Chemistry basics for potters?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 9th 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles_

Default Chemistry basics for potters?

"DKat" wrote in message
The first thing I would have recommended you do is to go to these sites
and

- snip loooong list of wonderful links and suggestions -

While I really like this room it is for the most part relatively quiet
(one of the reasons I like it). I think you would do better posting your
questions in the other room. They have first class support there who
check in regularly.

I also appreciate this room because it is quiet. As you might have noticed,
I don't stop in very often these days, so the fewer things to catch up with,
the better. Also, because it is a newsgroup, I can mark threads to ignore or
follow, and I can view only new posts. That way, it is wayyyy simpler to get
caught up with what interests me.

P.S. I checked the site where you get your glaze and clay and still have
not been able to figure out what is what. They are not going to share the
recipe of their glazes however so there is no way to help with the
chemistry of your glazes. It would be good to know if you are underfiring
your glaze but I can't find it from what you gave us. As I said however,
any commercial glaze should not be giving you this problem if you are
firing to the correct temperature.

I am firing the glazes to the temperature ranges required by the
manufacturer, so the problem doesn't lie there. I've added a little "ps" to
my bubbling post, as I had a thought that aluminium might cause the
problem - or at least make it worse.

I have also talked with my clay/glaze supplier, and have tried his
suggestions without luck. But I had a couple of pots a couple of years ago
that also bubbled badly - and he refired them at a slightly higher
temperature and they turned out wayyyy better. I try the same here, and I
have no luck - so it could also be something with my kiln - maybe it is too
small so that the circulation is bad? I dunno. I'm running out of ideas and
getting more and more pretty pieces that are impossible to use :-(

Hope you are well from that flu you had and happily jumping around doing
your things again!

Marianne

Back to basics Marion Pearcey Machine Knit 4 May 22nd 05 05:00 PM
Beading Basics [email protected] Needlework 5 April 21st 05 03:07 PM
ash glaze chemistry ? Beowulf Pottery 7 March 17th 04 06:36 PM
AD: Taos Tesserae and Strange Glow/Experiments in Chemistry Susan B. Beads 7 November 21st 03 08:52 PM
elma ox-hydrogen chemistry ? ilaboo Jewelry 3 October 28th 03 04:43 AM