The Cross Stitcher rant

Old June 28th 04, 06:49 PM
Rhiannon

Default The Cross Stitcher rant

Is it just me or is the proofing for this magazine getting even worse?
I just received the August issue today. The first chart I look at (A
Friend Speaks The Language Of The Heart) has glaring errors of omission
and makes some bold assumptions about the stitcher. The design shows
the word "friend" in about a dozen languages. Just at a quick glance I
can tell they have left at least two colors out of the backstitching
instructions, mislabeled one, and given meaningless instructions for
some others. According to the instructions one color is used to
backstitch "Philos". Hmmm, "Philos" does not appear on the chart in the
Roman/Latin alphabet; it is in Greek as it should be. While I know it
is a Greek word and know what Greek letters look like, how many other
readers would identify it? Then there are the words done entirely in
backstitch--the directions give the color and say which language it is
for (Hindu, Chinese, Japanese, Hebrew), but there is no legend to tell
you which language appears in which place on the chart. Sure, one could
try to analyze the small color picture on the previous page to guess
which is which but that is bad advice for those with failing vision or
who happen to be color blind. This should be an easy chart, but
problems like this make it almost useless. This mag. has to run
corrections in almost every issue because they just aren't very careful;
they have made many egregious errors. The editor's column at the front
of the magazine talks about how totally disorganized her office is and
that she is somewhat computer-phobic. I'm not sure it is worth looking
through the rest of the magazine since I'll either have to figure
problems out on my own or wait several months to see if they have
printed corrections!

--
Brenda
"Nothing...I got nothing for sale."

Old June 28th 04, 08:54 PM
Cheryl Isaak

I don't like The Cross Stitcher - so many of the designs are a bit too twee
for me - cutesy and overly sentimental.
I have gotten a chuckle out the "Floss-itute" - I've read it in the book
store.

Cheryl

Old June 28th 04, 09:44 PM
Karen C - California

In article , Rhiannon
writes:

The editor's column at the front
of the magazine talks about how totally disorganized her office is

Which is why the magazine itself is disorganized!

--
Finished 5/21/04 - Fireman's Wife
WIP: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler,

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old June 29th 04, 02:32 AM
gundoc

it's way too "cutesy" for me - it's not for me.
Marcie

Old June 29th 04, 04:07 AM
Caryn

said

"Rhiannon" wrote:

[...]

It's hard to believe this is the same magazine that ran the Joan Elliot angel
series just a few years ago.

The quality of designs has gone downhill, I hadn't noticed the chart errors
because I never got past the boring designs.

I can't remember the last time either The Cross Stitcher or Just Cross Stitch
had anything in them I was even remoted interested in ever stitching.

Caryn

Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old June 29th 04, 05:29 AM
Rachel Janzen

Rhiannon wrote:

Is it just me or is the proofing for this magazine getting even worse? I
just received the August issue today.

Does this issue have the winners of the Christmas ornament coontest they
run?

Rachel

Old June 29th 04, 05:45 AM
Jenn Liace

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 04:29:16 GMT, Rachel Janzen
wrote:

Does this issue have the winners of the Christmas ornament coontest they
run?

Yes it does. Grand prize went to a "Baby's First Christmas" ornament
that's kind of cute, the second and third place don't really appeal to
me.

I'm not very impressed with TCS since their change in staff, either,
and don't plan to renew my subscription. The patterns don't grab my
attention, the sheer number of corrections is frightening - especially
as I don't have the time to go back and mark in prior issues that
there are corrections to be referenced - and the features aren't
interesting anymore.

Jenn L.
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
http://sewu9corn.blogspot.com
Old June 29th 04, 01:10 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Lots of snippage!

It's hard to believe this is the same magazine that ran the Joan Elliot angel
series just a few years ago.

The quality of designs has gone downhill, I hadn't noticed the chart errors
because I never got past the boring designs.

I can't remember the last time either The Cross Stitcher or Just Cross Stitch
had anything in them I was even remoted interested in ever stitching.

Caryn

I like Just Cross Stitch's Wedding Herb series, I may stitch those some time
soon.

Stitcher's World has had some good stuff recently, but I am worried about
the change in ownership/editorial staff.

Cheryl

Old June 30th 04, 12:04 AM
Rachel Janzen

wrote:

Does this issue have the winners of the Christmas ornament coontest they
run?

Yes it does. Grand prize went to a "Baby's First Christmas" ornament
that's kind of cute, the second and third place don't really appeal to
me.

Jenn L.
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
http://sewu9corn.blogspot.com
Pastel Horse baby book cover (Cross Stitcher 1993)
UFO's:
Lady Scarlet's Journey (Just Nan)
Lady of the Flag (MIrabilia)

Well, I guess I will be going out and buying The Cross Stitcher, because
the grand prize winner is my cross stitch buddy. I've known since May
that she won, so I'm excited to see her stuff in print. I also know who
the baby in the picture is, but I've been sworn to secrecy. :-) Gotta
run and count my pennies and shopping I will go.

Rachel

Old June 30th 04, 12:06 AM
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

[...]