasted 20 years!

Well, even a cheap machine won't wear out very fast sitting in
the closet. I've used this machine more in the past 12 months
than in the previous 17 years that we owned it, and I only sew
a few hours a week at most now.

I did remove the plate and cleaned out all the lint in and around
the feed dogs. (There was a lot!) I hasn't help noticably.

How can you tell when the teeth on the feed dogs are worn?
Is it possible to buy replacements?

As far as foot pressure goes, there's a dial to control it, not
a nut like my mother's old Singer had (and no, I'm not talking
about the thread tensioner!) But it doesn't seem to make much
difference. That's even when I bang on the shaft that the pressure
foot is connected to, to make sure it hasn't hung up again (now *that*
problem is definitely a sign of poor construction!)

As far as getting a better machine: I'm open to suggestions, but
not willing to spend USD 900+.

I really don't want all those fancy features, just:

a. Zig-zag; maybe a hem stitch

b. A reverse stitch lever that *stays* in reverse until I reset it.

c. Reliable.

d. Maybe a selection of top plates, some with smaller slots.
(I have the problem now that lightweight fabric sometimes
gets pushed down into the slot.)

Unfortunately, the machines w/o the fancy features look like
cheap junk, and the expensive machines have features I don't
want (and still don't have good reverse stitch) and don't look
all that robust, either.

-- AMM

Old August 31st 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Ron Anderson

It is possible the feed dogs, with all that lint, that should have been
cleaned out by the repair shop has forced the feed dogs to a position lower
than optimum. The should rise above the needle plate 1 mm when the needle is
in the highest position. If they are not coming up far enough this would be
your problem. Again something a reputable repair shop would have corrected.
Not likely you could wear out feed dogs. If anyone could it would be Kate
and I doubt she has ever had a feed dog replaced unless it broke into
pieces.
And you T&S lovers I am not talking about the rubber ones.

--
Ron Anderson A1 Sewing Machine
PO Box 60, Sand Lake, NY 12153
"AMM" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old August 31st 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate Dicey

Ron Anderson wrote:

It is possible the feed dogs, with all that lint, that should have been
cleaned out by the repair shop has forced the feed dogs to a position lower
than optimum. The should rise above the needle plate 1 mm when the needle is
in the highest position. If they are not coming up far enough this would be
your problem. Again something a reputable repair shop would have corrected.
Not likely you could wear out feed dogs. If anyone could it would be Kate
and I doubt she has ever had a feed dog replaced unless it broke into
pieces.
And you T&S lovers I am not talking about the rubber ones.

Giggle

No, Ron, I have never yet worn out the feed dogs on a machine! I have
had a problem with similar symptoms a time or two:

First was with Auntie Mo Next Door's original brown 1950's Singer
machine. She'd never even considered the presser foot screw, but a few
moments of cleaning the fluff out, oiling, and screwing that knob down
cured that one!

Second was with one of my Elna Lotus machines: caused by thread wrapped
round the bobbin case and feed dogs! Kid's enthusiasm caused that, a
clean out and oiling cured it.

I thought I'd really screwed up with the last one - my Lily! Nope -
feed dogs were down and I'd forgotten... User error!

So do check, clean, and oil those feed dog bits, and make sure the feed
dogs are not down.
Old August 31st 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Phaedrine

In article . com,
"AMM" wrote:

Kate Dicey wrote:
Taria wrote:

Bernette machines are pretty notorious for being inexpensive,
problematic machines. I wouldn't put much money into one.

It's such a shame, as it does the Bernina good name no favours. They
could easily buy in some good budget machines. I'm quite surprised that
a Bernette lasted 20 years!

Well, even a cheap machine won't wear out very fast sitting in
the closet. I've used this machine more in the past 12 months
than in the previous 17 years that we owned it, and I only sew
a few hours a week at most now.

Has it been serviced and oiled? Sewing machine oil tends to get gummy
after a year or two according to my Bernina technician. Not sure that
would help the feed dog problem, however.

[...]
As far as getting a better machine: I'm open to suggestions, but
not willing to spend USD 900+.

You can get a really good used all/mostly mechanical, used free-arm
Bernina for under $900... maybe a 930 or one of the other older '30s.
But the computerized ones, starting with the 1530 IIRC, will run you
more. I just saw a used 1630 on the Yahoo BerninaThirtySomethings forum
for $1000.... a great deal on a 9 mm machine if you don't mind using a
trackball to move the cursor. If you look at 930s, be sure to get one
with the needle stop (up or down) since the earlier 930s do not have
that, and all the accessory feet. The feet can still be bought new btw
but they are expensive so that is why it is wise to be sure you get all
the standard feet (15 or so came standard with the 930 & 931).

I mention the 930 since it is considered one of the most reliable
Berninas ever. It will not stay in reverse on its own however; you have
to hold the lever. I suspect you'd need a newer machine for that but I
could be wrong. Real hemstitching is no easy task. Actually, the very
first dedicated hemstitching machine was the very first Bernina. My 931
does a fabulous emulation of hemstitching with wing needles. I also
have a single hole plate for my 931 but I honestly can't recall ever
having to use it--- though I'm sure I must have at least once or twice
in 20+ years. These machines do not typically jam on sheer fabrics if
you use correct size needles and have the machine serviced annually.

No doubt there are other solid used machines for that price range....
Elna perhaps. I just happen to know a lot about Berninas.

Old August 31st 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Taria

I'll never get rid of my 930. It is a dream of a machine.
It makes the nicest zz sitiches.
830's are great machines also and go used for a little less.
They are both tough models to find since people don't want
to give them up once they have them!
btw, mine is able to stay in reverse.
Taria

[...]

Old August 31st 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Sarah Dale

AMM wrote:

I did remove the plate and cleaned out all the lint in and around
the feed dogs. (There was a lot!) I hasn't help noticably.

As you've just had this machine serviced, I'd take it and the lint to
see the service technician, and ask just what did they do when servicing
the machine if they didn't bother to get all the lint out for you! And
ask for a full or partial refund.

Anyhow, glad my suggestion helped. Your machine should run better
without the lint in it!

Sarah

Old August 31st 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kay Lancaster

Use a hump-jumper on thick seams. Do NOT pull the fabric through, as
you will break needles, and likely throw the timing off.

Please excuse my ignorance. Just what is a hump-jumper? I've fought with
my share of thick seams, but I've never known that there might be something

A hump jumper is a plastic doo-dad that you put before or after (or before
and after) a sudden thick spot in a seam. It levels the presser foot and
allows the work to move much better.

Since I lose plastic doodads with great frequency (and sewing with a kitten
helping doesn't increase the odds that plastic doodads remain on the
sewing table), I tried Louise Cutting's method: find a piece of the garment
similar in weight to the thick spot, and use that as a hump jumper.
Works well for me.

Kay

Difference btw Spilt stitch and Chain stitch? silverbells Needlework 3 September 15th 05 08:28 PM
Cross Stitch for sale lisa Marketplace 0 June 8th 04 12:36 AM
Instant Stitch: PM Stitch Creator 2.0 - new ! TEL Needlework 0 January 27th 04 11:26 PM
Huge list of Cross Stitch Items for Sale Theresa Marketplace 0 August 30th 03 02:52 AM
Lost Stitches Russell Miller Needlework 22 August 3rd 03 06:08 AM