Choice of slab rollers

Old January 2nd 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Default Choice of slab rollers

After reading lots and lots about the many s-r s out there, I've narrowed my
pics to Northstar vs Bailey -- 24", standard models. Can't find any real
user notes about the Northstar with its nylon gears. This equipment will
not be my main worker and I'm not going into great production, so the nylon
doesn't sound too off. Questions: can the gears be replaced if they wear
out by the user? What opinions do you all have on these two machines --
especially comparisons.
Thanks for the help.
Kathy Fields

Old January 3rd 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Not very impressed with nylon gears; unhappy experiences in the past
(not with North Star). That said, things may have improved a bit by now.

We've handled a couple of the Bailey DRDll's and were impressed with the
build quality and its ability to go to a specified thickness in one
pass. That would be my choice.

Steve
Bath
UK

In article , Stuart &
Kathryn Fields writes

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old January 4th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

We have a Northstar 30" with nylon gears. We have been using it for 5 plus
years and no problems whatever. We use it almost every day as 75 percent of
our work is handbuilt. Feel free to contact me if you need any more
information.
Richard
.. .

Old January 4th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

i have one of these http://www.euclids.com/fremasr.htm. metal gears. it
works well. some assembly required though.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

. ..

Old January 6th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

I have a Northstar and am in love with it. You might want something else if
you are a big producer, but for my purposes the price was right. If you are
a hobbyist, you might want to consider a table top model if you have
something already to mount the slab roller on.

--
Stephanie Coleman
University of Phoenix Online