Hand Piecing - What Stitch do you use

Old June 10th 05, 09:10 AM
Sally Swindells

Default Hand Piecing - What Stitch do you use

English hand piecing (eg hexagons with papers) - I know what I am
doing (a rare experience!)

Paper piecing - I use stitch and tear because it lends itself to hand
sewing and I use a backstitch because I feel I need the extra strength
because of tearing the paper away.

But what stitch does anyone use for ordinary straightforward piecing.
Is an ordinary little running stitch enough - or perhaps three and a
backstitch, or just backstitch.

I usually use my machine for piecing but I do enjoy handsewing,
especially in the evenings in a comfy chair..

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~
Old June 10th 05, 09:25 AM
M Rimmer

In message , Sally Swindells
writes
English hand piecing (eg hexagons with papers) - I know what I am
doing (a rare experience!)

Paper piecing - I use stitch and tear because it lends itself to hand
sewing and I use a backstitch because I feel I need the extra strength
because of tearing the paper away.

But what stitch does anyone use for ordinary straightforward piecing.
Is an ordinary little running stitch enough - or perhaps three and a
backstitch, or just backstitch.

Three running and a backstitch, for me. And I usually cut the pieces a
little larger than I need and trim to size after piecing, because my
handstitching line isn't as even as my machine, and a thread's width
here and there can play havoc with accuracy in a complicated block.

I usually use my machine for piecing but I do enjoy handsewing,
especially in the evenings in a comfy chair..

Me too. Also in the garden on a lounger on a sunny day. I have ants in
my pants - I can't sit still unless I have something to do.
--
M Rimmer

Old June 10th 05, 10:37 AM
Sally Swindells

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 09:25:57 +0100, M Rimmer
wrote:

In message , Sally Swindells
writes
[...]

That's a dream yet to come true - need a bit of sun for that - today
is overcast but the weeds are growing fast - ahh thats poetry! I was
given some 'well rotted compost' by a friend. Our sandy soil loved it
but it was full of weed seeds - just when I thought I was winning!

Have set myself a minimum of one hour/one flower bed per day, at least
I wont get sunburt today! Then I am allowed to sew! House clean -
whats that! House can't get worse - garden can!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~
Old June 10th 05, 01:10 PM
georg

Sally Swindells wrote:

English hand piecing (eg hexagons with papers) - I know what I am
doing (a rare experience!)

Paper piecing - I use stitch and tear because it lends itself to hand
sewing and I use a backstitch because I feel I need the extra strength
because of tearing the paper away.

But what stitch does anyone use for ordinary straightforward piecing.
Is an ordinary little running stitch enough - or perhaps three and a
backstitch, or just backstitch.

I use a simple running stitch with the occasional back stitch. I also
take really tiny stitches for this.

The Dear Jane is being done by hand, but I may give in and paperpiece
some of the triangles.

-georg
Old June 10th 05, 01:14 PM
Roberta Zollner

Start every needle load with a backstitch. I seem to average about 3 tiny
running stitches on the needle.
Roberta in D

"Sally Swindells" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...

Old June 10th 05, 03:47 PM
Marcella Peek

In article ,
Sally Swindells wrote:

But what stitch does anyone use for ordinary straightforward piecing.
Is an ordinary little running stitch enough - or perhaps three and a
backstitch, or just backstitch.

I usually use my machine for piecing but I do enjoy handsewing,
especially in the evenings in a comfy chair..

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

Running stitch with a backstitch every needleful - maybe every 6-7
stitches or so.

marcella

Old June 10th 05, 04:44 PM
Pati Cook

I just use a running stitch. With an occasional back stitch for
reinforcement if I think I need to. But I am usually hand piecing small
little things, like Dear Jane blocks or Quilted Diamonds, so the longest
seam is only about 4 inches. G I was taught to do a backstitch every
inch or inch and a half, but after trying to remove some of my own hand
stitching without the backstitch I decided it wasn't really necessary.
G (yes I take tiny stitches when I hand sew. Some people think it is
machine sewn.)

Pati, in Phx.

Old June 10th 05, 04:56 PM
Sally Swindells

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:10:41 +0000 (UTC), Sally Swindells
wrote:

English hand piecing (eg hexagons with papers) - I know what I am
doing (a rare experience!)

Paper piecing - I use stitch and tear because it lends itself to hand
sewing and I use a backstitch because I feel I need the extra strength
because of tearing the paper away.

But what stitch does anyone use for ordinary straightforward piecing.
Is an ordinary little running stitch enough - or perhaps three and a
backstitch, or just backstitch.

I usually use my machine for piecing but I do enjoy handsewing,
especially in the evenings in a comfy chair..

Thank you everyone - concensus seems to be three litle running and a
backstitch - so that's what I'll do! My stitches are always tiny -
even when I don't want them to be, so I'm alright on that count.

Have done my daily stint of gardening (and got wet - of course it
rained as soon as I opened the door!) so now I can sew! DH's turn to
cook too (Mondays and Friday evenings) so I don't have to stop apart
from eating.

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~
Old June 10th 05, 08:05 PM
Moira Riddell

In the few times I have handpieced, I used the method of 4 running stitches,
then one back stitch, it seemed to work well!!

Moira