Motivation Please.

Old September 16th 05, 05:26 AM
~KK in BC~

Default Motivation Please.

I seem to be in a slump. I go and fondle fabrics. I look at all my UFO's. I
shuffle stuff around in my little sewing area.......... nothing. It has been
ages now since I have had the inspiration to actually sew anything.
Today I figured I could get into the mood by finishing off some hems on some
table cloths. It didn't work. Nothing.
I looked at my books. I cleaned my house. I cooked big meals. I went for
walks. Changed the sights and come home and............. nothing.

What kind of motivators do you use when the slump hits?

~KK in BC~

--
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
I haven't outgrown the need to play with blocks.

koffee_kupz on Yahoo Messenger
-rarely use msn-
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Old September 16th 05, 06:12 AM
Irrational Number

~KK in BC~ wrote:

I seem to be in a slump. I go and fondle fabrics. I look at all my UFO's. I
shuffle stuff around in my little sewing area.......... nothing. It has been
ages now since I have had the inspiration to actually sew anything.

Buy some new fabric?
Get a new book?

I'm trying to find time to finish this
Katrina quilt. I can't sew when the
kids are awake because I have to tend
to them and I can't sew when they're
asleep because I may wake them...

-- Anita --
Old September 16th 05, 06:59 AM
Poke First National

This seems to affect us all at some stage, I guess life just gets in the way
for a time or tastes change for a little while. But for me (so far) I've
always been pulled back into my patchwork and quilting and mostly with a
real desire to "get on with it". I'm pretty sure this will happen
eventually for you too.
Hopefully something you read or click on to through this newgroup will set
you on the way again.
Best cheers,
Sally in Tasmania

Old September 16th 05, 06:59 AM
Cheryl

Just think of the blinding flash of inspiration that is lurking, waiting to
burst forth! Don't think of this as Quilter's Block (no pun intended) -
it's just a sabbatical!

Anyway - what's wrong with fabric fondling for a while? I get some of my
best ideas from FF.

If you need to get inspired Right Now - browse through the amazing webshots
pages from the NG. That should get the creative juices flowing. (BTW -
mundane sewing will NOT help. Trust me, I know!)

As a last resort, plan a week of full-on activity. As soon as you do you
will be overcome by the NEED to quilt!

--
Cheryl ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^
Enness Boofhead Donut

Old September 16th 05, 08:08 AM
Patti

I draw/design!
I go to my box file called 'possible sources of inspiration' and shuffle
through that. I will always see something that says 'Oi - you meant to
do something about me ages ago'! So, I'll take it to the graph paper
and play. I might never make any of the things (but, then again, I
might!), but I've had fun - no expense involved - and the mood has
lifted.
Anyway - there's no crime in just not feeling 'craft' from time to time.
Why should you think it is bad? It will pass.
Put your favourite UFO on top of the pile. If you get just a hint of a
sewing feeling, finish it. Then you might be away.
..
In message aQrWe.250858$tt5.85485@edtnps90, ~KK in BC~
writes
I seem to be in a slump. I go and fondle fabrics. I look at all my UFO's. I
shuffle stuff around in my little sewing area.......... nothing. It has been
ages now since I have had the inspiration to actually sew anything.
Today I figured I could get into the mood by finishing off some hems on some
table cloths. It didn't work. Nothing.
I looked at my books. I cleaned my house. I cooked big meals. I went for
walks. Changed the sights and come home and............. nothing.

What kind of motivators do you use when the slump hits?

~KK in BC~

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 16th 05, 11:39 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 04:26:46 GMT, "~KK in BC~"
wrote:

I seem to be in a slump. I go and fondle fabrics. I look at all my UFO's. I
shuffle stuff around in my little sewing area.......... nothing. It has been
ages now since I have had the inspiration to actually sew anything.
Today I figured I could get into the mood by finishing off some hems on some
table cloths. It didn't work. Nothing.
I looked at my books. I cleaned my house. I cooked big meals. I went for
walks. Changed the sights and come home and............. nothing.

What kind of motivators do you use when the slump hits?

~KK in BC~

Usually, that's just about when a friend or colleague tells me they
are pregnant. There's nothing like having a deadline! And a baby
quilt is a nice size to try something new; gratification isn't
instant, but it is a lot faster than doing a King-sized DWR, for
example.
But, back to the deadline thing... I think that's why I like to do
swaps so much. Even if I don't have a lot of time, I can work on
these when I have time, send the stuff off to the hostess on
time...and get back a whole lot of blocks to play with. In between
swaps, I've been chipping away at my UFO pile. With the success in
machine quilting swirlies on the latest baby quilt, I know I can
finish a UFO that is more than half-quilted!

-- Jo in Scotland
Old September 16th 05, 11:42 AM
Sharon Harper

Go to a free block website. Pick a block. Any block. Make it. Make a
bigger one, make a smaller one. It's fun.

quicker)

Old September 16th 05, 12:24 PM
Roberta Zollner

I get out the Black Hole Scrap Basket and start making little star blocks,
one at a time. Or other blocks, they don't have to be stars, whatever the
scraps will fit into. These blocks have no immediate purpose, they don't
have to "go" together, they have no deadline. And they don't need
inspiration. They let me feel the day wasn't wasted quilt-wise. And they
pile up to the point where I can eventually make a top with them. Also good
for hug blocks.
Roberta in D, Queen of the Scrap Heap

Old September 16th 05, 12:29 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:24:09 +0200, "Roberta Zollner"
wrote:

I get out the Black Hole Scrap Basket and start making little star blocks,
one at a time. Or other blocks, they don't have to be stars, whatever the
scraps will fit into. These blocks have no immediate purpose, they don't
have to "go" together, they have no deadline. And they don't need
inspiration. They let me feel the day wasn't wasted quilt-wise. And they
pile up to the point where I can eventually make a top with them. Also good
for hug blocks.
Roberta in D, Queen of the Scrap Heap

What kind of little stars do you make? Variable Stars? Friendship
stars? Enquiring minds want to know! I love star fabrics, star
blocks, basically star-anything. And my scrap basket overfloweth.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old September 16th 05, 03:30 PM
Marcella Peek

Cleaning the bathrooms. It's amazing how many things I would rather sew
than do that. :-)

marcella

motivation needed M Rimmer Quilting 16 July 5th 05 03:00 PM
Motivation, Decisions, Procrastination Pat in Virginia Quilting 15 August 27th 03 03:30 AM