Swedish Christmas Straw Goats

Old November 14th 04, 01:29 AM
Kellie J. Berger

Default Swedish Christmas Straw Goats

does anyone have a drawing or picture of these that i might be able to adapt
to applique? I am working on designing a Christmas quilt (for me) using
symbols which remind me of Christmases growing up. Having a hard time with
this one even though the goats IRL are fairly simple. Unfortunately i don't
have any here anymore and the pics i am finding are at odd angles, not good
for applique.
Might just have to go with a pic of a straw heart, but would rather the
goat!

-- kellie
bergerk at sbcglobal dot net
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ber....net/my_photos

Old November 14th 04, 01:36 AM
maryd

This is the best picture I could find
http://www.ingridsgifts.net/product....STRAWGOAT-11.5

--
Mary
m...

Old November 14th 04, 01:43 AM
Denise G.

I've never seen a straw goat. What does he symbolize?

Denise in NH
My quilt guild:
www.amoskeagqg.org

Old November 14th 04, 02:21 AM
Kellie J. Berger

not really sure what he symbolizes. But they are often found in front yards
or hanging on/around the Christmas tree. Usually tied with red ribbon.
Goats are evidently very important in Scandinavian history though. And many
of the "traditional" Christmas decorations I've seen are woven from straw or
carved from wood.
We had a Swedish exchange student back in 1980 and she brought some for our
tree that year, and for most years since we've had them out as decorations.
They are neat little guys!

Old November 14th 04, 02:38 AM
Ellison

Howdy!
New one for me, so I looked around:
"from mia"
http://www.santas.net/swedishchristmas.htm
http://www.twilightbridge.com/hobbie...straw_goat.htm

Back to quilting...
Ragmop/Sandy

Old November 14th 04, 09:18 AM
Krysia Thompson

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 16:36:18 -0800, "maryd"
wrote:

This is the best picture I could find
http://www.ingridsgifts.net/product....STRAWGOAT-11.5

I saw them in IKEA, so maybe a similar picture could be found on
their website?

Krysia
K.T. - starannie opakowana
Old November 14th 04, 03:26 PM
Roberta Zollner

2 goats draw Thor's chariot. (Thor Thursday = Thor's day, Nordic god of
thunder)
When the Christian church moved north, it gradually incorporated a lot of
pagan customs, but also put out a lot of anti-pagan propaganda. Thus goats,
black cats, pentagons etc. became symbols of the devil. (2 black cats pull
the chariot of Freya, the fertility goddess.) We don't always think about
it, but the Scandinavian countries did not become Christian until about 1000
years ago, and that was "officially" Christian, i.e. by royal decree.
Ordinary people certainly continued to do as they had always done, more or
less, although a lot of it went underground. I lived in Denmark for a long
time, and little straw goats and black cats were fairly common Christmas
tree decorations.
Roberta in D, home of the Christmas tree and ancient tree-worshippers

Old November 15th 04, 04:10 AM
Clooniff

Donald Duck for Christmas?!? Must be something like the Wizard of Oz for
Easter.

Betty in CT

Old November 15th 04, 04:37 AM
Tracey

How about this one:
http://www.genuinescandinavia.com/de..._ID=CR-2002-21

Old November 15th 04, 09:36 AM
Krysia Thompson

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:10:10 -0500, "Clooniff"
wrote:

Donald Duck for Christmas?!? Must be something like the Wizard of Oz for
Easter.

Betty in CT

Duck for Christmas sounds better than goose, teheheheheheh

Krysia
K.T. - starannie opakowana