Chicago, Paducah, SLC 2

Old June 11th 05, 03:23 AM
shhdesigns

Default Chicago, Paducah, SLC 2

The next morning we stopped at the Dakota Quilt Company in Spearfish. They
have lots of country fabrics and some lovely gift items in a converted
house. They have very pleasant staff; they also have a long arm-quilting
machine. They gave us info on heading down the Spearfish Canyon towards
Keystone. The drive through the canyon was very peaceful and beautiful.

In Keystone we walked around a bit and then drove to Mount Rushmore, it is a
very impressive sight to turn the curve and suddenly see 4 presidents
peering down at you. Those 4 on the mountain are Washington Jefferson,
Roosevelt, and Lincoln. We walked up to the amphitheatre and then towards
the base and looked upwards.

Back up to I-90 and a brief stop at Wall Drug. If you never been there it
is quite the collection of stores. They hand out a map so you don't get
lost. All across I-90 you see signs advertising Wall Drug and "free ice
water."

We went down through the Badlands loop, it is always amazing. At one
viewpoint it was so clear you could see the Eagle's Nest Butte about 35
miles away. The formations that you see range go from yellow through red to
brown. Check out http://www.byways.org/browse/byways/16436/photos.html for
a slide show. This route will take some time to enjoy if you decide to
cruise down it and explore it thoroughly.

We saw a colony of prairie dogs and some Big Horn Rams as we drove through
the park. I hope my pictures of the rams turn out. They were silhouetted
against the mountain. The ewes were off somewhere birthing according to the
ranger I spoke to.

We spent the night in Kodaka South Dakota. The next day we drove to Rapid
City and found the Thimble Cottage by pure accident. It is an old house
converted into a shop. A very popular concept I've found in the U.S. for
quilt shops. They had some great red work pieces. They were kind enough to
give us directions the Quilt Connections Etc further down the same road.
They have lots of great quilts on display. Two of the quilts were by Cut
Loose and there were two of poppies that were three-dimensional.

We woke up to rain during the night but it was almost stopped by the time we
packed the car. We crossed over into the Central Time Zone and found an
antique mall. I found an interesting quilt block made of a black and white
small check with a pink background. It looks like 4 birds flying towards
the middle. It is based on a lone star style block, but the diamonds are
different sizes. I think it's called doves in the window.

In Mitchell, Iowa we stopped and checked out the Corn Palace. See some
pictures of it at http://roadsidephotos.com/sd/sd3.htm

On Main Street we checked out a cute shop called Pin Cushion Quilt Shop.

Onto Sioux Falls S.D. and Heirloom Creations Quilt Shop, they have some nice
fabrics and interesting samples. We went down I-29S to the Welcome Centre
and found an ad for My Quilt Shop in the Ladies Rest Room! Gotta check them
out. Nice shops, the salesgirl was a bit ditzy. Not all that helpful. We
saw another round barn that was used as part of the 1880's set for Dances
with Wolves. Around Sioux Falls we saw another Buffalo Farm.

Woke up in Missouri Valley to sunny skies. We stopped in Walnut Iowa; they
bill themselves as Antique City. We walked through several of them that
were open but didn't find any treasures to take home with us. They have two
quilt shops in town, one is D.R.'s Kalico Crafts, and most of her fabrics
are priced at $4.99. Up the street we found Don's Antiques and Antique City
Quilters. They also do machine quilting. It is a small shop upstairs with
antiques in the bottom of the house.

We crossed over to Elk Horn and found Prairie Star Quilts. They have a lot
of country colours, about 90% of the shop leaving only 10% to brights. At
Fiberworks I bought a needle punch gadget and at Prairie Star I found a
pumpkin and moon patter to try it out on. They had a quilt show in the
restroom that they called "Ladies of the Lou." Their staff is very helpful.

Elk Horn has a windmill that has a more onion shaped dome on the top than
the ones associated with Holland. They have a large Danish community. We
found out that Fons and Porter have a shop in Winterset, so we headed back
down south, first to Greenfield and Fabric Creations. They have a back room
where the Aunt Gracie's were $4.00 or less! I found a cute blue and white
polka dot fabric to bind my Aunt Gracie's miniature Dresden Plate quilt that
I'm finishing hand quilting.

We had a nice lunch at a local place called Nodaway's; they have been there
for many years.

In Winterset we found John Wayne's birthplace. Then we went to the main
square and found Fons and Porter Love of Quilting shop. They have a lot of
kits and do their mail order in the back of the shop. Liz Porter's daughter
was in the shop and when I asked for a business card, she gave me one of her
mom's. They also gave me one of their calendars when I purchased some
fabric!

We drove around and saw two of the seven covered bridges in the area. The
Cedar Bridge was built in 1883 and rebuilt in 2004 and the Hogback Bridge
dates back to 1884, you can't drive over that one, but you can drive over
the Cedar Bridge.

We crossed over the Mississippi at Rock Island and tried calling my aunt but
the pay phone wouldn't let us make a long distance call. So onto the toll
way and we headed to St. Charles.

In Batavia I found a little French restaurant and the hostess let me phone
my aunt and let her know we'd arrive shortly. The hostess drew a map, and
my aunt also gave me directions and we arrived shortly after 8 p.m. on our
fifth driving day.

The next morning my aunt had an appointment, so mom and I enjoyed not having
to pack up the car and get on the road.

When Auntie Pat and Terry got home we off to the Blue Goose Marked and had
Brats, fried pork sandwiches and hot dogs for lunch. We drove around St.
Charles and saw some of the lovely homes and sights. We checked out the new
Crate and Barrel. At home we had a lovely chicken dinner. After dinner we
saw the DVD of Terry reading a children's book for the Baseball Hall of
Fame. Terry played ball for the All American Girls Baseball league. Here
is their website http://www.aagpbl.org/ She is a member of both the American
and Canadian Baseball Halls of Fame! When she came to visit me two years
ago she gave me one of her baseball card with it autographed!

The next day the ladies graciously took me to two quilt shops in the area.
One in Batavia called QBU Prairie Shop Inc. [Quilt Books Unlimited]. They
have some great samples and also have a bead shop in it. Their staff were
very helpful, they gave us directions to another shop and told us that a
third one was no longer open.

The second shop was in Geneva and is called Windmill City Quilts. They have
a great sale centre upstairs. The shop that closed was called The Quilted
Fox in Geneva.

Back to the house and we walked downtown and had some great sandwiches and
chili at Smitty's on the Corner. Then we walked over to the Fine Arts Sale
along the Fox River. Then we walked back down the river and saw the huge
bronze statue of a Potawatomi Indian.

It has a lovely inscription on the bottom that mom took a photo of.

We walked over the Fox River and toured the historic Baker Hotel and then
walked farther along the main street to check out 3 antique markets. I
found a cute turquoise casserole with a pink lid for $5.00!

The next day we did chores of laundry, I finished my mini Dresden Plate hand
quilting. And then did some shopping. Had a nice dinner at Sweet Tomato, it's
a salad buffet and played cards for the evening.

Memorial day we went down and saw the rebuilding of a huge pavilion along
the river and had some friends over for dinner and played more cards.
Tomorrow we head into Chicago for a bit of sight seeing.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.
Queen of the Travelogues

Old June 11th 05, 05:26 PM
Sandy Foster

It truly amazes me how much you manage to squeeze into a day, Sandi! And
you not only get lots in, but you enjoy every minute.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old June 11th 05, 06:07 PM
shhdesigns

We definitely enjoy every minute, even when we take the occasional wrong
turn and have to double back. Fortunately not for too long most times.
LOL
Sandi

Old June 12th 05, 12:07 AM
Susan Laity Price

I am so sorry that your trip to St. Charles was at the same time as my
son's surgery. I live about 10 miles from St. Charles and frequent
both shops you visited. (By the way, the Windmill City shop is in St.
Charles, not Geneva.) You missed several other very large stores in
the area. Hopefully I will be available during your next visit and we
can visit at least ten quilt shops in the Chicago area. If you could
plan your trip to be in the area the first Sunday of the month you
would enjoy the Kane County Flea Market. It is huge! It meets at the
fair grounds year around but is much larger April until October. Only
crazy people go to an open air flea market in Chicago during the
winter.

Susan Price

Old June 12th 05, 12:10 AM
shhdesigns

Thanks Susan

My aunts mentioned about the flea market. As they are both close to 80 and
my mom just turned 80 I didn't want to push my luck too much.

It may be sometime before I get to Chicago again, but will keep you in mind
when I come. I didn't contact anyone in the ng along the way this time.

They borders around Geneva and St. Charles are so soft I didn't realize I
had moved from one town to the other, and didn't refer to the business card
I picked up. I correct my journal with the St. Charles information, many
thanks.

Old June 12th 05, 12:28 AM
maryd

I love reading about your travels, Sandi.

Isn't the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD?

--
Mary
:

Old June 12th 05, 01:47 AM
maryd

I knew only because I had dear friends that lived there at one time.

--
: You are correct, don't know why I put Iowa. My apologies to South
Dakotans.
:
: --
: Sandi in New Westminster B.C.
: Queen of the Travelogues
: www.shh.apparitiondesigns.com
: ...
: http://community.webshots.com/user/mardor1948
: "shhdesigns" wrote in message
: news:GWrqe.1645604$8l.1521813@pd7tw1no...
: :

Old June 12th 05, 02:17 AM
shhdesigns

I just found the flyer for Windmill city Quilts, it is Batavia, we were both
incorrect. Thank goodness for asking for business cards and class lists!

Old June 12th 05, 03:12 PM
Susan Laity Price

I know it is Batavia. Don't know why I said something else. Thanks for
correcting my information.

Susan