Linen thread for hemstitching

Old January 26th 04, 07:28 AM
SarahEmm

Default Linen thread for hemstitching

I tried asking this on the uk group but got no reply -

I bought some linen to make a tablecloth, but I haven't been able to
find linen thread. I did try a lacemaking site, but I wasn't sure what
type of thread to order and they never responded to my email. Can
anyone help? A US source would be fine.

I should add that I need *sewing* thread, not embroidery or buttonhole
thread; and a medium to fine weight (it shouldn't be very visible when
finished - just the pulled threads).

Many thanks...

SarahEmm
Old January 26th 04, 12:52 PM
Trishty

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 06:28:32 +0000, SarahEmm wrote:

I tried asking this on the uk group but got no reply -

I bought some linen to make a tablecloth, but I haven't been able to
find linen thread. snip

I did notice you'd got no reply to this. I don't know a source for linen
thread. I hemstitch my linens with rayon embroidery thread by Madeira. The
rayon has a soft sheen, which contrasts very prettily. If you want to try
it, I order mine from www.barnyarns.com.

Trish
Old January 26th 04, 01:22 PM
Jenn Ridley

SarahEmm "my name with an extra m" @yahoo.co.uk wrote:

I tried asking this on the uk group but got no reply -

I bought some linen to make a tablecloth, but I haven't been able to
find linen thread. I did try a lacemaking site, but I wasn't sure what
type of thread to order and they never responded to my email. Can
anyone help? A US source would be fine.

I should add that I need *sewing* thread, not embroidery or buttonhole
thread; and a medium to fine weight (it shouldn't be very visible when
finished - just the pulled threads).

AFAIK, there is no such thing as linen sewing thread. You will need
to use a fine embroidery thread, which will probably work just fine.

Londonderry sells a 100/3 linen thread which will probably work just
fine for hem stitching (since it is often used for that in finishing
linens). You should be able to find a supplier in the UK.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley

Old January 26th 04, 02:19 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: SarahEmm "myname with an extra m" @yahoo.co.uk

I bought some linen to make a tablecloth, but I haven't been able to
find linen thread. .... I should add that I need *sewing* thread, not

embroidery or buttonhole
thread ........

Have you tried any of the heirloom sewing sites? I don't do any heirloom
type sewing but I know they have a lot of specialty items and they work a lot
with fine fabrics. Martha Pullen has her own site http://marthapullen.com
you might try there and see what you can see.
Also try posting over at RCTN. There are a number of people who do heirloom
embroidery and sewing and they might have some recommendations for you. Dianne
Lewandowski is the resident RCTN mayven on this type of stuff and if linen
sewing thread is available, she'll probably know where to find it! If you
prefer not to post to RCTN, you can contact Dianne through her e-shop website
http://www.heritageshoppe.com . Let us know if you find the thread, OK?
CiaoMeow ^;;^
..

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old January 27th 04, 05:29 PM

Check out this site

http;//najecki.com/repro/Notions.html

NAYY
I haven't ordered from them yet.

Julie
Richmond, VA

SarahEmm "my name with an extra m" @yahoo.co.uk said...

Old January 28th 04, 03:20 PM
joy beeson

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 06:28:32 +0000, SarahEmm "my name with
an extra m" @yahoo.co.uk wrote:

I bought some linen to make a tablecloth, but I haven't been able to
find linen thread. I did try a lacemaking site, but I wasn't sure what
type of thread to order and they never responded to my email. Can
anyone help? A US source would be fine.

http://www.vansciverbobbinlace.com/2Threads.html

http://www.vansciverbobbinlace.com/

http://www.snowgoose.cc/

http://www.lacis.com/catalog/catalog.html

http://www.needleworkcorner.com/needle.htm

Above are three sites that I've seen recommended on the
lace-making lists, and the last is an embroidery house where
I bought my last batch of Medici for darning. (I figured
that I should include one where I've actually bought stuff.)
Somewhere, there is a spinner who makes linen sewing thread
to order, but I've mislaid the URL. I don't think she did
the really-fine threads anyway.

Decent linen thread is hard to find, because there is so
much hand labor in making the truly-fine thread -- the
plants have to be harvested by pulling them up by the roots,
for example -- that many of the best strains have been
allowed to go extinct.

I use DMC Cordonnette when I need a good cotton thread.
Unfortunately, they no longer make it in sizes smaller than
100/3, equal to common #50 sewing thread.

When I made my linen cycling jersey, I did all the top
stitching with warp threads raveled from a scrap of the
fabric. Even though the fabric was cheap, the threads were
of excellent quality, and almost didn't need waxing. I've
left the scrap pinned to the curtain in case I want to sew
something else with a fine, bright-yellow, linen thread.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~beeson_n3f/ -- Writers' Exchange

Old January 28th 04, 07:58 PM
Penny S

joy beeson wrote:
When I made my linen cycling jersey,

linen cycle jersey? Now you have my attention!! Do tell....

Penny S

Old January 28th 04, 10:47 PM
Sarah Dale

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 06:28:32 +0000, SarahEmm wrote:
I bought some linen to make a tablecloth, but I haven't been able to
find linen thread. I did try a lacemaking site, but I wasn't sure what

Hmmm... I don't know what anyone else has used, but I have just used plain
off the shelf Gutterman polyester sewing thread for making a couple of
linen / linen blend blouses. I'm planning to do the same for the next two
linen blouses. Mine seems to be holding up OK.

YMMV, Sarah
Old January 29th 04, 01:02 PM
Kate Dicey

Sarah Dale wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 06:28:32 +0000, SarahEmm wrote:
I bought some linen to make a tablecloth, but I haven't been able to
find linen thread. I did try a lacemaking site, but I wasn't sure what

Hmmm... I don't know what anyone else has used, but I have just used plain
off the shelf Gutterman polyester sewing thread for making a couple of
linen / linen blend blouses. I'm planning to do the same for the next two
linen blouses. Mine seems to be holding up OK.

YMMV, Sarah

I use cotton for machine sewing and silk for any hand finishing.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 29th 04, 02:49 PM
joy beeson

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 10:58:09 -0800, "Penny S"
wrote:

linen cycle jersey? Now you have my attention!! Do tell....

Woven linen -- it's just a long-sleeved pullover shirt with
pockets in the back. And two more in front -- us old ladies
like to keep our candy handy.

Still haven't figured out how to close the sleeves. Pinning
is a real pain, I can't tie a drawstring one-handed, and I'm
adamantly-opposed to elastic in hot weather, even
linen-encased elastic. Leaving them open isn't an option; I
went riding in straight sleeves once -- and scooped up a
wasp. Since I was still in the habit of getting a welt six
inches across -- somehow (knock wood) I outgrew that -- I
very nearly didn't make it home. Amazing how much you use
the right hand while riding.

Picture at
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson...W/LINJERSY.HTM

I have removed the drawstring at the waist since taking the
picture.

The long pants in the photo are also linen.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~beeson_n3f/ -- Writers' Exchange
joy beeson at earthlink dot net

FS sewing embroidery,crochet,cross stich thread 80% off Great Deals Marketplace 0 January 20th 05 01:58 PM
Linen thread Marie Lawrence Needlework 1 January 13th 05 01:21 PM
NEWEmbroidery thread sewing thread for sale with pictures check it out Sewing & Embroidery Deals Marketplace 0 December 10th 04 07:21 PM
how do I size thread? Jean Peach Needlework 1 July 11th 03 05:30 PM
how do I size thread? Jean Peach Sewing 1 July 11th 03 05:30 PM