Posted to another n/g - reposted here.. Help with tensions please

Old May 5th 04, 10:02 PM
AmazeR

Default Posted to another n/g - reposted here.. Help with tensions please

When I adjust the bobbin tension to the instruction manual on my Bernina
1000 the top tension has to be set at 9 on the dial in order to sew
normally. Normal top tension setting is 5. How do I reset the top
tension so that it is set on 5 for normal sewing?

Background information: I recently purchased this machine and had it
thoroughly overhauled. When I got it back the top tension was set on 5 (I
noticed that the tension disc was 'sloppy') and the bobbin tension was set
extremely loose - like ridiculous! When I tried to hold the thread in a
full bobbin inside the bobbin case, it had no tension to it at all...

I have checked for lint etc in the bobbin area and the only thing I can
think of is that the top tension disc is too loose or damaged. This disc
is hard to get at with the back of the machine off. The service guy said
someone had been inside the machine who didn't know what they were doing
and he fixed all sorts of things.. just seems to have missed the tension
thing.

Any help would be very much appreciated

TIA

Mavis

Old May 6th 04, 03:10 PM
Ann Knight

On Wed, 5 May 2004 21:02:32 UTC, AmazeR wrote:

When I adjust the bobbin tension to the instruction manual on my Bernina
1000 the top tension has to be set at 9 on the dial in order to sew
normally. Normal top tension setting is 5. How do I reset the top
tension so that it is set on 5 for normal sewing?

I saw your article in alt.sewing--again, crossposting is your friend
here.

If you get a good stitch, why does it matter where the dial's set?
Just ignore the numbers.

Background information: I recently purchased this machine and had it
thoroughly overhauled. When I got it back the top tension was set on

5 (I
noticed that the tension disc was 'sloppy') and the bobbin tension

was set
extremely loose - like ridiculous! When I tried to hold the thread

in a
full bobbin inside the bobbin case, it had no tension to it at all...

Visit http://www.sewalot.com/tension_adjustments.htm for good info on
tension adjustment.

Old May 6th 04, 06:21 PM
Ron Anderson

Set the top back at 5 and adjust the bobbin case to a balanced stitch.
Or let a professional do it and leave it alone.

--
Ron Anderson
A1 Sewing Machine
news

Old May 7th 04, 02:36 AM
Taria

Curious as to whether the service was an authorized Bernina
dealer. If he was I would definitely go back and get it right.
Taria

Old May 7th 04, 11:29 AM
AmazeR

On Thu, 06 May 2004 17:21:05 +0000, Ron Anderson wrote:

Set the top back at 5 and adjust the bobbin case to a balanced stitch.
Or let a professional do it and leave it alone.

Thanks Ron.. I have tried this but the bobbin tension is so loose as to
be non-existent. I think I'll go with the professional. I looked at it
again today and got some headway on it but it's still not right.

Thank you though.

Mavis

Old May 7th 04, 11:31 AM
AmazeR

On Thu, 06 May 2004 14:10:12 +0000, Ann Knight wrote:

I saw your article in alt.sewing--again, crossposting is your friend
here.

Yes, I saw the article on crossposting and multiposting too late..
When I didn't get any replies there I decided to try here..

If you get a good stitch, why does it matter where the dial's set?
Just ignore the numbers.

Well, 10 is the top-most setting and if I have a very light-weight fabric
then I can't adjust much for it..

Mavis

Old May 7th 04, 11:35 AM
AmazeR

On Fri, 07 May 2004 01:36:20 +0000, Taria wrote:

Curious as to whether the service was an authorized Bernina
dealer. If he was I would definitely go back and get it right.
Taria

Hi Taria,

My father-in-law serviced it. The in-laws used to own a Bernina Sewing
Centre and he was a service technician then and services all of the
families machines now.. Somehow he didn't manage to get the top tension
right. He lives 7hrs drive away and freighting the machine to and fro
costs a small fortune..

I might take it into the local Bernina Centre and see if there isn't some
fault with it that we are not seeing.

Thank you everyone for your replies here..

Mavis

Old May 7th 04, 11:41 AM
AmazeR

On Thu, 06 May 2004 23:47:21 +0000, IMS wrote:

Visit http://www.sewalot.com/tension_adjustments.htm for good info on
tension adjustment.

Thank you Ann for the link. I'll look at it tomorrow when I'm not so
tired.

I'd bring it back to whoever did the overall, and ask tell them about
the problem. They may make it good. -Irene ------------------------

Hmm... The problem is that my FIL serviced it (a trained Bernina
service person) and he lives a long way away... I'll probably end up
taking it to the local Bernina shop.

Thank you to everyone who has replied here.

Mavis