Some great chain tutorials

Old February 26th 04, 03:47 AM
alex

Default Some great chain tutorials

I have made bracelets from some of these tutorials they are easy to follow
and you will be surprised at the results.
I also want to add that if you plan on making chain bracelets or necklaces
all of the time you should make you own links they are easy to make and much
cheaper than purchasing them. just ask and I'll let you know what you need
and how to do it

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~cweisige/inst.html
--
Alex
http://www.jaychantell.com

Old February 26th 04, 04:18 AM
alex

Just wanted to share, I wish I had pictures of some of the better stuff we
have made
We use to do a lot of wire and chain work and go through links like crazy,
so we purchased the tools we needed, now we can spit out hundreds of links
in 15 mins.
then Lampworking came along, and now the tools are dust collectors until we
get that jewelry making craving

--
Alex
http://www.jaychantell.com
"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "alex"
:

]I have made bracelets from some of these tutorials they are easy to

follow
]and you will be surprised at the results.

**smile** trust me - they have instructions in Wire Artist Jeweler.
i STILL need someone to SHOW me, because you have no idea just how
tangled up i can get! that's why i'm looking forward to taking one of
Lynda's classes - i've already got it marked on my electronic
calendar. For anyone close to Sacramento,
[http://www.thebeadgoddess.com/av_classes.htm]

]I also want to add that if you plan on making chain bracelets or

necklaces
]all of the time you should make you own links they are easy to make and

much
]cheaper than purchasing them. just ask and I'll let you know what you

need
]and how to do it

you know - - i thought about that several times. for me, it's one
more skill to have to learn and one more set of equipment to buy. and
honestly - i'd rather spend my time on the creative process. i don't
have enough of that as it is. so, every time i can, i buy my links
from Lynda [http://www.thebeadgoddess.com/rings.htm]. for me, it's
worth it to let someone else do it, when i know i can trust the
quality of the work. just like i may hire Harry for another project i
have in mind. i can only do so much. if chain was the ONLY thing i
was going to do, i might re-think my position.

but don't let that stop you from posting the links and the
information! i have to work a full-time job to try to make ends meet
- so i'm in a different place than some people!

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
newest creations: http://www.vickijean.com/new.html
-----------
The measure of the menace of a man is not what
hardware he carries, but what ideas he believes.-- Jeff Jordan

Old February 26th 04, 11:27 AM
lgreene

I agree about purchasing. I use a dremel with a ringer system (under
$100.00). I get my sterling for under 9.00/oz and make thousands of
rings...about 60% less than buying them pre cut.

But, there are a couple of places that offer beautifully cut rings.

I don't cut much copper ... I can get rigs cut for just very little, so I
spend my time cutting silver.

lisa

Old February 26th 04, 02:55 PM
Debbie B

What's a "ringer system"?

--
Debbie (New Mexico)
Life is too short

"alex" wrote in message
I have made bracelets from some of these tutorials they are easy to

follow
and you will be surprised at the results.
I also want to add that if you plan on making chain bracelets or

necklaces
all of the time you should make you own links they are easy to make and

much
cheaper than purchasing them. just ask and I'll let you know what you

need
and how to do it

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~cweisige/inst.html
--
Alex
http://www.jaychantell.com
Ebay ID - Jaychantell

---

Old February 26th 04, 03:17 PM
Siamese Cat (aka Beguile)

Thanks for the link. I'm finding it rather fascinating. I'm curious now
as to what tools are required to make the links, and costs (cause of course
I have to stagger my purchases with other things, like bills)

"alex" wrote in

Old February 26th 04, 03:52 PM
Tinkster

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:17:26 GMT, "Siamese Cat (aka Beguile)"
wrote:

Thanks for the link. I'm finding it rather fascinating. I'm curious now
as to what tools are required to make the links, and costs (cause of course
I have to stagger my purchases with other things, like bills)

The only tools I've had to use are two pair of pliers like these:
http://snipurl.com/4qqm

It's fun! And I'm not a jewelry-making person, so if I can do it, you
know it's pretty easy. LOL!

Tink
Old February 26th 04, 05:38 PM
Arleen

Thanks for that link Alex, I was interested in soldering, and that tutorial
was helpful, and I enjoyed looking a the different weaves...wow, there is so
much to learn!
Arleen

Old February 26th 04, 06:17 PM
scaperchick

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 03:47:26 GMT, "alex"
wrote:

I have made bracelets from some of these tutorials they are easy to follow
and you will be surprised at the results.
I also want to add that if you plan on making chain bracelets or necklaces
all of the time you should make you own links they are easy to make and much
cheaper than purchasing them. just ask and I'll let you know what you need
and how to do it

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~cweisige/inst.html

Those tutorials are wonderful! Thank you for putting them together!
Old February 26th 04, 09:00 PM
lgreene

A ringer system is a "thing" that helps you use your dremel or foredom to
cut rings. You wind the metal on a mandrel of the correct size, then insert
it in the (good lord, i am word retarded today) in my case, koil kutter,
tighten it, insert the blade into the guide, and cut the coil. Virtually no
metal loss, due to the minute width of the blade, and virtually no burrs.
there is another system called the jump ringer, i believe, that is several
hundred dollars.

i began with aviation shears, then graduated to a jewelers saw, and now use
the koil kutter.

i recently made a necklace that used almost 4300 rings, during a year i
might use 10's of thousands of rings...no more cutting by hand. I am likely
to get the jumpringer system soon, as mandrels are available in different
shapes, and it seems to be a more "industrial" system. The koil kutter,
though, has cut thousands and thousands of rings for me, though, so I'm
holding on to it as long as I can.

lg

"Debbie B" wrote in message
ink.net...