[Ganoksin] [Issue #138] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

Old September 30th 05, 11:20 PM
mbstevens

Default [Ganoksin] [Issue #138] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

Ganoksin wrote:

3=3D2E Comparing the Practical Application of Three Welding Systems
By Gary Dawson
=20
AJM Magazine asked me to perform a comparative analysis of three
welding systems performance in several different precious metal welding
applications. I was to analyze the PUK 2 spot welder, which was
developed by Lampert Tools USA Inc. and supplied to me by SEP Jewelry
Tools of Chicago; the Mini Pulse III from Aelectronic Bonding Inc.
(ABI) in Cranston, Rhode Island; and a laser welder. (I used my
Starweld by Rofin-Baasel, which I purchased from Manufacturing
Technologies in San Diego , but the results presented in this article
are accurate for most laser welders used in the jewelry industry.)...
=20
Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...plications.htm
=20

The image that goes with the article shows someone striking an arc with=20
what appears to be an ABI arc welder with a lot of bare skin exposed.=20
Every book I've read on welding lately gives a stern warning against=20
doing this, because the high UV coming from the arc can cause skin =
cancer.

I'm wondering if the very very tiny arc struck by these kinds of welders=20
make this warning unneeded for jewelry welding. I'm thinking that I=20
would at least want a pair of lightweight gloves, long sleeves -- and=20
also a full face shield with my neck covered if I planned to move my=20
face close to the arc.

The manufacturers' of these welders give away a little headband eye=20
filter with them, so obviously they _seem_ to think that this kind of=20
thing is unimportant.

Thoughts? Anybody actually gotten the specs from this kind of arc=20
welder and taken the time to do the math?
--=20
mbstevens
http://www.mbstevens.com/

Old September 30th 05, 11:25 PM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:19:52 -0700, in =06 mbstevens
wrote:

The image that goes with the article shows someone striking an arc with=

=20
what appears to be an ABI arc welder with a lot of bare skin exposed.=20
Every book I've read on welding lately gives a stern warning against=20
doing this, because the high UV coming from the arc can cause skin =

cancer.

I'm wondering if the very very tiny arc struck by these kinds of =

welders=20
make this warning unneeded for jewelry welding. I'm thinking that I=20
would at least want a pair of lightweight gloves, long sleeves -- and=20
also a full face shield with my neck covered if I planned to move my=20
face close to the arc.

The photo in that article, while nice for marketing, is somewhat =
misleading,
since it looks to the viewer like a continuous arc. it isn't. A spark =
is more
like it. These welders not only produce a very small weld arc, but it's =
a very
brief pulse, not a continuous arc weld such as you'd get with a TIG or =
MIG
welder or a typical full sized electrode arc welder. As such, these =
pulse arc
welders, though there is indeed UV in the light from them, don't present =
danger to exposed skin. You do need the eye protection, but don't bother
covering up skin with these. I mean, you're welcome to do so if you =
wish, but
it's not really necessary... =20

Peter
Old October 1st 05, 01:30 AM
mbstevens

Peter W.. Rowe, wrote:
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:19:52 -0700, in =06 mbstevens
wrote:
=20
[...]

present a
danger to exposed skin. You do need the eye protection, but don't =

bother
covering up skin with these. I mean, you're welcome to do so if you =

wish, but
it's not really necessary... =20
=20
Peter

OK!

I also wish that the article had brought in mcirotorches for comparison.
I'm quite happy with what mine does. I use Oxy/Acetylene, and it does a=20
lot of the stuff the miniarc welders are reputed to do -- I don't own=20
one, and havn't had a chance to actually compare. O/A is no good for=20
platinum, of course. Has anyone used both miniO/A and either minilaser=20
or miniarc for fusion?