Chicago, Paducah, SLC 5

Old June 11th 05, 08:55 PM
shhdesigns

Default Chicago, Paducah, SLC 5

On the weather report last night they said that some areas of Salt Lake City
[SLC] had up to one inch of rain! They also predicted more rain for today.
Great, mom and I had left our shoes in the car and were only wearing
sandals. A quick dash to the car, lots of wind, not any rain yet to get
additional coats and sweaters. It was only 35F! We had breakfast, loaded
up the car before the rain settled in.

Driving up to Sandy the rain wasn't too bad. Got out and first went into
their extension shop that has needlework and juvenile fabrics. They call it
Quilts Etc. Etc. and the needlework portion is called The Handmaiden. I
found two pieces to compliment two I purchased last year. They are
needlework pieces for the four seasons that have bead embellishments.
Across the street to Quilts, Quilts, Quilts, Etc. and found a cute appliqué
apron BOM that one of the local quilters designed. Got the pattern, I'll
use some my Aunt Gracie fabrics to make it.

Just around the corner we went to an antique shops, but nothing wanted to
come home with us. Back onto I-15 and the skies started to open up. It
rained so hard I thought I was in a shower. It was much worse than any
heavy rainy day in November in Vancouver. Remember, we had about 4-5 lanes
of highway heading each direction. As we neared Brigham City we could see
the clouds raising and that there was snow almost down to the base of the
surrounding mountains.

In Brigham City we went off to find Village Dry Goods, they had moved last
year and we missed them. A nice little shop, lots of country colours, the
salesgirl made a recommendation that we have the salad bar at Idle Isle Café
just up the street. It is the 3rd oldest restaurant in Utah. It has its
original booths, high ceilings and a player piano! The salad bar was good;
I recommend you try it if you visit.

Back on the road again and thank goodness the weather improved as we neared
the Idaho border and Snowville did not live up to its name. We went to the
Gathering Place in Rupert and for a change we felt welcomed. The past two
visits they had been quite nasty to us and this was the last chance.

They had just had a shop hop and we got their booklet. They used a mountain
sheep as a logo carrying fabric in a basket in its mouth.

Back along I-84 and we dropped into Twin Falls. We went to Stitching Time,
nice shop and across the street is Tiffany Square. It is crammed with scrap
booking, needlework, brass stencils. You name it and she probably has it.

We went back on the road and slept in Boise. The next morning we bypassed
the quilt shops in town; we checked them out last year.

We crossed over back into Pacific Time and drove into Baker City to Kountry
Kwilters. Their blinds were drawn, so we found a Thrift store to spend some
time. Found a wonderful collection of glass snack trays with cups. Mom and
I each bought a few. The salesgirl was kind enough to phone KK and found
they had disconnected their phone. Last year the business was for sale. We
found an ad saying they would be at a quilt show in September, but I guess
she has closed the store.

On to Pendleton where we found The Store, they support individuals with
disabilities with a work opportunity. She has pieced and cheater quilts
along with woven rugs, rag rugs, coasters that these individuals make for
the shop. Her fabrics are all about $6.00 a yard. Down the block we found
Main Street Diner; a fifties style diner with high ceilings, movie posters
and ceiling fans. Great lunches can be obtained here.

Around the corner is Pendleton Quiltworks; they were having a shop hop
called Sage Brush Scramble Debut. They have 11 stores participating.
Several we had already missed, some were farther east in Oregon. I did win
a door prize when I asked the eight ball for a prize. It is an appliqué
heart quilt.

On I-82 and onto Hermiston we went into Aunty Ida's Country Loveable and
Quilt Shop. She is a Canadian from the Surrey area and her husband helps
out in the store. They offered a door prize to everyone; mom and I got
tomato pincushions. She had a lovely maple leaf appliqué table runner; but
it was only available as a kit. We by-passed Pieceable Dry Goods in
Kennewick, they were just so rude that first time I've not gone back. When
I've spoken with other shops in the area I found it wasn't unusual
behaviour. They have such a narrow range of country and reproduction
fabrics that you have to like that style to frequent the store on a regular
basis.

In Richland we went back to Village Quilts, they gave us the information on
their September shop hop.

In Prosser we drove up to The Sewing Basket to find a big open sign beside
the door with the door wide open. Inside we could see the owner busy
packing up boxes. They are having a quilt show in Yakima on the weekend and
she was getting ready to set things up on Thursday. What a delightful shop,
she has converted a house [once again] and had just about every nook and
cranny filled with bolts or half bolts of fabric. Her fabrics are very
affordable, I found two black and white fabrics for $3.90 a yard. She also
has the Quilted Country Inn that she does quilting retreats at. On her
business card it read she was 2004 Prosser Small Business of the Year, she
told us that she is closed on Sunday, but if she is in the yard doing
gardening and you pull up, she will open the store. That's definitely a
good businesswoman.

We spent the night in Union Gap and the next morning found 3 quilt shops in
Yakima. The first one is Sunbonnet Sue Quilt Shop; they are not on the shop
hop in September, they opened last July and are still growing. They have a
long arm quilt machine in the shop. Up the block and around the corner we
found The Bernina Sewing Centre and Jailhouse Fabrics. They have a lot of
Heartland figurines and a great fabric selection we met Beth Garretson who
wrote No Sweat Flannel Quilts for That Patchwork Place. She was born in
Everett and moved to Yakima, she used to come up the Vancouver as a teenager
and has fond memories of visiting here. She is a very delightful lady.

Next stop was The Threaded Needle Quilt and Yarn Store. What a great shop,
lots of different fabrics along with knitting yarn and DMC cottons. Right
next door to a Starbucks!

On the road to Ellensburg we found an Antique and Fruit Market. Last year I
found a great hard plastic sewing box here, but when we looked around we
realized it was a different market. It is part of the same family, just a
different location. He built the one in Thorp for his parents and now his
brother runs it. In Ellensburg we found Sew Much More, again a nice little
shop with some great samples. They have some nice antique shops in the Main
Street area.

We drove along I-90 and in Thorp we went back to the Antique and Fruit
Market. It has a main floor for fruits and vegetables and then two floors
of antiques above. I went to the top floor first, and I was very glad as it
is quite warm/hot up there. Back down on the second floor mom and I looked
around and I don't believe it. For more than 15 years every antique shop we
go into that has sheet music, mom looks for a piece called Fairy Barque.
SHE FOUND IT!!! I thought she was going to faint, I almost fainted, even
better it was 50% off, but didn't have a price. We walked around and I
found a turquoise melon baler and went to find out the price of the music.
Can you believe the final price was fifty cents! She has the piece from her
childhood, but it only has the first 3 pages and the last one. Now she has
the complete piece to learn again!

Back on the road, we stopped in Cle Elum for lunch and looked in an antique
shop. Then back along I-90 up to Seattle. We waved at Donna and John in
Bellevue, and then I wished we had gone for a visit, we were stopped on the
exit to I-405 before about 5 minutes. Finally traffic started to flow again
and in no time we were on I-5 and heading north to Vancouver.

In Bellingham we picked up milk, butter and eggs and headed to the border.
The border guard asked how long we'd be away and if we brought anything
back? Yes, the value, I told him and he wished us a safe drive home.

Our final mileage was just about 9,700 km. Away for 19 days, driving 15 of
those, 16 different states. You can count up how many quilt shops and
antique shops. If you'd like any more information, please ask and I'll send
it on to you if I can access it.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.
Queen of the Travelogues

Old June 11th 05, 10:10 PM
Sandy Foster

And have your legs stretched out again yet after being cooped up in the
car for so long? g Your adventure sounded wonderful, Sandi! Thanks so
much for sharing it with us.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old June 11th 05, 10:33 PM
shhdesigns

Thanks Sandy

In fact today I'm not going out of the condo. I've
decided to re-acquaint myself with my home and do some housework for a
change. Have washed all the glassware and kitchen goodies I collected on
the trip, just have to find someplace to showcase some of it and store the
rest.

It's good to be sleeping back in your own bed. My flowers have grown while
I was gone. Time to enjoy the deck with the summer coming on.

Cheers,--

Old June 12th 05, 12:47 AM
Marcella Peek

These have been so much fun to read. I am pooped though, and I didn't
do all that driving and shopping! You and your mom must be hard to keep
up with.

Glad you had such a nice trip.

marcella
Old June 12th 05, 01:44 AM
shhdesigns

thanks Marcella, mom said it gave her another reason for living and renewed
her spirit on our last stretch before coming home.
Amazingly I'm not all that tired, I guess having those quilt shop and
antique stores to check out keep the energy up.

Old June 12th 05, 02:23 AM
joysjane

I have been to the Quilt, Etc and the extension across the street in SLC and
found that store(s) to be absolutely wonderful - made two trips there.

Also have been to the store in Rupert and Twin Falls (on the shop hop they
just had), they were really nice too.

Thanks for sharing your adventures!

joysjane

Old June 12th 05, 03:05 AM
shhdesigns

my pleasure joysjane,
it's always fun to share different quilt shops with friends. who knows when
someone might be heading in that direction.
I have a friend doing a trip with her husband in the late summer early fall
and she will be heading down some of the same roads.