student quilt update and a question

Old August 20th 03, 08:37 PM
Joy Quilts

Default student quilt update and a question

This is what I would do:

a) cut the fabric in half lengthwise and then stitch the 2 pieces together
with a seam down the middle

--
A Joy in Hawaii (who is itchin' to do some stitchin' ;0))
http://community.webshots.com/user/joyquilts
"CNYstitcher" wrote in message
Okay, all the borders are attached, and I am drying the backing fabric
now. Here is the question....the fabric is 45" wide, and more than
twice as long as is needed to match the size of the quilt top, would I:
a) cut the fabric in half lengthwise and then stitch the 2 pieces
together with a seam down the middle, or would I
b)cut the fabric in half lengthwise, then take one of the resulting
pieces and cut it in half widthwise. The resulting pieces would then be
sewn together so that there are 2 seams in the backing, but off to the
sides/not in the middle???

I hope I worded these right so that people can understand where I am.

larisa, glad that the batting is at least more than large enough with no
piecing required

Old August 20th 03, 08:46 PM
Pat in Virginia

Larisa:
Not sure if I follow you. Lengthwise normally refers to parallel
to the selvedges (at least in my family) but you seem to indicate
it is from one selvage to another. This is where I am a tad
confused. Heck, I am really confused but that is my normal
condition!!
Anyhow ... the usual guidelines (for judges, et. al.) are to
avoid one seam down the back; two seams (three sections) are
preferred but not mandatory. You do NOT need the sections to be
equal, but you also do not want the two side sections to be too
narrow.
Capice? PAT

Old August 20th 03, 09:27 PM
Jennifer Hepworth

Hi Larisa, my preferred method for backings that need to be seamed is
as follows: 1. Remove the selvage edges. 2. Fold the fabric, right
sides together and sew both selvage edge seams,the full length (you now
have a large bag) 3.Press open the seams and iron across the bottom
fold of the bag - Use your dressmaker's scissors and sliver cut the
bottom fold - now you have a tube of backing fabric. 4. Place one open
end of the tube over the end of the ironing board and thread it over the
board - find the centre lengthwise fold of one of the pieces and lay it
uppermost the length of the ironing board - Use your scissors to cut
down the full length (if space is going to be tight) or find the centre
and rip the fabric down the centre fold.
You now have a stitched 3piece backing with no centre seam that is ready
for sandwiching.
Jennifer in Ottawa

------

Group: rec.crafts.textiles.quilting Date: Wed, Aug 20, 2003, 6:38pm
(EDT+4) From: (CNYstitcher)

Old August 21st 03, 01:54 AM
CNYstitcher

got it, and I figured i had messed up in my question. But hey...you
figured out what I was trying to say :-)

Old August 21st 03, 07:33 PM
Diana Curtis

Oooh.. for once I got something just from the description! thanks Jennifer!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44