SIMPLE SHAWL PATTERN

Old June 29th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default SIMPLE SHAWL PATTERN

Hello all..I'm searching for a triangular shawl pattern. I have
trouble increasing, so I thought a pattern that is worked"upside down"
might be easier, starting with the widest edge. I am better at
decreasing (new knitter). Any assistance is much appreciated.
Thank you
Old June 29th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:32:31 -0400, KNITKNUT spun a fine yarn

Hello all..I'm searching for a triangular shawl pattern. I have
trouble increasing, so I thought a pattern that is worked"upside down"
might be easier, starting with the widest edge. I am better at
decreasing (new knitter). Any assistance is much appreciated.
Thank you
---

Simple answer for simple top down shawl:

cast on number of stitches wide that you need.
decrease via K2tog on one end and SSK on the other end on every other
row.
When down to 3 stitches, bind off.
Viola!
Welcome to the group, btw!
HTH,
Noreen

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0626-2, 06/28/2006
Tested: 6/29/2006 12:20:45 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old June 29th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:32:31 -0400, KNITKNUT
spewed forth :

Hello all..I'm searching for a triangular shawl pattern. I have
trouble increasing, so I thought a pattern that is worked"upside down"
might be easier, starting with the widest edge. I am better at
decreasing (new knitter). Any assistance is much appreciated.
Thank you

Cast on 501.

On odd rows (1, 3, 5...) decrease one stitch on either side of the
center stitch. On even rows decrease one stitch at either end AND one
stitch either side of the center stitch.

Do this until you have 7 stitches left, bind off.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old June 29th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 17:24:52 GMT, Wooly spewed forth :

Cast on 501.

On odd rows (1, 3, 5...) decrease one stitch on either side of the
center stitch. On even rows decrease one stitch at either end AND one
stitch either side of the center stitch.

Do this until you have 7 stitches left, bind off.

That'll be with ~worsted weight yarn, I should have said.

+++++++++++++

Old June 29th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

That is some cast on!
I had not thought about shawls starting out so long. Do you do them on sets
of DPN? Or, is this the ultimate argument for Dennis cable needle sets?

Old June 29th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

It is a hell of a cast on. I usually start at the top and work my way
out/down and make an applied sideways border. Cast on 7, cast off
maybe 12-15.

The one time I made a bottom-up triangular shawl it seemed like it
took forever - and that was just the cast on, which I did on a 60"
needle just to be safe.

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 18:52:00 GMT, spewed forth :

Old June 30th 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hallo Knitknut ,,,, yes like you i preffer decreasing over increasing
,,, the last Knitter`s has loads of shawls , but those start with the
smaller size ,,, thus here goes ....
make a GUAGUE SWATCH ,,,,,, = .. cast on 20 st in the wool you want to
knit your shawl with,,,, knit 10 rows , take off needles and lay over
a measure tape ,, in you copybook [for knitting] , write down wool
named xxxxx on needle number ZZZ 20 st= ??? cm [inches] .
Now if you have a sahwl measure in mind [wrap yourself in one or in a
piece of cloth ,,,, measure both short sides of the shawl and
calculate how many stiches you need for those , mark your middle ,
best advice have 1 middle stich , and make you decreases on both sides
of that one. decided upon pattern ,,,, knit 1 row as is ,,,, 2 row and
every alternative row ,,, knit [or purl as you chose pattern] 1 [side]
st, k 2 st together, knit till 2 stiches Before middle stich[ you
better put a mark of colored tread there ] knit 2 together, k1 [or
purl] , k2 togeher, knit till 3 before side , 2 together , k1 ,
alternative rows knit all .
i would advice finnishing aroud in some lacy way ....
mirjam

Hello all..I'm searching for a triangular shawl pattern. I have
trouble increasing, so I thought a pattern that is worked"upside down"
might be easier, starting with the widest edge. I am better at
decreasing (new knitter). Any assistance is much appreciated.
Thank you

Pattern material and matching glass [email protected] Glass 12 April 24th 06 04:53 AM
Modifying a pattern Slinky Yarn 5 May 10th 04 11:58 PM
thread crochet shawl pattern? Heather and Reggie Fulbright Yarn 2 May 1st 04 02:49 AM
Where can I find....Shawl Collar Jacket Pattern for Children Marilyn Krzus Sewing 2 November 4th 03 08:07 PM