Hand Piecing - What Stitch do you use

Old June 11th 05, 06:00 AM
Listpig

Pretty much. A needle-load of straight stitch, then backstitch.

--pig

On 6/10/05 03:10, in article ,
"Sally Swindells" wrote:

or perhaps three and a
backstitch, or just backstitch.

Old June 11th 05, 07:17 AM
DrQuilter

this is interesting. I learnt how to sew from my mom, who learnt from
the nuns in spain, and she taught me to backstitch every stitch!

I had a hard time believing a running stitch was strong enough first
time I saw hand pieced stuff.

Now you guys tell me you backstitch every few stitches???

Pati Cook wrote:

I just use a running stitch. With an occasional back stitch for
reinforcement if I think I need to. But I am usually hand piecing small
little things, like Dear Jane blocks or Quilted Diamonds, so the longest
seam is only about 4 inches. G I was taught to do a backstitch every
inch or inch and a half, but after trying to remove some of my own hand
stitching without the backstitch I decided it wasn't really necessary.
G (yes I take tiny stitches when I hand sew. Some people think it is
machine sewn.)

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old June 11th 05, 08:32 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
That's right, every 3 or 4 steps forward, one step back. g
Let's see...the oldest quilt of my own making still here is ...
almost 30 yrs. old, hand pieced, and not a stitch loose.
When I received a hand pieced quilt from my mother (she and her
aunts and mother pieced it, the blue Broken Star which came to
me for handquilting and now lives w/ my mother g), I was
surprised and delighted to see we all pieced pretty much the same way;
I'm self-taught, never saw them piecing or quilting.
There's that back stitch every inch or so.
You're young; you can change the stitch method if you want. G

Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy

Old June 12th 05, 04:15 AM
SNIGDIBBLY

My granddaddys shirts and granny petes aprons show backstitching every
stitch. Must have been made before she got her treadle. I think the more
sturdy you needed them the more apt they were to be back stitched. Flat
felt seams were appliqued down on the right side of the garment though.
Clothing took a lot of wear and tear and had to be made extra durable. Even
washing (on a rub board) and soap was hard on fabric back in their time.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Listpig" wrote in message
I think the key to not having it come apart is to make sure you take small
enough stitches---a galloping running stitch isn't going to hold, if your
stitches look like you can't quite make up your mind if you're sewing or
basting.

I can't imagine backstitching every stitch *unless* perhaps I were sewing
clothing seams by hand that would take stress.

--pig