Hem +Bead =neat

Old August 13th 04, 05:30 PM
Elaine Baeza

Default Hem +Bead =neat

(Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote in message ...
Jeanine 3 !!!
Did you ever hem with beads on an embroidered work ?
i have started doing this on certaim works ,, it is marvelous , you
can do part on the hem [`on` the cloth ] and part outside the cloth
mirjam

Dear Mirjam,

Please tell me more about this. I love beads. What kind of stitch do
you use? How are the beads arranged when you are done (what do they
look like)?

Elaine
Old August 14th 04, 04:49 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Good morning Elaine ,
Thank you for the interest ,
Since it is specific for each work i will explain to you about one or
two of them ,,,
One [ the first i did something like this] shows an Egyptian type of
Paronite time wall paintings] woman with a snake behind her back , i
than hemmed invisibly all around sides and top. But on the down side i
worked a hem leaving pulled out strands hanging free, than i cut this
fringe into `steps` /didvide length into uneven nimber of fringe
groups/ cut every second group short half length of threads, this
will make 2 long fringes at both sided , now i took a needle with
thread anchored it behind first long fringe, stringed 3 beads , put
needle behind 2nd long fringe, and pulled the threads so that the bead
hung at the same line as the edge of the long fringe.... did this all
along the under edge ,,, than i used same beads ,,, to sew the odd
bead here and there around the the invisble hem ibside the cloth
[where hem was stiched to cloth a 1/2 cm inside on cloth.
After looking loong at this , i slowly did my way into beads and
stiches in uneven ways on other works ,,,not intentionally , but as
work `told` me .
in another work i made for a friend , i combined many images related
to her life , and work ,,, than i finished the work , completely
uneven shall we say? as if leaves were protruding to every side... now
part of this protruding parts i seed beades all around ,, thus you
have this protusion of cloth, than i took a coloured sewing thread and
sewed the beads all around this and anchor the thread. thebeads border
the protrusion from outside,,, next protrusion has no beads , but is
embroidered neatly to the edge with some embroidery, but some beads
sort of `dripped` here and there between the stichery ,,, next
protrusion , had some beads around it ,[ 3-5] than others `dripped
into the clothitself than some again were stiched around the edge ,,
some dripping into the cloth ,,,, etc.... now you have to think about
the laws of gravity and from time to time you can make little cahins
of beads that `fall` down from the outer edge and hang downwards, the
more lower they are on the work the longer you might do them ... so
that they might be almost part an `under bead fringe` that `climbed
up`
i hope this gave you some idea... some works have fringes of beads and
ribbons only part of the underside , sometimes underside is cut
diagonal and hanging beads appear either from the long side or the
shorter,,
It all depends at what you want to tell /show every sttich bead seam
is part of general look , i might hem part invoisible part withstiches
, part with ribbons ... one big work i sewed sides in a `wave like`
side seams. I apologize for not having any `recipe` for you ,, the
work itself and your Gut feeling should tell you were and how to do
it. Edges for me are not the end of the work but an essential part of
it. sometimes i make `tears` [ both torn and the watery kind ] at one
of the edges, sometimes one sides is `traditional` neatly hemmed and
the other braided or knotted .

Old August 16th 04, 01:36 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Elaine i do not know if my answer helped you at all ??
mirjam

Old August 17th 04, 07:55 PM
Sue in NJ

Mirjam,

This sounds stunning! Do you have a picture posted somewhere so all
of us can go take a look? Very creative!

SueH
in NJ
Old August 19th 04, 04:32 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Thank you SUE ,,
i don`t think i have any photos of those works on the net ,,, the
`craft one` were given away as presents and the `art` ones i never
show on the net before they were shown in exhibitions some galleries
and museums object .
mirjam