To all Brits ,,,, ARE YOU SAFE ???

Old June 26th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Default To all Brits ,,,, ARE YOU SAFE ???

While we have the unbeliebable heat wave i hear you have too much rain
[ please send us some } ,,,, Are you all safe ???
mirjam
Old June 26th 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shirley Shone

In message , Mirjam Bruck-Cohen
writes
While we have the unbeliebable heat wave i hear you have too much rain
[ please send us some } ,,,, Are you all safe ???
mirjam

We are safe here since we live on top of a hill, 640 feet above sea
level.
However we cannot get into our nearest town or city for shopping.

There is flooding in the valley below us about 1 mile away.
I feel sad for the people whose homes are under water and have lost a
lot of their household goods.
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old June 27th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 22:38:59 +0100, Shirley Shone wrote:

In message , Mirjam Bruck-Cohen
writes
While we have the unbeliebable heat wave i hear you have too much rain
[ please send us some } ,,,, Are you all safe ???
mirjam

We are safe here since we live on top of a hill, 640 feet above sea
level.
However we cannot get into our nearest town or city for shopping.

There is flooding in the valley below us about 1 mile away.
I feel sad for the people whose homes are under water and have lost a
lot of their household goods.
Shirley

Thank you Mirjam, yes we are safe. Scotland has escaped the storms so far
and it is the English Midlands, stretching from the west coast across
Wales and the central parts of England to the east coast that have
suffered the most.

Three people have died as far as is known; a man whose car was swept away,
a teenage boy who fell into a swollen river and a pensioner who was trying
to get away from the floods.

In the eastern part of England approximately 1000 people are still being
cared for in schools and community centres until electricity can be
restored, the floods subside and it becomes safe for them to return home.

Near Sheffield engineers have been working all day pumping out excess
water from the Ulley dam as cracks appeared in it's walls yesterday.
They seem to have it under control at the moment but more storms are
forecast for tomorrow in that area. Here are some links with more
information for you.

http://www.waterpowermagazine.com/st...ryCode=2045274

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1991389.ece

Bernadette

Old June 27th 07, 06:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

Bernadette wrote:
[...]

I am glad to hear you are all safe. My sister just spent a week in
Ireland and a week in Scotland. She just missed all the rain.

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail
Old June 27th 07, 09:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"YarnWright" wrote in message
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen spun a FINE 'yarn':

While we have the unbeliebable heat wave i hear you have too much rain
[ please send us some } ,,,, Are you all safe ???
mirjam

end quoted

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen. . .

Thank you for posting this and asking, Mirjam! I MEANT to ask, myself!
Noreen
who also extends hope for all our Brit friends.....

Well thanks, but how about those in other parts of the world where there is
heat and drought? I reckon they're much more dangerous, there's little
opportunity for escape.

Driving home from Wales yesterday we saw a lot of flooded pastureland and in
one field swimming sheep. It was just outside a town well-named Welshpool.
Rivers were swollen with brown water but it will subside and the few deaths
we've had won't compare with those from heat exhaustion and thirst. Spoilage
of material goods isn't such a terrible thing either - in my opinion.

Our flooding has nothing on the New Orleans one :-(

Mary

--
http://www.lulu.com/yarnwright
http://yarnwright.etsy.com

Old June 28th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

I drove down town Chicago to see Gail today. They had quite a rain
yesterday and many of the streets that go under other streets were
flooded and some people got stuck in water.

I guess it is hard for some people to figure out that cars don't run
well in three feet of water.

Gail is in good spirits but will need a lot of assistance when she get
home. She is still in the "Rehab Institute of Chicago,
http://www.ric.org/ .
It has a very neat web sight.

I hope all my friends across the pond stay safe and dry, you are in my
prayers.

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail

Old June 28th 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Spike Driver wrote:

Gail is in good spirits but will need a lot of assistance when she get
home. She is still in the "Rehab Institute of Chicago,
http://www.ric.org/ .
It has a very neat web sight.

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail

Sounds like she is in the right place for her at present, although it is
also very hard on you, having to drive all that way to see her.

Will you be able to arrange for the support she needs when you get her
home again? Will your insurance cover it?? (One thing I have found
out over the years is that cleaning help - such a simple thing - is
invaluable. In fact, I called our local agency the other day to arrange
some for me and dh.)

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

Old June 28th 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

Olwyn Mary wrote:
Spike Driver wrote:

Gail is in good spirits but will need a lot of assistance when she get
home. She is still in the "Rehab Institute of Chicago,
http://www.ric.org/ .
It has a very neat web sight.

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail

Sounds like she is in the right place for her at present, although it is
also very hard on you, having to drive all that way to see her.

Will you be able to arrange for the support she needs when you get her
home again? Will your insurance cover it?? (One thing I have found
out over the years is that cleaning help - such a simple thing - is
invaluable. In fact, I called our local agency the other day to arrange
some for me and dh.)

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

Olwyn Mary,
I have good insurance but never thought of long term care insurance. I
have to pay out of pocket for home care. I am make just enough to miss
help and Medicare does not pay for long term home care.

Yes, she is in the right spot now. Thanks for the king thoughts.
Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail
Old June 29th 07, 08:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

Wow... stay away from the news and computer news for a couple of days and
look what I missed. I am so sorry to hear of the horrible flooding going
on, and glad that our rcty British friends are safe.

Hmmm... here I was having a little gripe about our sudden downpour we had
yesterday... only griped because the flat roof over the foyer and the back
part of the house (the kitchen and laundryroom) leaked and we were going
around setting out pots and buckets. Nothing anywhere near as drastic as
what I am reading here that has been happening in other areas of the
world... but what a cloud-burst.

The rains came fast and furious (it was badly needed, mind you... it had
been three weeks or so since we had any and the grass was brittle), and then
the thunder and lightning started up. I just nicely stepped out into the
foyer to watch the water rushing down the street and seeing parents running
across the street in the heavy rains to pick their children up from their
the last day of school... Casper (our youngest, but largest fur baby) joined
"Mama" to look out the window as he always does. Suddenly a HUGE flash of
lightning streaked and a very loud BANG of thunder boomed (the lightning
seemed like it had hit the road right in front of the house, it was so
bright and seemed that close. Poor Casper about face and bolted back into
the house with his tail tucked up between his legs. He is normally fairly
calm as long as he sits or stands beside me, but that really started the
poor baby so much he just took off running as fast as his feet could carry
him. Needless to say the TV and computer were quickly turned off to wait
out the storm which lasted about 45 minutes or so. But, like I said... the
grass and gardens did need the rain, so can't complain too much... and it
took the heatwave away for a while too. In fact it was a bit chilly today,
not like summer at all.

Stay safe and healthy, everyone!

*hugs*
Gemini

news

Old June 29th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message
Wow... stay away from the news and computer news for a couple of days and
look what I missed. I am so sorry to hear of the horrible flooding going
on, and glad that our rcty British friends are safe.

Last Friday night, a small town 30 minutes straight south of where I live
was torn apart by an F4 tornado. Thankfully, no one was killed. A local
mill was damaged and 19 people are out of work for now. Article and picture
links below:
http://tinyurl.com/2cywz9
http://tinyurl.com/2ys55y

This was just a little too close for comfort for me. I live in a mobile
home and would have to run if I knew a tornado was coming. On Saturday
night there was a terrible storm in cottage country and 1500 cottages and
cabins were damaged.
http://tinyurl.com/2gzdst

Since we get severe weather here every summer I'm not going to hop on the
climate change bandwagon yet.

Shelagh