Hi and crocheting pattern help needed....

Old July 2nd 06, 09:24 PM
goldengrl goldengrl is offline
Junior Member

Red face Hi and crocheting pattern help needed....

Hi I'm new here. I'm a knitter and I'm new to crocheting. But being new to crocheting I have finally run into some snags. I have a pattern from Lily Cotton for a shopping bag and in this pattern it has 2 things that I cant understand how to do.

1rst after doing 43 sc, it says do not turn. Then it says (working on the other side of ch, work 1 sc in each rem loop of chain. Join with ss to first sc. 84 sc.) So my question is, where in the world do I put these new sc. And how do I join it

I would love any kind of help that anyone cangive. Thanx,
Old July 3rd 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

Default Hi and crocheting pattern help needed....

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 21:24:04 +0100, goldengrl spun a fine yarn

Hi I'm new here. I'm a knitter and I'm new to crocheting. But being new
to crocheting I have finally run into some snags. I have a pattern from
Lily Cotton for a shopping bag and in this pattern it has 2 things that
I cant understand how to do.

1rst after doing 43 sc, it says do not turn. Then it says (working
on the other side of ch, work 1 sc in each rem loop of chain. Join with
ss to first sc. 84 sc.) So my question is, where in the world do I put
these new sc. And how do I join it

I would love any kind of help that anyone cangive. Thanx,

Hi, Goldengirl!
Welcome aboard, to the best NG on the net! I crochet, but tend to
knit MORE, and I'm a little tired and fuzzy today,... hoping someone
else will jump in with your answer, otherwise, I WILL, but tomorrow!
Noreen

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0626-3, 06/29/2006
Tested: 7/2/2006 8:15:17 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old July 3rd 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Hi Goldengrl,

Welcome to the group! Like Noreen, I knit more than I crochet lately,
but let me take a try.

I'm not sure how many you first chained, but probably 44 or so? Then
you single crocheted in all but the first chain? Now you are at the
end of the first row. Instead of turning and working across the single
crochets you just did, you are going to work across the back of the
original chain. So each of the chain stitches you originally did will
have 2 stitches in it, one on top and one on bottom.

When you have crocheted the second set of single stitches, you will be
back at the beginning, where you put your first sc originally. I would
join by using a slip stitch. It sounds like you are making something
that is oval. Is that it?

Hope this helps.

Hesira

Old July 3rd 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
SpikeDriver

goldengrl wrote:
Hi I'm new here. I'm a knitter and I'm new to crocheting. But being new
to crocheting I have finally run into some snags. I have a pattern from
Lily Cotton for a shopping bag and in this pattern it has 2 things that
I cant understand how to do.

1rst after doing 43 sc, it says do not turn. Then it says (working
on the other side of ch, work 1 sc in each rem loop of chain. Join with
ss to first sc. 84 sc.) So my question is, where in the world do I put
these new sc. And how do I join it

I would love any kind of help that anyone cangive. Thanx,

Hello Goldengrl,

Noreen should have recognized this patter, she has the bag you are
talking about.

Yes Hesira is correct, you are making an oval then adding several rows
before starting the diamond shapes you will make with the simple chain
stitch.

After you have your 42 single crochets you will crochet into the bottom
of all 42 single crochets giving you 84 stitches.

The bottom of the single crochets have one strand of yarn for the loop
your will be putting your crochet hook through.

When you get you 84 stitches, "42 on each side" you will join with a
slip stitch in the first single crochet as Hesira stated.

You will then chain one and make a single crochet in same stitch as
joining stitch.

That is it. I hope I was able to explain it ok. I mark the first and
43rd stitch with a stitch marker, moving every row. You will want to
check the count every row. I alleviates lot of heart ache.

Let me know if we were able to help and welcome to the best group on the
net.

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail
Old July 3rd 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Hesira , your explanation sounds like the one i would give , it might
be [looks to me that she starts the bag from the Bottom and now will
work it in the round , having made the 2 sided middle of the bag to be
.... mirjam